Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age - 26/11/07 'Honeymoon drug pact goes awry'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
Honeymoon drug pact goes awry
Christine Kellett
November 26, 2007 - 2:07PM

A Brisbane newlywed whose husband died after swallowing condoms filled with cocaine on their honeymoon will spend the next two-and-a-half years behind bars.

Natacha Brooke Bond, 27, was stony faced as she sat in the dock of Brisbane's Supreme Court, where she pleaded guilty today to international drug trafficking.

The court heard she had only been married a matter of days when her new husband Justin Paul Dann, 36, pressured her to swallow 28 cocaine-filled condoms as the couple honeymooned in Bangkok, Thailand, on December 18 last year.

Mr Dann had himself ingested 37 of the packages, one of which burst shortly after they arrived home to the northside suburb of Kedron two days later.

He was rushed to the Prince Charles Hospital but died on December 26.

The court heard Bond had agreed to swallow the drugs because Dann was the "dominant partner" in their relationship.

He would often take a different flight when the couple holidayed together and kept laxatives and epsom salts in the house, although Bond claimed she was not allowed to ask why.

Her defence barrister, Michael Byrne QC, said Bond, a drug user, had initially refused to marry Dann unless he stopped his smuggling activities, but realised she'd been duped as soon as the pair arrived on their honeymoon.

"If I said no, it meant I wasn't really serious about us," Bond later said.

"He was going to do it regardless."

The court heard over two days, Bond and Dann forced down dozens of condom pellets, and when Dann began to feel unwell, his new bride swallowed extra "to protect him".

Upon their return, one of the pellets inside Dann burst, causing him to beceme delusional and aggressive and kick Bond out of the house.

He rang a friend for help, but had lost consciousness by the time the other man arrived.

Surgeons removed 28 pellets from his stomach. Several more lodged in his colon and could not be retrieved.

Police were eventually called and Bond was taken to hospital, where she passed a total of 112 grams of cocaine, with a street value of up to $44,000.

A further 44 cocaine-filled condoms, MDMA tablets and cannabis was found in her sports bag.

Mr Byrne said her husband's death had devastated Bond, who had received no grief counselling or pyschiatric treatment while in custody on remand.

"I loved my husband deeply," Bond said through her lawyer after pleading guilty this morning to federal charges of trafficking and possessing border controlled drugs.

"I always will. I truly believed we'd grow old together. I would rather have died than live without him."

Justice James Douglas took pity on the young widow, but said deterring other would-be drug smugglers was also important.

He sentenced her to five years' jail, to be released after serving half.

The Age

sad. proof, once again, that drugs are the worst possible dimension in any relationship.

Very sad story, just goes to show that it your are intended to take the risk, you will suffer the coniquenses if something fucked up happens.

I know I have taken some pretty stupid (with potentical deadly consiquenses) risked in the past, but I was lucky enough that things whent well. I know I have lernt from this story.

don't you mean that drug prohibition and what it causes are the worst possible dimension in any relationship.?

ive never seen a couple that was based or started with/on drugs stay together.. in fact they usually hate each other when they stop drugs.. slightly off topic tho

lol, yeah hopefully he/she does!

Drugs in a relationship can be good i think. I've had relationships with and without, and with is much more fun i find, but not when it is to the extent of what their relationship was, i would never be into that kinda stuff.

oh ok, thought it might of been one of my unnapproved posts, my mistake which was pretty much saying the same thing

Cocaine isn't very orally active anyway... So it must have been a shitload in the 'one' that burst.. people really need to realize that stomach acid is a powerful acid that can rip thru the best of things.

Cocaine isn't very orally active anyway... So it must have been a shitload in the 'one' that burst.. people really need to realize that stomach acid is a powerful acid that can rip thru the best of things.

If the condom burst in the intestines, most would be absorbed.

From reports in the Journal of General Internal Medicine, seized (internally secreted) coke filled condoms are normally balls 2-4cm in diameter which means they could contain anything up to an ounce or more. The girl in the story was charged with importation of 112 in 28 condoms, making an average of 4 grams/ condom. Personally, I'd be worried if a burst one only contained a small amount.

Cocaine is toxic to the heart, and is responsible for many heart attacks. Its reported that when a condom ruptures, patients usually die from complications caused by vasoconstriction. IMO, the way condoms are likely to rupture is from peristalsis, perhaps helped along by low pH, or from attempting to defecate.

An interesting experiment would be soak a condom in 0.01M HCl for 1 hour, rinse it and blow it up, noting how big it got before bursting. By comparing it to a non-soaked condom, you should be able to tell if the first condom was weakened by the acid, which is roughly the strength of stomach acid.

ive never seen a couple that was based or started with/on drugs stay together.. in fact they usually hate each other when they stop drugs.. slightly off topic tho

Man, I've known heaps. I agree there's more likely to be bumps when drugs are in the picture, but how those bumps are handled is often no different to how a couple handles other difficulties such as financial troubles, work stress, temptation/playing around and the other, often typical marriage problems. In many cases where drugs do cause a problem, if it wasn't drugs that split a couple up, there'd be some other area of difficulty that would eventually put to test their powers of commitment, resolution, acceptance and devotion for each other.

It's how important these matters are in a relationship that counts most. If you are truly devoted to each other, a marriage can survive through almost anything. Some people can even grow from past drug use, even where that use became a problem. Every such hurdle that's overcome in a marriage can strengthen the relationship, and in any typical relationship, there’ll be many hurdles along the way.

I think drugs can be PART of a sucessful relationship, but a sucessful relationship cannot be BASED on drugs IMO.

Very sad story though, I hope the poor girl gets some proper councelling whilst serving her sentence.