• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Herald Sun, May 10 2004 - Drink spike claims in doubt

Flexistentialist

Bluelight Crew
Drink spike claims in doubt
Keith Moor
The Herald Sun
11may04

SEX attacks after drink-spiking are nowhere near as common as the community is led to believe, according to research.

The Australian study says there is an element of urban myth surrounding the current hysteria over drink-spiking.

It suggests drink-spiking claims might be a convenient excuse for doing something the supposed victims later regret -- such as having sex with somebody they just met.

The researchers say in many cases young females are simply under-estimating the effect of their alcohol intake.

Almost 80 per cent of supposed drink-spiking victims tested were drunk, not drugged. But researchers say they are not rejecting all drink-spiking reports as fabrication.

But they say hard evidence shows the hysteria surrounding drink-spiking is not warranted.

Their findings were revealed during this week's international drug conference in Alice Springs.

The Australasian Drug Strategy conference heard the study, by the West Australian police's alcohol and drug unit, blamed alcohol for the condition of 78 per cent of the suspected drink-spiking victims tested.

Blood and urine samples taken from supposed drink-spiking victims within 12 hours also revealed the expected date-rape drugs (benzodiazepines such as Rohypnol and GHB,) were only found in four out of 83 cases.

Forty-three per cent of them had blood-alcohol readings of between .08 and .15, and 23 per cent were over .15.

The conference was told a similar US study involving 3303 supposed drink-spiking victims also found a high (41 per cent) presence of alcohol; only 0.33 per cent were found to have actually taken date-rape drugs.

"The results do not support the concept of a commonly occurring date rape scenario in which the victim's drink is covertly spiked," the US study concluded.

Beat me to it, but I'll post my comments again in this thread.

In light of the recent legislation in Victoria to make drink spiking illegal, it's interesting to see that the danger is more hype, hysteria and paranoia than real threat.

Not that drink spiking doesn't happen, and not that it shouldn't be illegal, but...

It suggests drink-spiking claims might be a convenient excuse for doing something the supposed victims later regret -- such as having sex with somebody they just met.

:\

To be honest I've always thought as much. Hell I've spent a great deal of my working life in clubs, I've spend a hell of a lot of time in the club/bar environment, and there really isn't that great a deal of opportunity to spike a drink.

Seriously, consider your average, busy club. You buy a drink at the bar...and wander around with it till you finish it, cause there's no where to leave it in a lot of cases...the exception being maybe you're sitting in a booth with friends...so odds are your drink on the table is safe.

No I'm certainly not saying it doesn't happen, but I've definitely seen the affects of too much alcohol on people, and it wouldn't take a hit of Rohypnol to get someone to do something they wouldn't normally do - a few tequila shots normally does the trick...

Bent said:
To be honest I've always thought as much. Hell I've spent a great deal of my working life in clubs, I've spend a hell of a lot of time in the club/bar environment, and there really isn't that great a deal of opportunity to spike a drink.

Seriously, consider your average, busy club. You buy a drink at the bar...and wander around with it till you finish it, cause there's no where to leave it in a lot of cases...the exception being maybe you're sitting in a booth with friends...so odds are your drink on the table is safe.

No I'm certainly not saying it doesn't happen, but I've definitely seen the affects of too much alcohol on people, and it wouldn't take a hit of Rohypnol to get someone to do something they wouldn't normally do - a few tequila shots normally does the trick...

Agreed, I was in the Hospitality Industry for 12 years and I have seen a lot of foolish people passed out in the toilets from too much alcohol.

Buying someone a mixed drink with a double or triple shot of alcohol could also count as drink spiking, if you don't tell the person there's more alcohol in the drink than a 'standard' version of the same drink... ie., if you bought someone a double tequila margarita, and gave it to them without mentioning that it's stronger than a normal margarita, then that's drink spiking whether you have an ulterior motive for getting them drunk or not.

Drink spiking doesn't have to involve pharmaceuticals or illicit drugs.

BigTrancer :)

Indeed, BT. I believe that in some states it is illegal to do anything with the intent of stupefying another person without their consent. Be it surreptitious double-shots of gin or some other drug. Also why some bars won't pour doubles.

Didn't those guys who gave the Mormons hash cookies get into trouble for that reason?

Short read on the history of the Mickey Fin
;)

I remember a similar article in our local paper a while back. Many females claiming there drinks had been spiked when in fact tests showed many had nothing other than alcohol in there blood.

I would never do anything like that, I must have been drugged. Only illegal drugs could make me do something I don't want to. I'm always in control with alcohol :\

Ooops on rereading the article I think they are talking about the same study.

aesops said:
Indeed, BT. I believe that in some states it is illegal to do anything with the intent of stupefying another person without their consent. Be it surreptitious double-shots of gin or some other drug. Also why some bars won't pour doubles.

yep, this is part of the RSA.. if you're a barman (or woman) and someone asks for a beer with a shot of vodka in it, you can't add the two together. You can give them a shot glass and a glass of beer however. It comes down to semantics again, but that's the way the bar avoids any liability..

This doesn't suprise me in the slightest; people are always looking for an excuse for their behaviour, and drink spiking is all too easy.

Regardless, I think any suspected case of drink spiking should be treated with full seriousness.

:)

I also worked in the hospitality industry for a long time, if somebody came to the bar and ordered a couple of drinks and ordered them as doubles, and if the bar wasn't to busy, i would make a point of informing the people that the person at the bar is very generous and that they are buying doubles for them, 9 out of 10 times the recipients of the drinks will ashore me that they don't want a double and the person standing at the bar is shamefully put in the wanker catergory and misses out on any chance of getting a invite back to that persons house for a night cap, and still has to pay for the over priced drinks, needless to say the customer isn't to happy with the service from the bar, but they know that they have been caught out big time and leave the bar without saying one word, hopefully the embarassment they experience is enough to stop them from doing it again (usually it's guys that are buying drinks for girls) I totally agree that this is drink spiking and more bar staff should shame these people

What do you mean my pupils are huge? Someone must've spiked my drink, I wouldn't take ecstasy! 8)