Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Australian - 7/06/07 'Drug injecting room to stay open'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
Drug injecting room to stay open
June 07, 2007

SYDNEY'S controversial drug injecting room will stay open on a trial basis for another four years.

Legislation is to be introduced into the NSW parliament today but Health Minister Reba Meagher said the Kings Cross centre would close if demand for its services dropped.

"The Bill to be introduced into the NSW parliament later today will for the first time establish a threshold for client attendance levels," Ms Meagher said.

"If the centre's utilisation falls below 75 per cent of the current daily levels, a formal review will be triggered into the economic viability and need for the centre."

She said the decision to continue the trial came after a report on the centre by the National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research at the University of NSW.

The report found the centre reduced overdose-related events, public injecting and community visibility of injecting drug use.

The Medically Supervised Injecting Centre (MSIC) opened amid much controversy in May 2001 and has continued to be at the centre of drug debate in Sydney.

The Australian

It's good to see Christopher Pyne hasn't got his way and closed the centre down. I must say though, it's a little concerning that these high levels of use are being placed on the centre to prove its economic viability.

lil angel15 said:
[It's good to see Christopher Pyne hasn't got his way and closed the centre down. I must say though, it's a little concerning that these high levels of use are being placed on the centre to prove its economic viability.

Yes, I completely agree regarding Pyne and the sad state of affairs regarding economic rationalism.

Although, the economic viability argument may, in a bizarre way bring some common sense to the drug debate. I believe the financial benefits of the injecting room when you consider the cost/benefit argument will always see the place kept open. The economic burden of Hep c and HIV related illnesses on the health system that the injecting room reduces or minimises is a financial coup in itself.

Potentially in the future the economic rationalists will be considered in the war on drugs instead of the hysterics and zero tolerence goons? Harm reduction will be considered then for what it is and common sense may prevail.

Maybe I'm just being a bit too optimistic but harm reduction strategies are far more economically viable to sustain on shrinking health and law and order budgets, and in the long run may force the inevitable acceptance that the war on drugs has been lost.

Four more years for heroin centre trial
Andrew Clennell State Political Editor
June 8, 2007

THE heroin-injecting centre in Kings Cross will be allowed to remain open for four more years - but may be shut down if client visits decline by more than a quarter.

The Health Minister, Reba Meagher, told Parliament yesterday she would introduce legislation to extend the trial of the centre until October 2011.

It is the third extension for the trial - two of those extensions have come shortly after an election win. The injecting centre was set up by the former premier, Bob Carr, in 2001 in an attempt to halt drug use in public places and stop deaths by overdose.

Ms Meagher later said the centre could not be made permanent because she received legal advice that if it was not regarded as a part-time medical trial, it could be challenged in the High Court using two United Nations anti-drug conventions that Australia had signed.

"We have sought legal advice from numerous sources, mostly from the Crown Solicitor's [office]," Ms Meagher said. "It [extending the trial] is the safest way to continue the operation of the centre without exposing ourselves to perhaps quite costly and lengthy litigation."

Ms Meagher's proposal passed through cabinet without opposition yesterday but three MPs - the member for Blacktown, Paul Gibson, the member for Mount Druitt, Richard Amery, and Greg Donnelly in the upper house - expressed reservations in caucus.

In particular, the MPs questioned if the centre was working when only 11 per cent of people attending were being referred for drug treatment.

However, caucus passed the proposal, meaning Labor MPs will not have a conscience vote on the legislation, virtually assuring its passage through both houses of parliament.

The Opposition Leader, Barry O'Farrell, later said Liberal and National MPs would be allowed a conscience vote. He would not declare how he would vote.

Unexpected in Ms Meagher's announcement was the provision that if the number of people attending the centre fell "below 75 per cent of current daily levels (208 clients a day), a formal review will be triggered into the economic viability and need for the centre".

The idea came from the minister's office and is understood to be intended as a sign from the Government that it is serious about reducing drug use and wants to eventually shut the centre, once heroin use declines.

The medical director of the centre, Ingrid Van Beek, and the licensing operator, the executive director of Uniting Care, Harry Herbert, welcomed the Government's decision to extend the centre yesterday.

Dr Van Beek said lives had been saved by the centre, with more than 2100 drug overdoses occurring there without death or serious brain injury since its inception.

"There's no doubt that if some of those cases had occurred in less safe [situations] that some of those cases would have resulted in death," Dr Van Beek said.

Over six years, 10,000 addicts have used the centre - mostly for heroin - with about 6 per cent now using it for methamphetamine injection including ice. Ms Meagher said there was no consideration of establishing an injecting centre in any other part of Sydney, since Kings Cross, with its sex workers, had its own peculiar drug problems.

One of the MPs who will vote against the bill is the former opposition leader Peter Debnam, who had said before the March 24 election that he would oppose it if he won office.

Mr Debnam said yesterday: "I won't be supporting it. It's a bad idea, it's bad for the community and it should be closed."

SMH

Prince Planet said:
Yes, I completely agree regarding Pyne and the sad state of affairs regarding economic rationalism.

Although, the economic viability argument may, in a bizarre way bring some common sense to the drug debate. I believe the financial benefits of the injecting room when you consider the cost/benefit argument will always see the place kept open. The economic burden of Hep c and HIV related illnesses on the health system that the injecting room reduces or minimises is a financial coup in itself.

Potentially in the future the economic rationalists will be considered in the war on drugs instead of the hysterics and zero tolerence goons? Harm reduction will be considered then for what it is and common sense may prevail.

Maybe I'm just being a bit too optimistic but harm reduction strategies are far more economically viable to sustain on shrinking health and law and order budgets, and in the long run may force the inevitable acceptance that the war on drugs has been lost.

Great post Prince Planet and I totally aggree.

My concern, however, is that restrictions are being placed on the centre as a possible out for the government, with relative ease and little fuss, at a later date. I will quote the good Dr David Caldicott to show how important the centre and needle axchange programs are to harm reduction and also how much money is being saved by the Australian taxpayer.

Although thie information detailed below relates to needle and syringe programs prior to the opening of the centre, it still gives you a good idea of the savings that are being achieved.

Dr David Caldicott said:
Between 1988 and 2000, as a result of the introduction of needle and syringe programs, 25 000 HIV infections and 21 000 hepatitis C infections were prevented among people who injected drugs. As a consequence, 90 hepatitis-C-related deaths and 4500 HIV-related deaths would have been prevented by 2010.

This translates for the taxpayer- and this year, the voter- into cost savings of up to $783 million for hepatitis C treatment and up to $7025 million for HIV treatment. All this, for an estimated cost of $150 million- peanuts in public health terms.

Put simply for the reader, for every one of your tax dollars put into the program, nearly fifty are saved. Now that was 5 years ago, and perhaps Mr, Pyne hasn't quite had a chance to catch up with his reading.

Adelaide Now

lil angel15 said:
It's good to see Christopher Pyne hasn't got his way and closed the centre down. I must say though, it's a little concerning that these high levels of use are being placed on the centre to prove its economic viability.

That it is.

I wonder what those who oppose the centre will have to say if it shuts down and the OD/street crime/infection rates start going up...

Claims injecting rooms used to test drug cocktails
By Stephanie Wilson
June 28, 2007 01:00am

DRUG addicts using Sydney's controversial Kings Cross injecting room are taking advantage of the safe environment to test their tolerance to higher doses of heroin and other cocktails of dangerous illicit drugs.

The claims were made during interviews with the peak body Drug Free Australia and were repeated in Parliament by Christian Democratic Party MLC Reverend Gordon Moyes late on Tuesday night during debate over a possible four-year extension of the injecting room.

Mr Moyes told the Upper House the injecting room "has encouraged (users) ... to try wilder mixes of drugs" after he read aloud a transcript of a recorded conversation between Drug Free Australia secretary Gary Christian and a former injecting room client.

During the interview, the man claimed there was widespread dangerous mixing of heroin and pills including Benzodiazepene, Normasin, Oxycodone and Xanax.

"I have seen that they are going in for one thing but really they are going in for two (or three), with the heroin on top of the pills, but they won't (tell anybody that)," he said.

"They feel a lot more safer, definitely because they know they can be brought back to life straight away.

"They know ... they can, like some people go to the extent of even using more.

"So in a way they feel it is a comfort zone, and no matter how much they use if they drop (die) they (might) be brought back."

Drug Free Australia had sought answers as to why the injecting room had "massive" numbers of heroin overdoses, measured between 36 and 42 times higher than normal rates of overdose in the community.

"In 2003 our expert committee analysing injecting room data found that clients of the injecting room were recording a prior history of one overdose for every 4380 injections on average in their intake questionnaire," Mr Christian said.

"But inside the injecting room, there was an extraordinary one overdose for every 106 injections, 42 times higher than the client's previous history."

The former injecting room client said the rife experimentation was done behind workers' backs.

"You can hide anything from everybody," he said.

"It is not the workers' (fault) ... they try their best, it is just (that we) are (all) sneaky people."

Mr Moyes told Parliament a second former client revealed users were using the safety of the room "to get the biggest rush they can, even if there is the risk of overdose".

"Consequently, far from combating the problem and helping these people to stop harming themselves, the injecting facility has actually encouraged them to try harder, to try wilder mixes of drugs, and to push themselves right to the point of death," Mr Moyes said.

"For six years the NSW Government has funded a drug experimentation laboratory where users can push their boundaries and where they have medical help immediately on hand from a nursing sister if they go too far."

News.com.au

Okay but were they life threatning over doses or people nodding and not waking up for a while? Because that may happen much more at home than in a safe injecting centre.

Injecting some reality
Anita Quigley
July 04, 2007 12:00am

ON a tour last week of the controversial Kings Cross injecting room, I discovered three interesting pieces of information - aside from the surprise that such a centre runs excursions for the general public.

While users are allowed to stick a heroin-filled syringe into any part of their body except their neck, smoking is banned (on health grounds), as is being intoxicated. Suspected drunks are breathalysed.

And users are permitted to maintain anonymity.

The Sydney Medically Supervised Injecting Centre (MSIC) prides itself as a vital provider of public health.

Yet if intravenous drug users are not required to give their real name, how effective can it honestly be in assessing, verifying and monitoring a person's health? Particularly someone as unhealthy (and unreliable) as an addict.

Meanwhile, fewer chemists in Sydney these days sell Sudafed, a cold medicine containing pseudoephedrine. Those that do require photo ID and your signature on a registry. All this for a legal off-the-shelf drug. In this sense, it's more strictly policed than is the injecting room.

Last Wednesday, as I was touring the MSIC, the Upper House of the NSW parliament was passing legislation authorising the centre's operation for another four years. It now sits on Governor Marie Bashir's desk awaiting her signature to make it law.

I am not sure how many MPs who voted in support of the MSIC have toured the injecting room, but I would hope all of them. Especially before voting on such an important issue.

Tours are held on the third Wednesday of the month and take about an hour, during which time the centre is closed to users.

It is fair to say the MSIC was reluctant to allow a Daily Telegraph journalist to join the public tour. I was told they considered this newspaper's view on the injecting room as negative.

I was also told that anything said by our guide, clinical services manager Colette McGrath, or any members of the public be off the record, so everyone could speak freely and the usefulness of the tour not be compromised. Most of my group were health students from Wisconsin in the US.

It is also fair to say the tour is favourable to the MSIC, which is not unexpected given it is run by its own staff.

Behind the frosted glass entrance is a waiting room. Users - who only have to give a first name and the first three letters of a surname - move from there to one of eight injecting booths, each able to seat two people.

On average the MSIC sees 230 people a day.

It's a fairly soulless place, despite users being required to share each booth with someone else (a friend or a fellow injector). That aspect makes it seem like a social exercise, as does the "after care" area of lounge chairs where addicts can "relax, have a coffee and a chat, whatever," according to a centre leaflet.

When addicts enter the injecting room they receive a syringe, spoon, tube of saline water and tourniquet if required. While staff cannot administer the drug, they can help look for a vein if the user is having difficulty.

It is interesting that users only attend the injecting room for about nine per cent of all their injecting episodes – so for more than 90 per cent of their injections they are doing so elsewhere.

The "after care" area is where staff can help with referrals to rehabilitation – but the MSIC has a low rate of referrals. Since 2001, the centre has had well over 300,000 injection episodes yet it records only a few thousand referrals to drug treatment and rehabilitation services; less than one per cent of injections.

Medical director Dr Ingrid van Beek is quick to point out the MSIC's primary role is to reduce fatal drug overdoses. "Drug users attend the MSIC to inject drugs in relative safety and are not necessarily at the stage of being able or willing to cease their use," she says.

Is there ever a good time?

Injecting rooms (of which there are now 70-odd around the world) need to be far more proactive in lowering drug use and fighting addiction. Otherwise the addict will continue with his/her habit, secure in the knowledge that he will not die, even if the system has failed to cure him.

It is also important to remember there is a causative connection between addiction and criminality - and the fact users have an injecting room does not lessen that. They still need the money to buy the drugs to inject there.

In 2003 the Drug Free Australia committee analysing injecting room data found that clients of the MSIC were recording a prior history of one overdose for every 4380 injections on average in their intake questionnaire.

But inside the injecting room, there was an extraordinary one overdose for every 106 injections, 42 times higher than than those clients' previous history.

In a transcript read last week to parliament, a former injecting room client told how addicts are taking higher-than-usual doses of heroin and mix dangerous drug cocktails at the MSIC.

The man claims that many users are mixing heroin and pills including Benzodiazepines, Normison, Oxycodone and Xanax.

"I have seen that they are going in for one thing but really they are going in for two (or three), with the heroin on top of the pills, but they won't (tell anybody that)," he said.

"They feel a lot more safer, definitely because they know they can be brought back to life straight away.

"So in a way they feel it is a comfort zone, and no matter how much they use if they drop (die) they (might) be brought back."

He said the dangerous experimentation was done behind workers' backs.

By its own admission the MSIC, which boasts of no fatal overdoses thus far, says only 62 per cent of all injections over the past six years have been heroin.

If such risk-taking behaviour as mixing cocktails of drugs is prevalent, then for how much longer will the injecting room be able to boast of its "clean record"?

And what can it do to prevent such behaviour from addicts who by their very nature are "sneaky people" as the ex-addict so readily admitted.

The MSIC has been running as a pilot since May 2001 and the program was recently extended again on a temporary basis.

It is imperative the MSIC continue to defend its legitimacy with more independent research needed and strict analysis of the way data is collated.

The Daily Telegraph

I think its a really good thing to have for injecting users, but every time i go down there its not even open. They need more workers so they can be open more often.

the_ketaman said:
I think its a really good thing to have for injecting users, but every time i go down there its not even open. They need more workers so they can be open more often.
nah it is open man

it was K2 that was closed in the morning.