• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Nicotine is not addictive

What a ridiculous statement, right? Millions of people around the world are hooked on tobacco and we all know the chemical responsible is nicotine. This is the accepted idea.

But is nicotine, in its pure form actually physically addictive? With the advent of electronic cigarettes, a growing number of people are consuming synthetic nicotine alone without the other chemicals found in tobacco smoke.

So what do you think? My personal experience is heavy use of an electronic cigarette for the past year. I sit in my room, surfing bluelight, puffing on and on. But then, when I leave home for the day I leave my e-cig. And I go the whole day without a single craving. I definitely have a mental habituation, when I'm out without my e-cig I do think, "Wouldn't it be nice if I had some nicotine now".

But those thoughts are nothing like real cravings that a cigarette smoker would get. I have taken trips where for multiple days I go without any nicotine and I do just fine. So is nicotine in its pure form really addictive? I think its time we consider the greater complexity of tobacco and nicotine addiction.

Maybe I'm just a rare example but I think other people have noticed the difference between tobacco and nicotine. Of course e-cigs are not as satisfying as a real cigarette so it stands to reason that there is a significant difference chemically between the plant and the drug itself.

I'm just looking for your thoughts and opinions.

nicotine is addictive because of the naturally occuring MAOI's in tobacco, coupled with nicotine.

I smoke cigarettes (going on 20 years now, blech) and I also vape. I've found I can pretty much vape all the time and not even bother with cigarettes. I still smoke about 2-3 cigarettes per day, but I don't need them, I just like smoking a real cigarette once in a while. But I've pretty much completely switched my nicotine addiction over to vaping (e-cigs) and I find it much nicer than smoking tobacco. But I am very much addicted to vaping. I smoke high nicotine vape juice (12mgs) and I puff on my vape all day. I probably go through about 20 ml of vape juice every day. And if I can't find my vape, or my batteries die, it's exactly like a smoker running out of cigarettes. I get bitchy and have nicotine withdrawals. But overall I much prefer vaping over cigarettes. My goal is to gradually reduce the nicotine content in my vape juice (from 12 to 9, then stay at 9 mg for a while, then 9 to 6, stay at 6mg for a while, then 6-3, then 3-0) until I'm vaping juice with zero nicotine content. Then I'll just quit. I have found this to be the easiest method of quitting cigarettes. It's totally painless and I don't have to deal with the cold turkey withdrawals. But vaping is expensive. Between me and my GF we probably spend about 300-400 dollars a month on vape juice, atomizers, etc.

$300+ a month damn that's crazy, what device do you use? I doubt I spend even $5 a month. I only go through at most 2ml a day. I vape 3mg using a iStick 50w/subtank mini

I used to do that with the 24mg patch because I liked the crazy dreams I had on it. I ran out one day (30 patches later) thought nothing of it until the next night when I got chills and started puking. Caffeine doesn't do that, just a headache. Also do you think that if coffee was as addictive as cigs that after having a hole put in your throat people would pour coffee down it like they smoke through it? To say that coffee is more addictive is absurd. People will knowingly risk cancer for that drug. A cigarette in prison is worth alot of money because its so addictive, don't think they would do that for coffee.

People here need to read the PDR before posting :) . Nicotine doesn't need an MAOI. An MAOI is needed when the MAO breaks down a drug before it can cross the blood brain barrier and react on receptors to produce an effect. Usually these drugs are taken orally and have to pass through multiple metabolic pathways before entering the brain. Your body tries to turn everything in it into CO2 and H2O or as simple a molecule as it can. If nicotine needed an MAOI then it would be necessary in patches and gum, etc which would make for a dangerous product to some people. The lungs are the perfect delivery method for this drug.

^ I too have a similar reaction to cigs. I get a rather horrible nausea in my head, where basically that so-called 'smooth' stimulant effect, causes my mind and guts to feel off.

Someone on the boards was talking about a small % of ppl possessing a gene that prevents them from feeling the addictive properties of nicotine, acetylcholine ect.

For me, it feels as if my body is pissed at me for putting nicotine in my system. I would have to willfully smoke for a long time for my system to adapt and get hooked. Its basically the anti-pot for me.

you're overdosing. in low doses it's a pleasant stimulant, but the receptors can easily get desensitised, leading to them not activating anymore (not even to physiological stimuli). so you'll get the opposite effects you'd expect, with all the things you describe and lowered blood pressure (instead of raised), and so on.
when you're not used to smoking, nearly any dose causes that response. even when you smoke the first cigarette of the day might be the same (i always rolled especially thing cigs in the morning), but you quickly get the necessary tolerance over the first half hour or so. you don't have to have a special mutation or anything...
it's actually a very good deterrant from starting to smoke again. i know i wouldn't get the good effects if i tried a cigarette now.

ninePM said:
Nicotine doesn't need an MAOI. An MAOI is needed when the MAO breaks down a drug before it can cross the blood brain barrier and react on receptors to produce an effect. Usually these drugs are taken orally and have to pass through multiple metabolic pathways before entering the brain. Your body tries to turn everything in it into CO2 and H2O or as simple a molecule as it can
of course nicotine doesn't need an maoi, but there have been numerous studies demonstrating that there are maois present in tobacco smoke and that nicotine it's much more pleasant and/or addictive when combined with an maoi. and that's also my personal experience. neither nicotine gum nor vaping nor shisha felt nearly as satisfying as smoking to me. i'd smoke a shisha (with tobacco that should in theory deliver more nicotine than my cigs) but light up a cigarette at the same time because it's just not the same...

btw, most of the time the body just tries to oxidise compounds and tuck a sugar on them if necessary to eliminate them from the body. most xenobiotics don't fit into the biochemical pathways (we humans can use) that lead to co2 and h2o at the end.

That's a fair enough comment would you agree nicotine alone without the physical Habbit ritual is addictive? Compared to the actual physical Habbit anyway. If you ever smoked and we're addicted, did the patch or the gum cure the addition? I know this personally as I've been arrested multiple times and you spend 8 hours in a cell before your interview and bail, and all they give you is max strength nicotine gum and it doesn't do shit. I've also tried to quit using patched and they did shit all. Only thing that works is an e cig which replicates the physical Habbit
No, I don't think nicotine on its own, without the physical habit, is particularly addictive. Perhaps habit-forming, but not addictive. I think the physical motions make the addiction - or habit - a good deal harder to break. Without delving into psychology too much, oral fixation is a pretty common and powerful thing, and having it linked with a drug could easily make it worse. That's why vaping works so well, since it provides the drug (though deprived of the things which make it far more addictive) as well as the physical motions that people, consciously or not, link with it.

Nicotine is not addictive if you replaced somebody's e Juicd with 0mg they wouldn't be able to tell the difference

No way. Maybe if someone didn't vape and took the blind test they maybe, MAYBE couldn't tell. But as someone who vapes regularly with loads of extra bottles of juice laying around I can easily, and without a doubt tell the difference between zero nicotine, 3mg, and 6mg juice.

It's been proven it's less addictive than caffeine when taken by itself without the physical aspect of smoking, inhalation, smoke filling lungs ect. Get a non smoker to wear a patch for a month then take it off them and see if they need another patch or some chewing gum...

Funny you say that:

ninePM said:
I used to do that with the 24mg patch because I liked the crazy dreams I had on it. I ran out one day (30 patches later) thought nothing of it until the next night when I got chills and started puking. Caffeine doesn't do that, just a headache. Also do you think that if coffee was as addictive as cigs that after having a hole put in your throat people would pour coffee down it like they smoke through it? To say that coffee is more addictive is absurd. People will knowingly risk cancer for that drug. A cigarette in prison is worth alot of money because its so addictive, don't think they would do that for coffee.

This forum set up is strange how the reply is in the middle of the thread...

^ That's normally only if you click "reply" or "quote" and the text box then appears under the post you are trying to reply to.
Alternatively you could scroll down and do a regular style reply.

Nicotine is not addictive should be on the list with other's like:
The earth is flat
Global warming is a myth
The sun goes around the earth
seat belts are dangerous
The war on drugs works.

When I was younger and lived with my dad before I told him I smoked (he always knew, parents always do) I would go away with him for long weekends etc. and not smoke the whole time, sure I was agitated as fuck and craving, but I used to have those periods every other month or so and I survived every time.

I think its a thing of association as much as anything else, back then that was just how it was, I just had to wait 3-4 days to smoke. But once I'd announced I was a smoker the thought was incomprehensible.

Bought an aspire triton and the new aspire 70w Pegasus mod last Thursday.. I've smoked 2 cigs since (before last Thursday I was at almost 2packs a day of Newports) I'm vaping 18mg juice. I get more BUZZED off the vape. There's no way I could have possibly been at this level of nicotine intake with just Newports.

So yeah sounds horrible but I feel way more addicted to my vape. I also already feel WAY healthier (no more shortness of breath, hacking up pieces of blackened lung in the AM, etc) so I'm looking at it as a win-win situation.

Boy, isn't that the truth. I smoked for about 2 years, quit with no problem but I was so used to the cig and coffee ritual that I actually quit coffee at the same time for almost a year,
It's been TWENTY years since I smoked and although I quit easily, I still think about that first inhilation, first puff, the sigh of relief almost, and the hand to mouth. I still think about it daily, 20 years later. It's worse when I see people smoking.
So while I don't find cigs in and of themselves addictive, the oral fixation and first puff/head rush was the hardest part to combat and I still remember it fondly/ romanticize it.
But IDk, I think that some people have addictive personalities, and some are drawn to certain substances. I will never understand the allure of drinking. Day after day, drinking. Ugh. It's not for me but some people have a really hard time. Same w caffeine, stimulants, opiates. We're all different. My BIL had half a Percocet (he's about 350lb) and was dizzy and vomiting and out of it and I was like wtf...

I believe there was a recent rat study showing that the rats would never self administer nicotine like other addictive substances. The MAOI alkaloids present in the tobacco plant make addiction make more sense. Most people aren't hooked after smoking for a while but continued to do so for social reasons etc. But after a build of of the antidepressant MAOI effects, quitting cold turkey may likely seem like going through antidepressant withdrawal. It makes sense in a way, as your rarely see non-smokers going out of their way to pick up some nicotine gum or patches. Many smokers I know also say that e-cigarettes containing only nicotine make them feel sick like they had smoked too many at once.

My opinion of nicotine is that it's an auxiliary supplement to the nervous system in people who are lacking the natural nutritional factors for those very nervous system processes. When the nicotine gets removed they go into withdrawal. A lot of nicotine dependence can be cured by re-evaluating nutrition. The nervous system wouldn't crave it if it weren't filling some kind of gap.

So are you saying people should eat more tomatoes or other veggies from the nightshade family?