Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age - 13/08/09 'Abbott lame, gay churchy loser'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew

Abbott lame, gay churchy loser, says his daughter
August 13, 2009

TONY Abbott has thrown his support behind an anti-drugs program for parents after his teenage daughter called him a ''lame, gay churchy loser''.

The Opposition spokesman for families was trying to talk to the 18-year-old about the perils of drug abuse, ''with what I thought was a worthy moral exultation'', he said at the launch of How To Drug-Proof Your Kids program yesterday.

Only a year ago police were called to Mr Abbott's home to disperse a crowd of revellers trying to gatecrash his daughter's birthday party.

Yesterday, the developmental manager for gay youth support group Twenty10, David Moutou, said ''gay'' was not synonymous with ''bad'' and was disappointed it would be repeated that way by a respected member of Parliament.

''Young people in their school environment are hypersensitive to the use of words, like 'gay', with negative connotations,'' he said.

The preventive program teaches parents how to talk to eight to 14-year-olds about drinking, smoking and drugs. ''Parents are the most influential factor in steering children away from drug use,'' the chief executive of Focus on the Family, which developed the program, Brett McLeod, said.

YUKO NARUSHIMA

The Age

You've got to feel for the daughter of Abbott because he is quite a knob. =D

"Abbott lame, gay churchy loser"

This really isn't news is it? Everyone has know this since he first appeared on the political scene

LOL

He is one of my least liked politicians - good to see someone giving him a serve (outside of question time for once)

My theory is the conservatism got smacked into to him when he got his blue

I thought it said "Ablett" when I first read the title.

Then I thought "Well isn't every one who played for Geelong?" :\

You've got to feel for the daughter of Abbott because he is quite a knob.

I would have thought that someone who couldn't relate to his own kids would be the last person you'd want promoting such a resource :\

At least with the likes of Abbot and Pyne on the opposition front bench, their chances of being re-elected fade every time either opens their mouth. It always begs the question though; Just what sort of people elect these idiots?

Back to the topic. To summarise the likely effectiveness of any such program; unless parents learn all there is to learn - including the other side of the argument, then kids with a similar view of their parents as Miss Abbot are unlikely to be reached. As its been since the dawn of prohibition, the don't tell em everything philosophy is doomed to failure, particularly these days with the resources available to young people who want the full picture.

I'd like to see a resource aimed at parents that assumes that they are ongoing functional drug users. Back in the 60s it was probably fair to assume that illicit drug use was almost exclusively the province of the younguns - that aint the case now... ;)

The best way to educate the kids of today on drug use would be to educate the parents in the first place.

Last edited:
The best way to educate the kids of today oin drugs use would be to educate the parents in the first place.
We have a winner people :D! In all honesty if more money was put into education we would still be seeing all this government drug propaganda. Assuming a lot of parents have first hand experience with drugs then they're most likely to be the best teachers/educators.