• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc NMDA antagonists natural occurence ?

peruquet

Greenlighter
Obviously,

y'all know psychedelics, stimulants, cannabinoids, and deliriants exist and come from mother Nature.

What about our merry friends : 'em dissociatives ?

Don't tell me about iboga, because Ibogaine is not primarily a dissociative

Amanitas perhaps are eligible, I don't know.

Anyways, thanks.

They occur naturally as conantokin peptides in the venom of cone snails - see here - Conantokins: peptide antagonists of NMDA receptors.

It's not really known if these act as dissociatives though, because cone snail venom is typically lethal. I'm not sure if these peptides themselves are dangerous - the paper above seems to indicate that they may not be, necessarily, possessing, to quote the brief "favourable safety profiles." But in any case no-one, to my knowledge, has tried to isolate or synthesise any of these peptides for the purpose of ingestion by humans. It's possible also that these peptides would not survive being ingested orally, many peptides are not stable in the presence of digestive enzymes, and thus would require inconvenient ROAs even if they were to end up, in their refined form, in the possession of someone with an interest in consuming them.

That said, I hope that it happens one day, assuming it can be done safely! I posted a thread about these peptides a while back after seeing an entry on PsychonautWiki listing these as a novel class of dissociatives, but this was since removed as being highly speculative and completely theoretical. But it's interesting speculation, for sure.

Alcohol. But its weak and fuzzy due to other interactions. I cant really think of a naturall disso. They seem to come primary from the hand of man.

Magnesium, but it is a very weak one I believe. I’ve found Magnesium l-threonate has a similar antidepressant like action that I get in the afterglow of ketamine. It also potentiates stimulants and empathogens like ketamine does too.

-GC

NMDA antagonists act on several receptors, including Glutamate and GABA, which are a balance of excitatory and inhibiting, just 1 COOH group apart. (Glutamate is 4-COOH-GABA)

I was just thinking the other day that Fly Agaric was inching very close to being a natural dissociative. Others, Alcohol, Nitrous oxide, Diethyl ether and many small hydrocarbon compounds.

imo, That's very sad

It may mean we'll never be able to call NMDA dissociatives : a classical Gift of Mother Nature like say, psychedelics

; which means, we can't build a solid religion around them, saying they are on earth for an (evolutionary) purpose

^ Humans created (most of) them, humans are from the Earth and Mother Nature, not sure I see the issue if you're hellbent on creating a religion around every substance you enjoy. ;) God inspired the chemists who created them, if you like. Although I question the wisdom and the need to do this - see the Naturalistic fallacy.