• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age - 29/09/2008 'Cannabis worse than stimulants for depression, anxiety'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Cannabis worse than stimulants for depression, anxiety
September 29, 2008

Cannabis smokers are more likely to suffer depression, anxiety and psychosis than stimulant drug takers, according to Australian statistics suggesting the herb's toll on mental health has been underestimated.

The impact of amphetamines on mental state is well known but a new national report shows dope smokers display higher rates of several psychological symptoms when visiting their doctor.

Of patients who mentioned cannabis use to their GP, 48 per cent had a psychological problem, including 19 per cent with depression and nine per cent with psychosis. Six per cent had anxiety.

Only 31 per cent of stimulant users reported similar problems, with significantly lower rates of all conditions, according to the latest bulletin released by the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre in Sydney.

Director, professor Jan Copeland, said the results confirm the dangers of the drug, especially for the 300,000 Australians who smoke it daily.

"It was unexpected, given what we hear about amphetamine-related psychotic symptoms, but it goes to show what a terrible impact cannabis is having on users," Professor Copeland said.

"The delusions, hallucinations and paranoia can be very distressing and people are feeling it."

The results, in data collected from 1,000 randomly-selected GPs, also revealed that mentioning cannabis use to a doctor was very rare, with the drug named in just 19,000 consultations nationwide each year.

Users were more likely to be male, young, unemployed or on a low income and indigenous.

"The low numbers are a major concern given the sheer number of users and the effects we know that use is having," Professor Copeland said.

She said too many users still believed cannabis had few health consequences or were nervous mentioning a drug habit to a doctor.

But Australian Medical Association chair of general practice Dr Rod Pearce said stressed the importance of consulting a doctor.

"Illegality is a non-issue for us and it absolutely has to be given the increasing body of research linking cannabis smoking with psychiatric illness," Dr Pearce said.

"I'm not being wowserish either. This is a serious problem."

About 1.5 million Australians have used cannabis in the past year, with 750,000 smoking it weekly.

Studies show most people do not experience major problems with occasional use but heavy use can lead to depression, memory loss, lung damage, low sex drive and even brain shrinkage.

AAP

The Age

Anxiety was why I stopped smoking marijuana. I was a heavy user at first (a few years ago now) for a few months, stopped for a while then smoked occasionally again and each experience just started to make me anxious. I never smoke it anymore now.

The chicken and the egg - what came first? The mental illness or the cannabis habit?

Also, isn't it true that most stimulant users also use cannabis?

javsav said:
The chicken and the egg - what came first? The mental illness or the cannabis habit?

Valid point. How many people with listed "psychological problems" are using cannabis or alcohol to self-medicate?

Mr Blonde said:
Anxiety was why I stopped smoking marijuana... I never smoke it anymore now.

I'm in exactly the same boat; it made me as paranoid as hell and super anxious.

I found I started getting anxiety and paranoia when I smoked it daily, but occasionally it was ok.

I think this is another case of 'correlation does not necessarily equal causation.'

"Studies show most people do not experience major problems with occasional use."

Moderation.

I find my use of heavier drugs to be a lot more depressing than Marijuana.
And I smoke almost daily.

I did have a period where it made me depressed, or I thought it did so I quit for 6 months and then started again and haven't gotten that effect again.

I agree with the article I think regular marijuana smoking is far more psychologically damaging then occasional E use (talking from personal experience).

The results, in data collected from 1,000 randomly-selected GPs, also revealed that mentioning cannabis use to a doctor was very rare, with the drug named in just 19,000 consultations nationwide each year.

All this study suggests is that the people who are reporting drug use to their doctors need help. All the others 'users' are obviously not in need of any help.

In fact due to the large numbers of people using the drug, and not reporting it to their GP, this study suggests that the drug is quite safe.

"Of patients who mentioned cannabis use to their GP, 48 per cent had a psychological problem, including 19 per cent with depression and nine per cent with psychosis. Six per cent had anxiety."

Why didn't they identify the other 14 per cent?
This is a pretty small study to be making sweeping generalizations about the effects of cannabis.
And relying on voluntary information from drug users, in a society that punishes those who use drugs, is a good way to construe whatever statistics fit your current agenda.
Australia is certainly leading the 'marijuana = anxiety' mantra lately.

"The results, in data collected from 1,000 randomly-selected GPs, also revealed that mentioning cannabis use to a doctor was very rare, with the drug named in just 19,000 consultations nationwide each year.

Users were more likely to be male, young, unemployed or on a low income and indigenous."

I don't know a whole lot about that hemisphere, but Im pretty sure the young unemployed indigenous guys have environmental/social factors that trigger psychiatric problems ~ as well as being among a population that (I think?) uses marijuana (and possibly other intoxicants?) more heavily than the general European population.

It looks like pure propaganda to me.

I get way more paranoid after one cone than I do after shooting ice for 2 days, but its somewhat controllable now, its like I go into little phases where ill get para everytime I smoke weed for a few months, then ill be able to enjoy it for a few months. I think anything that alters the mind has a possibility of making you mentally unstable, it just depends whether your prone to it and how your body individually reacts to each drug.

its like I go into little phases where ill get para everytime I smoke weed for a few months, then ill be able to enjoy it for a few months.

Quite understandable. Used irregularly, cannabis has a tendency to cause significant paranoia and even psychotic behavior, although of course this doesn't happen with everyone. Overall, my observations suggest that long term users tend to be less anxious and paranoid.

What I've noticed over 30 or more years, is that most long term smokers tend to reduce the stress in their lives as much as possible, even going as far as changing their lifestyle to accomplish it. For some of these users, when tragedy or an unexpected problem arises, they might not handle it too well. But for others, such matters are sorted quickly and without too much fuss.

So, when it comes down to it, long term pot users don't tend to exhibit characteristics that are too different from non-users. I've yet to know a single long term smoker that displays extreme psychosis, and I've met many. I've seen it reduce aggression in users, to the point where the person completely changes. Often this occurs around the 20 age mark, particularly where previous alcohol use was a factor. When these people get into dope, it often has a positive impact, with alcohol then taking a deserved second place.

Cannabis is like any drug; great for some, not so good for others.

The strain and dosage is also a factor, one hit and I'm sociable but three hits and I get all clammy/nervous.

And I fully agree with Ketaman. But it's when i'm a heavy smoker I get depressed because it kills motivation to do anything like socialize, which is hard enough for an introvert.

I smoke three times a week now and just one hit, used in the right way I find it makes my life easier!

I have not used cannabis (bar one experience) in over nine months, but I am a regualar amphetamines/MDxx user. I was smoking weed daily (up until a year ago) for the past 3 years of my life, though, but I gave it up due to the paranoia it instilled in me. The benefits from cannabis are different from the benefits from ampets/MDxx. The negative consequences from cannabis are different from the negative consequences of amphets/MDxx. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

And I just so happen to love the taste of oranges right now.

8ft-Sativa said:
The strain and dosage is also a factor, one hit and I'm sociable but three hits and I get all clammy/nervous.

and im the guy sitting in the corner saying stfu and have another code you are talking too much and killing my buzz.

mind you i have quit smoking pot for the same reason as many others, due it it causing me to be anti-social, anxious, panicky, and these ill effects led to depression...... However if being different was socially acceptable i wouldn't have any problems at all!

Summary of article: Cannabis is worse for you than stimulants

Logical conclusion for a cannabis smoker: smoke meth instead.

In the process of demonizing cannabis, the age have inadvertently been advocates of stimulant use. I daresay cannabis is far less dangerous than using meth. Cocaine is probably worse than cannabis too. Maybe when they say stimulants, they mean caffeine and are just trying to blur the facts to make their point.

Then again, cannabis has no "medicinal" benefits apparently (atleast according to those that keep in from becoming available as a medicine here), whereas amphetamine is given to children, so I guess maybe in that regard (as in, the more illegal something is the worse it is for you) then cannabis probably is worse.

peaked said:
Summary of article: Cannabis is worse for you than stimulants

Logical conclusion for a cannabis smoker: smoke meth instead.

In the process of demonizing cannabis, the age have inadvertently been advocates of stimulant use. I daresay cannabis is far less dangerous than using meth. Cocaine is probably worse than cannabis too. Maybe when they say stimulants, they mean caffeine and are just trying to blur the facts to make their point.

Then again, cannabis has no "medicinal" benefits apparently (atleast according to those that keep in from becoming available as a medicine here), whereas amphetamine is given to children, so I guess maybe in that regard (as in, the more illegal something is the worse it is for you) then cannabis probably is worse.

QFT.