Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age - 13/12/08 'Australia target of Israeli ecstasy'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew

Australia target of Israeli ecstasy
Jason Koutsoukis, Jerusalem
December 13, 2008

ISRAELI drug lords are increasingly targeting Australia for ecstasy smuggling.

Israeli police intelligence reveals that crime syndicates operating out of Israel view Australia as a booming market for the party drug.

Israeli crime syndicates control a significant share of the global ecstasy trade and have a long history of supplying the Australian market.

In March, 45-year-old Israeli man Benjamin Rosenfeld was sentenced to 21 years' jail for importing 112 kilograms of the drug MDMA, the main ingredient of ecstasy, with a street value estimated at $45 million.

Rosenfeld organised the drug shipment from the northern Israeli port of Haifa.

According to Israel police, Israeli crime gangs are smuggling large quantities of ecstasy out of production houses in the Netherlands, then into Belgium and Spain.

From there the smuggling route can be traced through the Middle East to Thailand or Singapore, and then on to Australia.

"We are well aware that members of the organised families here have established connections in Australia and view it as a lucrative and growing market that they are looking to exploit," a senior member of Israel's Coastal Police central unit told The Age.

Speaking on condition of anonymity because he did not have authorisation to brief the media, the police source said that Israeli police believe organised crime gangs were making increasing use of couriers who carried smaller parcels of drugs.

"This has been the pattern, especially because South-East Asia and Australia are such popular destinations for Israeli backpackers when they finish military service," he said.

"They are young people so this makes it easier for criminals to try to persuade them to carry drugs."

Last month a Thai court sentenced two Israelis to death after convicting them of drug smuggling.

The two men were arrested last year as part of a major drug operation and were caught with 23,000 ecstasy pills.

The pills had been smuggled from Europe and were destined for sale in Australia.

In 2004 an Israeli backpacker was sentenced to 5½ years' jail for his role in the importation of ecstasy worth up to $17.5 million.

A 2003 US State Department report said Israel was at the centre of the global ecstasy trade and that Israeli crime organisations had obtained control of the European ecstasy market.

"Organised crime has been getting stronger in Israel … Until we get more resources here to fight the criminals, we believe their smuggling operations will continue to get stronger," the police source said.

The Age

Wouldn't this be a good thing in a way? From the E users perspective? I know Israel has a huge E culture so maybe more quality pills will be coming in now?

This is old news ... Israelis in Canada are also mass producing there ..... and the Asians are getting on the band wagon as well .... :)

more and more drugs for me ... :)

Yeah, I read that and I knew there would've been a truckload of pills coming in before they got caught.

Fingers crossed for some decent pills to come along hey. I want to buy some goddamn pure MDMA.

One thing i dont understand is that there are soooo many drug lab busts in australia. where i lived in europe there were never busts in the country other than the famous 2cb lab bust and we always had clean good mdma pills. How come there not coming localy?

Good, i hope these awesome people keep producing such a wonderous drug.

In March, 45-year-old Israeli man Benjamin Rosenfeld was sentenced to 21 years' jail for importing 112 kilograms of the drug MDMA, the main ingredient of ecstasy, with a street value estimated at $45 million.

Last time i checked, MDMA is the sole constituent of ecstasy, the media just can't get their heads around this one.

Sure, pills can be cut with anything, but then they aren't "ecstasy" then are they, just a random pill.