Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Australian - 21/03/2006 'Booze epidemic adds to rape crisis'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Booze epidemic adds to rape crisis
Alana Buckley-Carr
March 20, 2006

ALCOHOL abuse among young people has become the nation's "forgotten epidemic" and is responsible for complete memory loss of horrific rapes, according to the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre.

The Weekend Australian revealed on Saturday that police across the nation were powerless to prosecute many of the 10 reported rapes during annual schoolies celebrations last year because victims were so intoxicated they could not give reliable evidence.

NDARC information officer Paul Dillon said alcohol-fuelled sexual assaults occurred year-round. In one case, a 16-year-old girl drank to intoxication and woke in a stranger's home, with no memory of the previous night.

"When she was tested by the hospital, she was told she had been sexually assaulted by at least four men," Mr Dillon said.

"I know of at least eight other girls who have similar stories."

He said many teenage boys were unaware that if a girl was not in a state to consent to sex, they could be charged with rape.

"Young men are flabbergasted when they hear this," he said.

Sexual Health and Family Planning Australia spokeswoman Rebecca Smith said the organisation noticed an increase in young women being tested for sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy after schoolies week.

"There needs to be education throughout school on these issues," Ms Smith said.

From The Australian

I'm so fucking sick of the binge drinking culture, there are certain females friends (including my gf) who I only go out with them to make sure shit like this doesn't happen to them :p and these aren't even fucking teenagers - I don't want to be sexist, but at least in my circle of friends by this stage the guys know how to handle their alcohol...

Not that it in way possible justifies the actions of the fuckheads who take advantage of girls in these situations, at the minimum they should have their balls cut off.

IMO if you really want to get intoxicated, out of the fucking planet there are much better drugs than alcohol.

rogan said:
I'm so fucking sick of the binge drinking culture, there are certain females friends (including my gf) who I only go out with them to make sure shit like this doesn't happen to them :p

Maybe this is just me.. but do you really want to be friends with somebody who would put themselves in that position in the first place?

Maybe this forum is the wrong place to ask that question though... *ducks bottles*

Maybe this is just me.. but do you really want to be friends with somebody who would put themselves in that position in the first place?

Fair comment, but I think it's a trifle more complex than that. Some of us even take it a step further, and go as far as to go out just to look after complete strangers. Harm Reduction can and should be practiced among friends. Friends are more likely to be trusted if someone gets in trouble, and it can be very relieving to have a buddy around when you need help. There seems to be so many vultures just looking for someone to take advantage of. Whether they are innocent or ignorant, or a mixture of both, some friends are definitely worth caring enough about to see them through a night of fun.

I agree that alcohol should be highlighted as the "date rape" drug it has the potential to be. It's been mentioned here before and in the media, but accounts seem to pale into insignificance when GHB or Benzos make "date rape" headlines.

How often are single nip drinks offered, only to later discover in a wobbly haze that what you've been fed were in fact triple shots or greater? Mind you, with a sufficiently high alcohol tolerance, some of us wouldn't mind at all ;)

phase_dancer said:
Fair comment, but I think it's a trifle more complex than that. Some of us even take it a step further, and go as far as to go out just to look after complete strangers. Harm Reduction can and should be practiced among friends. Friends are more likely to be trusted if someone gets in trouble, and it can be very relieving to have a buddy around when you need help. There seems to be so many vultures just looking for someone to take advantage of. Whether they are innocent or ignorant, or a mixture of both, some friends are definitely worth caring enough about to see them through a night of fun.

I understand what you mean completley.. but is somebody really a friend if they are putting you in a dangerous position in the name of them having some fun? I mean, don't get me wrong.. I think it is horrible that people would choose to take advantage of somebody.. but when there is so many people out their with serious unavoidable problems that would really appreciate any help they can get, I have a difficult time feeling bad for somebody who goes and downs ten shots of vodka in a place they have never been before and expects other people to come to the rescue when something goes wrong for them. When does personal responsiblity become a factor, you know? I just don't think it is fair.. and I'm not talking about getting a little more intoxicated then you planned, I'm talking about people that go out and act completley irresponsibly and selfishly.. the line has to be drawn somewhere.

I know.. I sound like a mother :| but as time goes on I feel less and less sorry for people who consistantly act like idiots and then wonder why they are in such n such a predicament.. stealing isn't right.. but you don't leave your car unlocked in the middle of thief street and get mad when it goes missing.

As you may have guessed I don't really like the situations they put themselves in, but its not half as bad as my er rather angry previous post makes it seem. They can and do look after themselves and generally have a lot of funny stories to tell, but as I a guy I know the type of wankers that lurk around places that sell alcohol and as a guy you have to admit the vast majority of predators are male, as such we should take responsibility and look after our female friends.

I guess it's more the fact that alcohol lowers inhibitions and often results in a playful flirt being taken as something else. Hopefully in most cases, age and experience will eventually result in more awareness and less dangerous play. It's all about prevention really, and in that sense I guess repeated reminders by friends can have some impact - but not always, I agree.