• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Nicotine is not addictive

I smoked cigarettes when I was put on probation for a good 6-8 months and was trying to get over not being able to smoke pot. The cigs would get me buzzed and euphoric at first and then it was just automatic. Driving? cig. Gotta go to those drug classes the court ordered you to? Everyones smoking cigs.

It was a craving but I decided one day to just stop, shit was pointless to me. For me, there is no noticeable withdrawal other than the cravings and the "empty" feeling you get when you leave any addiction/habit.To give you a comparison, I was taking kratom daily for 2 years and the depression from that was 100x worse than quitting tobacco. I feel like it might be the same feeling for some smokers who smoke daily for years so I respect that it can be hard for people to quit.

I agree, at least for me, nicotine is one of the least addictive drugs on the planet and I just don't understand how people get hooked on them. I know everyone is different obviously and there are sooooooo many people addicted to cigs it's def in the top 3 most common addictions but I can't relate at all because they do nothing for me. I love the act of smoking and I tried to enjoy them many times in the past because the idea of being able to smoke something that's legal almost anywhere appeals to me but I just dislike everything about them especially the crazy strong ass smell and taste and how they stink up your hair, clothes, and pretty much everything on you and in reach of you. My bf has been addicted to them since he was 16 and I just don't get it at all. I've asked some people including him what they like so much about it and they say it has a mild stimulant effect on them and gives a nice little energy buzz but I never once felt that at all when I smoked. In fact the last few times I smoked a cig it made me feel nauseous, dizzy, and my whole body all of a sudden became hot and sweaty and I felt like I was going to pass out. Thankfully that shitty feeling only lasted about 10 mins but it really sucked. It didn't happen right away while hitting it either, it slowly started about 5 mins after finishing the shit. The first time it happened I just thought it was just because I drank too much that night but that wasn't the case because it happened again when I wasn't drinking at all. Anyways I haven't touched nicotine in years and have no desire to ever again because of how shitty it made me feel the last couple times. If anyone else has had a similar experience from smoking a damn cigarette I would love to hear about it because I don't know anyone else affected by nicotine like that and when I tell people about it they think it's hella weird. I'm confused how nicotine is classified as a stimulant because to me it def feels more like a downer. Vape cigs are a little better because they never made me sick and taste good but still don't give me any buzz or anything so I don't bother. The few times I bought them with my friend from a gas station they didn't last long at all no matter what kind I got and just felt like a waste of money.

Last edited:
^ I too have a similar reaction to cigs. I get a rather horrible nausea in my head, where basically that so-called 'smooth' stimulant effect, causes my mind and guts to feel off.

Someone on the boards was talking about a small % of ppl possessing a gene that prevents them from feeling the addictive properties of nicotine, acetylcholine ect.

For me, it feels as if my body is pissed at me for putting nicotine in my system. I would have to willfully smoke for a long time for my system to adapt and get hooked. Its basically the anti-pot for me.

^I think you have to understand that the effects you are describing are one thing that makes nicotine insideous. It isn't very fun, yet people are willing to destroy their health to continue taking it. Can you imagine how much more addictive it would be if it produced more enjoyable effects, like heroin?

Negative symptoms are pretty common at first, but with continued use most of the side effects go away.

tobacco is a light MAOI , nicotine isn't thats why and opiate addict craves cigarettes just like an alcohloic imo

I believe the fact that tobacco is a mild MAOI, is why I am finding a hard time quitting.

I have decided to stop smoking cigarettes. I say this rather then quit because for the past 12 years i have smoked cigarettes on and off both socially and for recreation. My highest point was probably 10-15 cigarettes a day when i was shooting dope and smoking crack but recently it dropped as low as 0-2 a day so i stopped.

Ever since i was about 16 i smoked on and off but never associated it with driving or eating or anything. When i was in college i stopped for 2 months because no one i knew smoked and i didnt see the reason to i guess. Out of college my g/f would buy a pack and i would have a few and that continued until last week.

I like planning and schedules so i would have times during the day where i would smoke. Systematically those times became fewer and fewer until about last week when i realized it had been 2 days. My "window for a cig" became 8pm-10pm and once it got late i wouldnt want one. I smoke 2 blunts a day, one after work and one before bed, when i started lowing my cigarette dose i would only have one after work and one around 9pm both of which are now blunts and i cant smoke after a blunt.

I know cigarettes are addictive i just never had a problem with them. I always viewed them as drugs and avoided mistakes people make with drugs, over indulgence and association.

I smoke cigarettes (going on 20 years now, blech) and I also vape. I've found I can pretty much vape all the time and not even bother with cigarettes. I still smoke about 2-3 cigarettes per day, but I don't need them, I just like smoking a real cigarette once in a while. But I've pretty much completely switched my nicotine addiction over to vaping (e-cigs) and I find it much nicer than smoking tobacco. But I am very much addicted to vaping. I smoke high nicotine vape juice (12mgs) and I puff on my vape all day. I probably go through about 20 ml of vape juice every day. And if I can't find my vape, or my batteries die, it's exactly like a smoker running out of cigarettes. I get bitchy and have nicotine withdrawals. But overall I much prefer vaping over cigarettes. My goal is to gradually reduce the nicotine content in my vape juice (from 12 to 9, then stay at 9 mg for a while, then 9 to 6, stay at 6mg for a while, then 6-3, then 3-0) until I'm vaping juice with zero nicotine content. Then I'll just quit. I have found this to be the easiest method of quitting cigarettes. It's totally painless and I don't have to deal with the cold turkey withdrawals. But vaping is expensive. Between me and my GF we probably spend about 300-400 dollars a month on vape juice, atomizers, etc.

^ I would be careful because until there are proper regulations and testing done on E-cigs you do not want to be "the worlds biggest e-cig smoker" because there is a strong chance you will be the first test person to report a terrible lung disease due to the difference between food safe and lung safe. There are plenty of ways your body deals with ingested toxins consumed orally and way fewer safety mechanisms for inhaled, IVed drugs. Also i am not saying you are even close to the title of biggest e-cig smoker i am just making a statement for consideration. :)

I would not be surprised if any one of the components or all of them end up with safety issues especially for chronic long term smoking. Whenever a new invention comes along we will not know its societal impact until 30-40 years when people who have been doing it their whole lifes start reporting problems. Its easy to say "i dont care i like it" now because of your spot in life and how you feel about a safety profile it a completely different thing to think about it at a doctors office at 55 with grand children waiting in the car. Either way its up to you but just be aware of the risks and the fact it could be only "marginally better then smoking" once we find out the true nature of them. Cigarettes were not proven to be bad until a long time after they were smoked I know these are different times but the fact still remains you can not know about problems until you find them

^ I would be careful because until there are proper regulations and testing done on E-cigs you do not want to be "the worlds biggest e-cig smoker" because there is a strong chance you will be the first test person to report a terrible lung disease due to the difference between food safe and lung safe. There are plenty of ways your body deals with ingested toxins consumed orally and way fewer safety mechanisms for inhaled, IVed drugs. Also i am not saying you are even close to the title of biggest e-cig smoker i am just making a statement for consideration. :)

I would not be surprised if any one of the components or all of them end up with safety issues especially for chronic long term smoking. Whenever a new invention comes along we will not know its societal impact until 30-40 years when people who have been doing it their whole lifes start reporting problems. Its easy to say "i dont care i like it" now because of your spot in life and how you feel about a safety profile it a completely different thing to think about it at a doctors office at 55 with grand children waiting in the car. Either way its up to you but just be aware of the risks and the fact it could be only "marginally better then smoking" once we find out the true nature of them. Cigarettes were not proven to be bad until a long time after they were smoked I know these are different times but the fact still remains you can not know about problems until you find them

Certainly a good point. But considering how many cigarettes I was smoking it's a preferable alternative. And I can honestly feel the difference. Being a heavy smoker was definitely taking a toll on my health. I actually feel much healthier now that I'm vaping instead of chain smoking. We also buy the expensive high-end vape juices (much nicer to vape than the cheap made-in-china varieties) and they are supposedly much less dangerous for vaping. But i agree about being the guinea pig for a new and untested product. I don't know what the long term effects will be, but I feel much better than I did when I was smoking a pack and a half of American Spirits every day. And I don't plan to vape for my whole life, just another year or two while I taper down my nicotine addiction. I recommend vaping as a way to quit cigarettes, but not as a lifelong habit.

Nicotine is a strange thing. For me it acts rather like a downer and calms me down, yet others report it acts as a stimulant. Maybe you're just a (rare) non-responder? In any case, it's definitely addictive for most people.

Last edited:
Nicotine is not addictive if you replaced somebody's e Juicd with 0mg they wouldn't be able to tell the difference

Nicotine is a strange thing. For me it acts rather like a downer and calms me down, yet others report it acts as a stimulant. Maybe you're just a (rare) non-responder? In any case, it's definitely addictive for most people.

With nicotine it has been studied "sort of like kratom" that dosages and how you administer it can produce different effects, it was noticed that taking longer deeper puffs was associated with sleepiness and wanting it to produce downer effects where as to stimulate it was recognised people without realising took shorter quicker puffs with less time between. And it can produce different effects depending on the method of your inhalation.

http://theunboundedspirit.com/types-of-smokers-addicted-smokers-and-social-smokers/

It's not actually the nicotine that's addictive otherwise the old e cig things that blew no smoke, the patches and gum would work. The reason people find it easy moving to an e cig is that it "feels" like smoking. It's more if a habit than an addiction, the main "addictive" effects being the inhalation of the smoke and the physical actions of inhaling and hand movements. Nicotine is less addictive than caffeine

Last edited:
Nicotine is not addictive if you replaced somebody's e Juicd with 0mg they wouldn't be able to tell the difference
I'd definitely notice. I can feel the nicotine when it hits me quite well, and I'd know if something was different. But if they only vaped for fun and weren't really in for a nicotine buzz, they probably wouldn't notice much.

I'd definitely notice. I can feel the nicotine when it hits me quite well, and I'd know if something was different. But if they only vaped for fun and weren't really in for a nicotine buzz, they probably wouldn't notice much.

You think that mate, you might notice it but it wouldn't be as bad as you would think, nicotine is not the addictive part of smoking it's the habit of inhalation and hand movements to mouth that's why patches and gum don't work

Some people of European descent have a gene (seems to run with the alcoholism gene in my family) where nicotine is metabolized differently. As an former addict/ alcoholic I know addiction and I smoke off and on quitting doesn't seem that hard. But I think this is the exception as nicotine builds its own withdrawal mechanism in the brain and it's possible to get an addiction before a tolerance! no other drug does that!

Why do people say things like this? Misinformation over the internet can be a dangerous thing.Do you work for phillip morris? Nicotine works on acetylcholine receptors unlike other stimulants. Studies with monkeys have shown the monkeys will choose nicotine over food where they don't do this with cocaine or caffeine.

You think that mate, you might notice it but it wouldn't be as bad as you would think, nicotine is not the addictive part of smoking it's the habit of inhalation and hand movements to mouth that's why patches and gum don't work
No, that's not what I'm saying. I was never really addicted to smoking, I just did it occasionally. I only vape for the nicotine, not for getting off cigarettes, and before I vaped I used nicotine gum while still occasionally having a cigarette (again, just for the nicotine, not as a way to get off smoking). So I don't really have a fixation with the movements and all of smoking/vaping, it's just a quick and easy form of nicotine delivery for me.
So yeah, I'd notice if there wasn't nicotine, as that's the only reason I do it.
(And to clarify, I'm not saying I consider nicotine addictive, I'm just saying I can tell when I feel it, and would notice if it wasn't there.)

Why do people say things like this? Misinformation over the internet can be a dangerous thing.Do you work for phillip morris? Nicotine works on acetylcholine receptors unlike other stimulants. Studies with monkeys have shown the monkeys will choose nicotine over food where they don't do this with cocaine or caffeine.

It's been proven it's less addictive than caffeine when taken by itself without the physical aspect of smoking, inhalation, smoke filling lungs ect. Get a non smoker to wear a patch for a month then take it off them and see if they need another patch or some chewing gum...

No, that's not what I'm saying. I was never really addicted to smoking, I just did it occasionally. I only vape for the nicotine, not for getting off cigarettes, and before I vaped I used nicotine gum while still occasionally having a cigarette (again, just for the nicotine, not as a way to get off smoking). So I don't really have a fixation with the movements and all of smoking/vaping, it's just a quick and easy form of nicotine delivery for me.
So yeah, I'd notice if there wasn't nicotine, as that's the only reason I do it.
(And to clarify, I'm not saying I consider nicotine addictive, I'm just saying I can tell when I feel it, and would notice if it wasn't there.)

That's a fair enough comment would you agree nicotine alone without the physical Habbit ritual is addictive? Compared to the actual physical Habbit anyway. If you ever smoked and we're addicted, did the patch or the gum cure the addition? I know this personally as I've been arrested multiple times and you spend 8 hours in a cell before your interview and bail, and all they give you is max strength nicotine gum and it doesn't do shit. I've also tried to quit using patched and they did shit all. Only thing that works is an e cig which replicates the physical Habbit