Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age - 30/10/08 'Jail for drug affected driver who killed friends'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Jail for drug affected driver who killed friends
October 30, 2008 - 6:15PM

A drug affected Melbourne driver who killed two friends when he slammed his car into a truck, has been jailed for up to seven-and-a-half years.

Trent Nathan King, 23, was found guilty by a jury on two counts of culpable driving on the basis of gross negligence.

King had used cannabis before he drove through an intersection and slammed his car into a truck at Cranbourne on July 13, 2005.

The crash killed Michael Rendall, 18, and Ashley Pearce, 17.

The court heard King, who was driving the friends home at 1am, was 10km/h under the speed limit when he failed to give way and drove into the path of the Mitsubishi tray truck.

King was also injured in the crash and spent almost a month in hospital.

Sentencing King, Victorian County Court Judge Carolyn Douglas noted he had a high reading of cannabis in his blood.

She said the expert evidence of forensic physician Dr Morris Odell indicated King had used cannabis a couple of hours prior to the crash.

"These offences arose out of the one tragic incident in which two young men's lives were taken with consequences that devastated two households and will continue to do so," Judge Douglas said.

"The consequences in this case ... has been causing two families an enormous level of grief and misery and in this case particularly so, as the two deceased were young men."

The court heard King had had six subsequent traffic infringement notices, including for speeding and being a p-plater with a prescribed blood alcohol concentration of 0.045.

Judge Douglas ordered King, a fitness equipment retailer, formerly of Oakleigh, serve a non-parole period of four-and-a-half years.

She disqualified him from driving for two years.

AAP

The Age

Not to mention the life sentence of guilt he has to deal with. I feel sorry for him (and his dead friends and all their families).

I have no doubt he regrets his actions every day and would turn back the clock if he could. However, driving a motor vehicle under the influence of any drug whether it be alcohol, an illicit substance or even prescription medication that alters one’s ability to adequately control a vehicle is downright fucking stupid and selfish. :!

The sentence he received should act as a warning to others out there who believe it's OK to drive off guts. If punishments aren't handed down for this type of gross misconduct then I assume we would see a lot more people being killed and injured on our roads.

I feel really sorry for this guy because it was just weed. I know that's not acceptable, but lets face it, its the least dangerous of all the substances to drive under, barring perhaps speed in some people. These people were just out having a sesh and then he accidentally didnt give way, an error which someone could make sober, and ended up causing a tragedy.

Fucking horrible news, I feel so sorry for both the guy and the families of the deceased. RIP.

lil angel15 said:
The sentence he received should act as a warning to others out there who believe it's OK to drive off guts.

But you know deep down it won't.

The idea that you could kill your friends (or even strangers) and have to live with it for the rest of your life should be more of a deterrent.

permastoned said:
I know that's not acceptable, but lets face it, its the least dangerous of all the substances to drive under, barring perhaps speed in some people.

I'm not sure if you've fully thought out that conclusion. It's all dependent on the level of intoxication at the time of driving. If someone has knocked back half a bottle of vodka, smashed 6 cones of good gear or railed a few points of Charlie then each of their levels of intoxication are going to be markedly different, which in turn, will influence their driving ability. :\

expothead said:
But you know deep down it won't.

The idea that you could kill your friends (or even strangers) and have to live with it for the rest of your life should be more of a deterrent.

It may not have wide reaching effects, however, anyone involved in the case will think twice before jumping in a car when they're fucked up. If these sentences aren't handed down then people will continue to have the 'It doesn't matter anyway attitude' because they know the legal ramifications surrounding such behaviour is not far reaching nor detrimental to their future way of life.

As you've said though, the thought of killing someone close to you should be enough of a deterrent in situations like these. Sadly, in this case, it wasn't.... :(

I'm not sure if you've fully thought out that conclusion. It's all dependent on the level of intoxication at the time of driving. If someone has knocked back half a bottle of vodka, smashed 6 cones of good gear or railed a few points of Charlie then each of their levels of intoxication are going to be markedly different, which in turn, will influence their driving ability.

What do you mean exactly? Of course their levels of intoxication are going to be different, they are using completely different substances. Alcohol is a depressant which reduces reaction time and can tend to make a user feel 'invincible'. Cannabis on the other hand, while slowing reaction time, often makes a driver much more cautious. Speed on the other hand actually improves reaction time, but when taken in excess causes mania, meaning the individual may again feel invincible and pay less attention to the conditions of the road.

There are too many influencing factors to compare drugs and their relative level of safety when combined with driving. Your assessment is subjective and more than likely based on your own personal experiences surrounding the under the influence driving experience.

There is no way to say what's 'safer' because at the end of the day there is no such thing. Driving when you're stoned, drunk or munted is dangerous......full stop

lil angel15 said:
Driving when you're stoned, drunk, munted or sober is dangerous......full stop

Fixed.

Different people, different states of mind.

There's too many variables to debate logically whether '[who] drives better [what]'

Touche =D

I'll elaborate and state that it's invariably more dangerous when under the influence of an intoxicating substance. :)

It still seems kind of messed up that this guy gets a NPP of 4.5 years and a guy that raped an off-tap, sleeping girl while his friends cheered him on only gets 5.5 years. (see the "club rape" thread).

I suppose this guys actions did result in two peoples deaths, but a part of me says intentions should play a heavier role in sentencing...

I don't know.

What does everyone else think?

Touche

I'll elaborate and state that it's invariably more dangerous when under the influence of an intoxicating substance.

Agreed.

I'm__Broken__ said:
It still seems kind of messed up that this guy gets a NPP of 4.5 years and a guy that raped an off-tap, sleeping girl while his friends cheered him on only gets 5.5 years. (see the "club rape" thread).

I suppose this guys actions did result in two peoples deaths, but a part of me says intentions should play a heavier role in sentencing...

I don't know.

What does everyone else think?

I agree, this is why the legal system is fucked.

Now what about prescription medications. The rheumatoid arthritis suffer munching down the oxycontin 20's, and the add kid tweaked out on his dexies get off free, because they were meant to be taking the drugs. Right, cause some douche said so. I see.

permastoned said:
Now what about prescription medications. The rheumatoid arthritis suffer munching down the oxycontin 20's, and the add kid tweaked out on his dexies get off free, because they were meant to be taking the drugs. Right, cause some douche said so. I see.

I couldn’t agree more :)

lil angel15 said:
However, driving a motor vehicle under the influence of any drug whether it be alcohol, an illicit substance or even prescription medication that alters one’s ability to adequately control a vehicle is downright fucking stupid and selfish. :!