Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: [The Age] - 2/06/05 'Fame and infamy in football's fast lane'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Nothing new being revealed here but an interesting re-cap of what happened when Alisha Horan died in the company of Gary Ablett. This is all being rehashed because Ablett has been admitted to the AFL Hall of Fame.

Fame and infamy in football's fast lane
By Liz Minchin
June 2, 2005

First came fame as a freakishly talented footballer; then came infamy, when years of unpredictable off-field behaviour culminated in a drug binge that left a young fan dead.

It was Valentine's Day, five years ago, when Gary Ablett checked into room 1265 at Melbourne's Park Hyatt hotel with a male friend and an infatuated fan half his age, Alisha Horan.

As Ablett belatedly confessed to police in 2002, over the next three days, they got "wasted" together on alcohol and ecstasy. And then, on February 16, came the moment that Ablett may never live down - when Ms Horan found him about to snort a quarter of a gram of heroin, and he lied about what it was.

"Basically, she caught me with it," Ablett told police. "She asked what it was. I didn't really want her knowing that it was what it was. And I told her it was cocaine. And she wanted some." Explaining he wasn't thinking straight because he had hardly slept for five days, Ablett said he didn't want Ms Horan to use heroin, so "I only gave her a very tiny amount".

Afterwards, the 20-year-old sat on the bed while Ablett had "six or eight times" the amount she had consumed, before he fell asleep on the floor. Hours later, she was dead.

In March 2001, coroner Noreen Toohey found that Ms Horan died from a combination of heroin, ecstasy and amphetamines. Ms Toohey said that Ms Horan had "become enmeshed in a culture of alcoholism and drug-taking with her football hero" and had been "partying out of her league".

After criticising Ablett for failing to take his responsibilities as a high-profile sportsman seriously, Ms Toohey found he was so affected by drugs and alcohol that he was unable to help Ms Horan when he awoke and discovered her unconscious.

In 2002, Ablett pleaded guilty to charges of possessing and using heroin and ecstasy, and was fined $1500. Since then, Ablett has reportedly struggled with depression and has done his best to avoid publicity, even asking the Geelong Football Club to stop nominating him for the AFL Hall of Fame last year to avert the annual speculation about whether he should be admitted.

But even before his retirement in 1997, Ablett had found life off the football field hard to handle. As a teenager, he was found guilty of charges including assault, burglary and drink-driving, but got a second chance at life and senior football when Geelong recruited him in 1984.

He became a born-again Christian, although even in church he could not escape public adulation. In 1989, he split with his wife, Sue - the mother of his four children, Gary jnr, Natasha, Nathan and Alisha - and two years later pleaded guilty to assaulting a pizza delivery man for talking to his estranged wife in the back of a car.

In 1991, Ablett decided he had had enough of football and walked out on Geelong. Four months later, he stunned everyone by wandering into training and asking for his ankles to be strapped.

Although he went on to play some of his best football in the 1990s - winning the league's goalkicking medal three years running and being elevated to club co-captain in 1995-96 - rumours of alcohol and drug abuse returned to haunt him towards the end of his career.

Ablett's two sons have both followed in their father's footsteps and are now playing for Geelong.

From The Age

Ablett is the most brilliant footballer to have played. People who say Matthews or Whitten or Carey were better are really only making that claim based on those players being more rounded leaders as well as being highly skilled players. Ablett had more raw talent than anyone else has ever had, he just had a less balanced and stable character. He could never handle the pressure that his natural talent came with.

I hate it when i hear people critically attacking him for his off field life. He isnt a perfect person but fuck i am glad i was growing up during the era he did some amazing things on the footy field.

Just goes to show that in Australia as long as you play football really, really well, you can get away with anything.

BigTrancer ;)

Sorry, missed posting this one yesterday too. This is the controversial one.

Upset dad hits Ablett AFL honour
Shelley Hodgson and Scott Gullan
02 Jun 2005

THE father of drug overdose victim Alisha Horan has branded as stupid the decision to induct fallen star Gary Ablett into the AFL Hall of Fame.

After being shunned for the past four years because of his controversial off-field life, the Hall of Fame committee has finally decided to bestow the honour on Ablett, regarded by many as the greatest player ever.

Ablett, 43, will be inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame on Monday night.

But Alan Horan, whose daughter died after a drug-taking binge while with Ablett, slammed the move:"There's a qualification to get into the Hall of Fame and he certainly does not fit it. "If they're dumb enough, that's their business.

"It's not going to make any difference -- it's not going to bring my daughter back."

Asked if Ablett was a bad choice for the Hall of Fame, Mr Horan said: "If they think he's not, it goes to show they don't choose people very well.

"I just think they're stupid, that's it."

Ms Horan, 20, died of a drug overdose in Ablett's hotel room at the Park Hyatt in February, 2000.

The pair shared about a dozen ecstasy pills and later snorted heroin.

At the inquest a year later, coroner Noreen Toohey found Ablett was too drunk and probably drug affected to save Ms Horan's life.

Ablett refused to give evidence at her inquest on the grounds he might incriminate himself.

In November, 2002, he pleaded guilty to four drug charges relating to the incident. He was fined $1500 and ordered to pay $55 costs.

Mr Horan has described the former Geelong champion as an animal, saying he should have been charged with manslaughter.

Last year he said: "As far as I'm concerned he had a hand in my daughter's death."

While admitting Ablett was a great footballer, Crime Victim's Support Association president Noel McNamara last night slammed the decision to induct him.

"There's a young person dead," Mr McNamara said.

"In the Hall of Fame listing, I believe the word integrity stands out pretty well . . . he's got no integrity as far as we are concerned."

On Monday, Geelong chief executive Brian Cook will accept the honour on behalf of the club's greatest player.

The reclusive Ablett is believed to be in Queensland after spending a couple of years fighting depression in seclusion of the Blue Mountains outside Sydney.

The AFL was set to announce Ablett's inclusion today but the league's plans were thrown into disarray when the embargo on the Hall of Fame nominations was broken by Channels 9 and 7.

This year Ablett asked the Cats not to nominate him for the Hall of Fame as he was sick of the controversy.

However, the club does not need to be involved if the person is eligible, which Ablett became in 2001 as it was more than three years since he last played in 1997.

Ablett's omission has been based on the Hall of Fame criteria including playing " record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship and character".

From Herald Sun

Alan Horan is coming across a bit like Tony Wood here. He kind of makes it sound as if Alisha played absolutely no part in her own death and accusing Ablett of manslaughter.

Why is this such a typical reaction from the parents of teens who have died from drug usage?

I think in part it's a manisfestation of guilt on their own part that they didn't take a greater interest in the lives of their child when they were alive. Instead it's easier to blame the "bad evil man" out there somewhere who gave drugs to his daughter or the drugs themselves.

Also, I think that only people who have experienced the tiredness and come-down that comes with taking recreational drugs like cocaine and ecstacy can truly appreciate just how great a player Ablett was. The stories I've heard of him spending the night and morning out and going straight to a game the next day and kicking eight goals... now that's superhuman.

:)

he was probably off his face when he kicked those 8 goals... doesn't take much to hide ur coke snuff - INSTANT SUPERMAN

I think this is an absolutely disgusting commentary on the vaules held within the Australian Football League.

What a great man we can only hope more people grow up to become just like him.

In November, 2002, he pleaded guilty to four drug charges relating to the incident. He was fined $1500 and ordered to pay $55 costs.

Now that's the kind of lawyer Ms Corby needs...

BigTrancer said:
Just goes to show that in Australia as long as you play football really, really well, you can get away with anything.

BigTrancer ;)

One only needs to look at the high incidences of pack-rape allegations against footballers which get covered up to see that. Now, if they were muslim gangs the media would be howling for a lynching :\

Leave the poor bloke alone. Obviously he has a drug addiction no need to attack him personally for one mistake that obviously, in the courts eyes, wasn't really his fault.

He was one of the best players i've ever seen play football...who can you name that took better marks than he did ?

"Just goes to show that in Australia as long as you play football really, really well, you can get away with anything. "

I wouldn't single out Australia or Football even.

"One only needs to look at the high incidences of pack-rape allegations against footballers which get covered up to see that."

Heard of black mail, how do you know these are truthful allegations. Of course these football players are going to be targetted...they got the cash, they got the profile. Just another woman chasin the dollar.

^^^ agree KostoN.

Ablett was a freak of a footballer, and deserves his place in the hall of fame.

its amazing how many "nobodys" love to assasinate

if theres anything we should take from this, YES drugs are dangerous, and YES mixing them is even more dangerous.

Most people make decisions, I highly doubt she unknowingly took multiple drugs and probably multiple times.

Congratulations on a stellar FOOTBALL career, Ablett.

Rogue Pies fans hurl gibes over star's dad
Article from: Herald Sun
Chris de Kretser
April 15, 2009 12:00am

A BAND of renegade Magpie fans chanted cruel insults at Geelong champ Gary Ablett about his fallen father.

"Your dad is a murderer," about 200 Collingwood supporters sang in unison behind the city end goals at the MCG last Thursday night.

The chant refers to Gary Ablett Sr's involvement in the drug-related death of Alisha Horan, 20, in 2000.

Nova breakfast host Dave Hughes said he was shocked.

"What they sing is so out of line, I can't believe it," he said.

Hughes said the Collingwood supporters, who were not part of the official cheer squad, were involved in organised singing and chanting.

"They stand behind the goals - I reckon a couple of hundred of them - and sing," he said.

"It's almost like they have had choir practice - the songs are in unison and they know the words."

Songs include F--- you Pussycats to the tune of Tom Jones's What's New Pussycat.

Manager Liam Pickering said Ablett was unaware of the abuse.

Former cheer squad president Kerri Baptist said the rogue supporters were removed from the squad last year because of persistent antisocial behaviour.

"They step way over the lines of decency," she said.

"If they are club members and the club knows who they are, they should be thrown out.

"People either love us or hate us, and this sort of stuff makes people hate us even more."

Cheer squad identity Joffa Corfe said the renegade fans stood in the bays at the back of the Ponsford Stand goals drinking and shouting abuse.

"That's crap and shouldn't be tolerated," he said.

Collingwood spokesman Nick Hulett said he did not believe the rogue fans were Magpie members.

Ablett Sr was with Ms Horan when she died of a drug overdose at the Park Hyatt Hotel. He was later convicted and fined $1500 for using and possessing ecstasy and heroin.

Last week three Collingwood supporters were charged with assaulting Brad Jones, the father of Melbourne footballer Nathan Jones, at the MCG.

Herald Sun

that is some seriously fucked up shit. poor kid. he should not have to suffer for the actions of his dad, for chrissakes.

I only read this just now. Knew Mr Ablett had his substance abuse issues but never heard of this incident. I have to say, I don't like successful sports people being demonized for drug use just because they are in the public eye. Nor do I place blame on others for decisions one made. That said, if he told her that the heroin was cocaine causing her to use some, it is reasonable to assume he played a significant role in her death, and it wasn't really her decision to use heroin if she was told it was coke is it.