Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age - 14/07/09 'Drugged drivers the target of TAC's shock campaign'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew

Drugged drivers the target of TAC's shock campaign
Thomas Hunter
July 14, 2009 - 12:08PM

Cannabis-affected drivers are the target of the Transport Accident Commission's latest road toll "shock campaign".

Launching the campaign this morning, Premier John Brumby said the advertisements focused on recreational cannabis users who put themselves and others at risk.

"We're getting an increasing number of people who are driving under the influence of illegal drugs," Mr Brumby told Fairfax Radio. "One in 65 people who are being randomly tested have either cannabis or stimulants in their system."

"Of last year's road fatalities, which were just over 300 people, more than 20 per cent of the people who were killed on our roads had illegal drugs in their system, cannabis and or stimulants. So this is becoming an increasing problem."

My Brumby said the advertisements, which will be appear on radio, television, in print and online, and which target recreational users in their 30s and 40s, have "a simple message - if you drive on drugs, you're out of your mind."

He described the advertisements as powerful, noting they were the first new shock ads from the TAC in over five years.

"We've still got a major issue with alcohol and with drugs," Mr Brumby said.

"So many people, the evidence shows, think that having a puff on a joint or using amphetamines doesn't really impair road judgement. The evidence shows some people think it improves road judgement.

"The research is absolutely contrary to that and we've got to get the message out. Their driving is erratic. The stop at lights for longer than they should. They just sit there in the traffic. They make errors in where they park their car. They make errors at the speed at which they travel.

"That makes our roads much less safe than they should be and we're going to be relentless in this and in driving that road toll down."

The campaign starts tonight and will run for three weeks.

The Age

Watch the ad here

Last edited:

"Of last year's road fatalities, which were just over 300 people, more than 20 per cent of the people who were killed on our roads had illegal drugs in their system, cannabis and or stimulants. So this is becoming an increasing problem."

"So many people, the evidence shows, think that having a puff on a joint or using amphetamines doesn't really impair road judgement. The evidence shows some people think it improves road judgement.

of course its really the same thing 8)

The allegedly accurate stats indicate that 1 in 3 people who die as a result of a fatal MVA were smoking the chron chron not long before. Similar figures have been bandied about with regard to pedestrian fatalities.

One wonders, considering the fact that cannabis takes, bar none, the longest time to clear the body's tissue with regard to rec drugs (not including steroidal agents here, considering Nandrolone can hang around for 1.5 years), just how relevant the testable presence of illicit drugs which are present in the body of decedent are to the cause of death.

Shocking TAC ad aimed at drug-drivers to reduce road toll
Article from: Herald Sun
Geraldine Mitchell
July 14, 2009 01:04pm

A SHOCKING TV advertisement depicting a horrific death is the latest campaign to stop drugged drivers from getting behind the wheel.

The TAC advertisement, which will appear on television screens tonight alongside radio and billboard campaigns, is aimed at dramatically reducing the number of road deaths.

Victoria Police statistics show 100 Victorians who lost their lives on the roads last year had drugs in their system and 60 of those tested positive to cannabis.

Premier John Brumby said he was alarmed at the number of people who believed they were better drivers after smoking cannabis.

Mr Brumby said cannabis and stimulants were the most commonly detected illegal drugs on the road.

"I know people and they’ll tell you that when they use cannabis they’re better, they’re sharper, when they use cannabis they’re more relaxed, they drive better… well, rubbish they are," he said.

"This is an accurate depiction of what happens, and what happens to real people and what happened to 60 Victorians last year and all of them could have been people we know, 60 of them, and they’re dead with cannabis in their system.’’

The advertisement depicts a drug driver experiencing impaired mental function that leads to waiting longer than necessary at a stop sign, driving over a kerb and into the middle of the road and stepping into traffic.

Victoria Police deputy commissioner for road policing Ken Lay said anyone injured in a road accident would now have their blood tested for drugs as well as alcohol.

Mr Lay said the changes were expected to lead to another 1000 motorists being charged with drug driving.

He said more booze buses would also now have the capacity to test for drugs as well.

"I’d like to think it (advertisement) was the figment of the imagination of the marketing guru at the TAC but it’s not, it’s a fact of life and it’s happening far too often,’’ he said.

Mr Brumby defended the graphic advertisement, saying it was an accurate depiction of what was happening in Victoria.

"It’s very accurate, it’s 100 per cent accurate and the problem we’ve got is the same problem we had with alcohol when I was growing up," he said.

"When I was a kid 20 or 30 years ago, there was this view in the community that you could have five or 10 drinks and it could make you into a racing car driver.

"How many people have you met in your life who’ve said I drive better after five beers or five glasses of wine, well the evidence shows you don’t, overwhelmingly, and it took some time to get that message across with the .05 campaign and it’s going to take some time to get this message across."

Herald Sun

I can't wait to see the ad I am sure it will be quite funny.

Fortehlulz brings up a great point about the detection times for cannabis being a factor of it being in so many people. Ofcourse they don't want to mention that in the campaign otherwise it might seem just a little bit stupider ;).

was lucky enough to drive through a random drug test this week - the negative result was welcomed but unexpected. Either my body eliminates stuff very quickly, the test kits aren't reliable or that mouth was really works!

I just watched the ad and I think the moral of that ad is, if you're drug driving, don't pull over...

No stoner is gonna ever leave their car now.

I found the add to be pretty hilarious :\

Ad is here

I couldn't help it, but my first reaction was to laugh. Something about the way the car hits him seemed sort of comical.

I don't what it is about the ad agencies the road authorities use, but they just appear to be masterful at ads that you just can't quite take seriously.

Haha there was still half of the J going, tolerance much... lol

Has anyone heard of someone having a crash while stoned? I haven't lol :\

^ I have but it genuinely wasn't there fault or even avoidable (by the stoned driver, the other person could of avoided it).

That ad is so funny, is that really the best that they could come up with? Like fucking seriously I wont say that would never happen but I would blame retardation before I blamed being stoned.

can't wait to find out what the results are from that Sydney study re: meth and driving...

Okay, I have watched this ad, and even if the guy hadnt had a toke, he would have been killed, the the other fucking driver took off his door, so what the fuck had HE been smoking??????

Yeah and how come the cars are all doing 50-60 and the one that hits him is doing like 80kmph. -_-

Last edited:
Um okay I don't support the kind of shock tactics this add represents, but driving whilst stoned is not okay. It's definitely unsafe, driving while intoxicated on anything is unsafe in comparison to driving whilst sober and I myself have had a serious accident (two cars totaled) because of running a red light whilst stoned. So don't joke about that kind of shit, driving whilst stoned isn't a joke.

satricion, wasn't making light of the situation. drunk/drug driving is not what anyone wants, too many risks, to themselve and worse, other people.
However if there is going to be shock tactics it would be best that they use tactics that are fully believable or people won't take it too seriously. For instance if this guy had been taken with no damage to the car, that would show that him walking into traffic was the problem, the fact that the other car rips the door off isn't conclusive that the other guy wasn't totally blameless.

The problem is, the message of that ad lacks a specific cause/effect link. The decedent could've been ripped and walked onto the road without having been in a car in the first place... now, had they spun it that it caused the driver, while in control of the vehicle, to have an accident, I'd be more inclined to take notice.