• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Nitrous oxide as an acute, generally benign anti depressant?

deruyityn

Bluelighter
I never knew that it was a nmda antagonist.

This article http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/836727 says that it shares the rapid and lasting anti depressant properties of ketamine with less side effects.

This may fit my extremely strict criteria of what substance I am willing to take. Sure it isn't ideal to be huffing those stupid canisters but it ticks my other boxes- a natural substance which existed before testing on animals. Relatively benign/non toxic. Easy to get hold of (and legal as a bonus (for now)). If I could get on a quick regimen of this then maybe I could make some changes in my life before it gets banned.

Thoughts?

A local kid died from whippets a few months ago. The local, cheap high just isn't worth it.

A local kid died from whippets a few months ago. The local, cheap high just isn't worth it.

This is simply inaccurate, you can not die from too much nitrous. You can die of lack of oxygen or falling over but you can not die from inhaling nitrous from a balloon and then inhaling air afterwards. That is not to say that it is completely safe to use all the time it is just almost impossible to OD on nitrous and die as a result of too much nitrous, provided you are in an oxygen environment you will simply pass out and resume breathing normally.

would a condom be strong enough to hold the gas?

No a condom will not work (even if it might) that sounds dangerous just get a balloon. Go to a pharmacy or even a gas station might have 12 inch happy birthday balloons, not as easy as punch balloons but they will work. And as far as a cure for depression it is my belief that you need to fix more then just a chemical imbalance so sure it will help you be able to discuss your problems maybe without feeling so connected to the issues by nature of using a substance but it will not fix you.

I recommend therapy and no additional drugs. They are good tools but i really think that people who are depressed need to try a huge range of therapies because we are talking about quality of life and you can never have too many plans or attempts to fix your life or add happiness.

I never knew that it was a nmda antagonist.

This article http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/836727 says that it shares the rapid and lasting anti depressant properties of ketamine with less side effects.

This may fit my extremely strict criteria of what substance I am willing to take. Sure it isn't ideal to be huffing those stupid canisters but it ticks my other boxes- a natural substance which existed before testing on animals. Relatively benign/non toxic. Easy to get hold of (and legal as a bonus (for now)). If I could get on a quick regimen of this then maybe I could make some changes in my life before it gets banned.

Thoughts?

I LOVE nitrous but deuryityn, what benefit would you be looking to get out of it??

Everytime we speak you talk about wanting a drug that would help you be more social or help with your anxiety but Nitrous isn't going to do either of those things and each hit of nitrous only lasts about 2 minutes before it wears off and you need to take another.

Why would it interest you seeing as you seem to have no real interest in "getting high" so to speak and only want drugs you can use for social and generalized anxiety??

Also, your link doesn't seem to lead to an article but rather a place for someone to put in their username on that site and I don't have one.

Any other way I can see it or can you at least sum it up for me??

Nitrous is extremely safe and the only way you can die is not getting enough oxygen by being hooked up to a tank or mask and not stopping to take enough breaths.

The nitrous itself cannot kill you and it's relatively rare for deaths to occur even though they do SOMETIMES but alcohol kills a WHOLE SHITLOAD more people than nitrous.

I personally LOVE nitrous and I absolutely 100% believe that the high is worth it to do every few months so long as you don't do it WAY too much because it does kill a lot of brain cells.

Ah yes strangely it works when you follow the link via google but I also get the login thing following from bluelight. So just right click and search in google for that link/copy and paste the link into google then click on the link in google results.

The idea behind nmda antagonists (I hypothesise) is not the staying high but it seems to offer like a reset for the mind which then clears your head for a while. It makes sense to me because those kind of drugs are similar to meditation in that sense in that they dissociate you from your ego.

I LOVE nitrous but deuryityn, what benefit would you be looking to get out of it??

Everytime we speak you talk about wanting a drug that would help you be more social or help with your anxiety but Nitrous isn't going to do either of those things and each hit of nitrous only lasts about 2 minutes before it wears off and you need to take another.

Why would it interest you seeing as you seem to have no real interest in "getting high" so to speak and only want drugs you can use for social and generalized anxiety??

Also, your link doesn't seem to lead to an article but rather a place for someone to put in their username on that site and I don't have one.

Any other way I can see it or can you at least sum it up for me??

If I recall correctly nitrous oxide use can lead to certain vitamin deficiency, it escapes me which one at the moment, it's easily found on Wikipedia.

Keep that in mind with frequent and often usage of nitrous oxide. Otherwise, if mixed with ample amounts of actual oxygen (I.e fully exhale and inhale fresh air between inhalations) it's pretty benign.

The way to do it is blow up a balloon with a whipped cream dispenser that takes cartridges. Fill two canisters into the dispenser and blow up the balloon. Exhale and inhale as much as you can of the nitrous oxide. Hold it in for a short time, and exhale it into the balloon. Hold your breath a bit longer. Inhale a nd exhale fresh air. Repeat. I can do two circles of this before my lips can no longer form a seal with the balloon and it just flies off into the room. And I sink into the hole.

I found this to the be best experience from the whipped cream cartridges.

Fucks me sideways every time. Subsequent usage does not lead to the hole, and compulsory reposing always always happens. I can not start a 10 pack without ripping through the entire thing. I never keep more than one on hand.

It's best done on the peak of an intense acid trip or candyflip. Or inhale some with DMT. It won't kill you buy you go over the edge for sure, every time. You almost feel completely sober 5 minutes after. Weird.

I've been seriously addicted to N2O for about 9 months when i was 15. The first time was amazing and gave me a full ego loss. After that i tried to reach this point over and over again untill i developed a high tolerance to it.

It reached a point were i had to use it when i went to sleep, when i woke up and even when i was at school.. Not an antidepressant for me.

I dont like nitrous anymore, it used to be fun when i was a teenager but now i just do it compulsively without ever reaching the kind of peak I used to get and then I feel sick afterward with a massive headache and dizzy feeling.

As for antidepressant effects, i have done ketamine nitrous and dxm and never experienced this supposed antidepressant effect. dissociatives tend to make me feel disconnected from myself, lifeless and inhuman even in low doses. thats not what i want out of an antidepressant.

Well anti depressant doses for ketamine and the like are supposed to be far lower than recreational doses. Same with shrooms as per David Nutt's trials.

I imagine you'd get very negative side effects if you took large doses of 'true' anti depressants as well.

So the idea is supposed to be that even when the high wears off it leaves you less depressed than before??

I'm not sure I buy that after having done nitrous quite a few times.

I love the drug, but sorry deruyityn, I could be wrong and you could get lucky, but I think you are barking up the wrong tree here if you think it will help you with your depression.

It's most likely just going to get you high and maybe help with it for the short period of time that the drug effect lasts.

If I recall correctly nitrous oxide use can lead to certain vitamin deficiency, it escapes me which one at the moment, it's easily found on Wikipedia.

Keep that in mind with frequent and often usage of nitrous oxide. Otherwise, if mixed with ample amounts of actual oxygen (I.e fully exhale and inhale fresh air between inhalations) it's pretty benign.

The way to do it is blow up a balloon with a whipped cream dispenser that takes cartridges. Fill two canisters into the dispenser and blow up the balloon. Exhale and inhale as much as you can of the nitrous oxide. Hold it in for a short time, and exhale it into the balloon. Hold your breath a bit longer. Inhale a nd exhale fresh air. Repeat. I can do two circles of this before my lips can no longer form a seal with the balloon and it just flies off into the room. And I sink into the hole.

I found this to the be best experience from the whipped cream cartridges.

Fucks me sideways every time. Subsequent usage does not lead to the hole, and compulsory reposing always always happens. I can not start a 10 pack without ripping through the entire thing. I never keep more than one on hand.

It's best done on the peak of an intense acid trip or candyflip. Or inhale some with DMT. It won't kill you buy you go over the edge for sure, every time. You almost feel completely sober 5 minutes after. Weird.

I tried to do it this way before but I think I messed up.

I don't understand why this is better than just filling up one balloon after another and inhaling them all??

That's what I always do and I get high as shit.

n2o, or nitrous would not make safe or good anti-depressant.

It's enjoyable and relatively safe in small amounts if you breathe in air/oxygen; but a lot of people binge on it, some become addicted to it, you will probably get a tolerance to it, and frequent use/abuse of it does deplete your B-12 and other B vitamin levels.

Also Deruyityn, I know it sounds harsh but you used the expression "maybe I could use this to make some changes in my life."

Don't you think you should work on making some changes in your life WITHOUT the use of substances??

You seem like you are always looking for the quick fix and that no matter what new drug you discover it never quite pans out as helping you as much as you always think it will.

You what they say about repeating the same mistakes over and over again...

Not trying to preach or anything, but I don't think any substance is going to reveal to you your true potential in life.

Real changes come through hard work only.

would a condom be strong enough to hold the gas?

No a condom will not work (even if it might) that sounds dangerous just get a balloon.

Szuko is there a specific reason you think the condoms sound dangerous? They tend to be quite strong. Personally I have in fact used a condom for whippets in a pinch and don't remember any problems even with multiple cartridges dispensed into one. If you do this, I would recommend washing off the lube first if it is prelubricated. I guess the balloons are more ideal though because they make a better seal on the cracker.

I would highly advise against this. I was addicted to Nitrous for several years. It destroyed my life and nearly killed me. It was a high and beautiful experience in it's own special way. (I started a thread about this in the psychedelics forum http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...hosts-quot-invisible-people-auras-and-spirits ) But using NOS as an anti-depressant? Not a good idea. Spiritual growth and mind expansion? yes. Managing depression? No