• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Nitrous Oxide) - Experienced - Life Changing Problems

I have the same issue, on a few separate occasions in my life I've tried Nitrous and experienced zero effects...

First time was with a group of friends and they were all laughing their asses off, I felt stone cold sober. Tried again next day, nothing.

Then on another occasion I was determined to get a buzz from it so I did canister after canister. balloon after balloon hoping to feel something..nope.

Prior to that I guess I've used/abused ketamine and pcp for some years so figured my NMDA receptors are fucked.

I have the same issue, on a few separate occasions in my life I've tried Nitrous and experienced zero effects...

First time was with a group of friends and they were all laughing their asses off, I felt stone cold sober. Tried again next day, nothing.

Then on another occasion I was determined to get a buzz from it so I did canister after canister. balloon after balloon hoping to feel something..nope.

Prior to that I guess I've used/abused ketamine and pcp for some years so figured my NMDA receptors are fucked.
That has got to constitute brain damage.

There is definite cross tolerance with other dissociatives but some people don't experience a strong effect simply because they don't achieve a sufficient blood level. Nitrous oxide builds in the blood stream over time, and this only occurs after continuous administration. Even with a tolerance nitrous oxide is capable of anesthetizing anyone, even someone with dissociative tolerance.

What makes nitrous oxide noticeably more euphoric than other dissociatives is aside from blockade of NMDA is its opioidergic and GABAergic properties (at the BZD binding site apparently). The analgesic effects are reversed by naloxone and anxiolytic effect is reversed by flumazenil. The psychotomimetic (ie, psychedelic) effects are NMDA blockade mediated.

The problem is nitrous oxide is very tricky to use in the form of whippets. The little bursts of gas are not conducive to achieving the steady blood levels needed to induce narcosis. It takes practice and mastery of breathing. It also gets dangerous since it is not mixed with oxygen (as it is in a clinical setting) and an easy way to induce hypoxia. Too much N20 in the blood stream can starve the brain of oxygen even if you breathe freely after.

It is a dangerous drug. It can remove the protective myelin that coats the outside of nerves which in severe cases can result in symptoms the resemble multiple sclerosis.

At its peak it can be overwhelming euphoric (rivaling IV heroin -- and I used to be a heavy heroin user) but this is hard to achieve (can take at least 30 minutes to get there). These blissful states are inconsistently produced.

I used to abuse it heavily, at around 72 cartridges a day. I don't mess it with anymore. Feels toxic and messes with my lungs.

Yeah it really does some gnarly stuff to my lungs, too. I hardly ever do it but really enjoy it on psychedelics.

How long have you been using nitrous oxide out of curiosity?
About 40 years off and on. I was heavy into it in the 80s and 90s using that 20 pound bottle, then I quit for about 12 years and I am back into it with whipits. The loader cracker I made makes it pretty easy to burn 100 in an evening. I am working on tuning the dosing a little because you real,ly don't need more than ione every 2 minutes or so to keep the buzz going. Right now I am working on adding oxygen to the mix. I know that actually enhances the effect and it makes it a whole lot safer. I am going back to the solenoid valves I was using with the 20 pound tank,. I think if you keep a buffer tank of oxygen at around 3 or 4 PSI, then add the nitrous as required you can keep a steady supply going without wasting a lot of nitrous.
BTW I emptied out the siphon bottle the other day and this is how much oil I collected in the bottle from around 4000 carts, not including what was carried out and trapped in the filter and what stayed stuck in the bottle
Oil%20in%20carts.JPG

There is definite cross tolerance with other dissociatives but some people don't experience a strong effect simply because they don't achieve a sufficient blood level. Nitrous oxide builds in the blood stream over time, and this only occurs after continuous administration. Even with a tolerance nitrous oxide is capable of anesthetizing anyone, even someone with dissociative tolerance.

What makes nitrous oxide noticeably more euphoric than other dissociatives is aside from blockade of NMDA is its opioidergic and GABAergic properties (at the BZD binding site apparently). The analgesic effects are reversed by naloxone and anxiolytic effect is reversed by flumazenil. The psychotomimetic (ie, psychedelic) effects are NMDA blockade mediated.

The problem is nitrous oxide is very tricky to use in the form of whippets. The little bursts of gas are not conducive to achieving the steady blood levels needed to induce narcosis. It takes practice and mastery of breathing. It also gets dangerous since it is not mixed with oxygen (as it is in a clinical setting) and an easy way to induce hypoxia. Too much N20 in the blood stream can starve the brain of oxygen even if you breathe freely after.

It is a dangerous drug. It can remove the protective myelin that coats the outside of nerves which in severe cases can result in symptoms the resemble multiple sclerosis.

At its peak it can be overwhelming euphoric (rivaling IV heroin -- and I used to be a heavy heroin user) but this is hard to achieve (can take at least 30 minutes to get there). These blissful states are inconsistently produced.

I used to abuse it heavily, at around 72 cartridges a day. I don't mess it with anymore. Feels toxic and messes with my lungs.
Yeah have you ever wiped the inside of a cream dispenser after going thru a few boxes? Yuck.

About 40 years off and on. I was heavy into it in the 80s and 90s using that 20 pound bottle, then I quit for about 12 years and I am back into it with whipits. The loader cracker I made makes it pretty easy to burn 100 in an evening. I am working on tuning the dosing a little because you real,ly don't need more than ione every 2 minutes or so to keep the buzz going. Right now I am working on adding oxygen to the mix. I know that actually enhances the effect and it makes it a whole lot safer. I am going back to the solenoid valves I was using with the 20 pound tank,. I think if you keep a buffer tank of oxygen at around 3 or 4 PSI, then add the nitrous as required you can keep a steady supply going without wasting a lot of nitrous.
BTW I emptied out the siphon bottle the other day and this is how much oil I collected in the bottle from around 4000 carts, not including what was carried out and trapped in the filter and what stayed stuck in the bottle
Oil%20in%20carts.JPG

How often do you use it and at what "dosage". Never met a long term nitrous oxide user so the information is interesting to me.

I am intrigued too Gary. I have read a lot of your posts about how to do nitrous and they are detailed and logical. Thanks for hitting the board with info.

I try to stay between 50 and 100 once a week. When I had the 20# my wife and I were using a bottle a month or more, usually all at one time. The sex was fantastic tho.

Yeah have you ever wiped the inside of a cream dispenser after going thru a few boxes? Yuck.
That was why I came up with a 0.3 micron filter and oil absorber in front of that. The stuff coming out is clean and tastes good.

I try to stay between 50 and 100 once a week. When I had the 20# my wife and I were using a bottle a month or more, usually all at one time. The sex was fantastic tho.

What brand cartridges do you use? I found that anything made in Asia is trash and contaminated.

real men save the earth and go through about a 10 lb tank a week

More like destroying the earth 😬 Nitrous oxide is something like 300 times as potent of a greenhouse gas than CO2 and also damages the ozone layer 😌

This was a decent read but you are in no way the number one n2o abuser ever. You were still using n20 cartridges. That's beginner shit. If you were filling 50lb n2o tanks on the regular and using it daily I would agree with you.

I had a 20 pounder and I have gone back for a swap half way through a weekend so I think I qualify as a player. Right now I try to hold myself down to 100 at a time but last night it was more like 180. (~3 pounds)
That thing I made makes it real easy to pop a lot of carts.
I am using whatever is cheap at the time. I try to get 600 for around $200 but lately that is more like $230-240. Still cheaper than a night out.
I am using real whip its now but I also use Leland Creamers. They all have oil in them. That is what you get if you can get USP grade instead of food grade,. There is no oil in USP grade.
The filter I have does a good job of cleaning them up.

600 lasts me about a month.
You can easily spend close to $100 on a night out tho. A decent dinner with a few drinks is at least $50 and $30 at a movie is about right if you buy some popcorn.

Well that's a good point, for some reason I was thinking of like buying drinks at a bar only, not eating/etc.

To those who find their way to this thread - it would appear the OP took his life after some long bouts of in and out homelessness/unemployment.

He did get to see his grown son, who he'd stated he hadn't gotten to be with in quite some time, slightly over a month before his passing. He was very happy to be able to see him.

His issues from what he's talked to us about here seemed to stay with him until the very end, I guess let that be some form of forewarning for us all.