Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The AGE - 13/07/07 'Vic govt sat on drug report: opposition'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
Vic govt sat on drug report: opposition
July 13, 2007 - 8:49PM

The state government has sat on research about Victorians' attitudes to drugs for 18 months instead of engaging the community in debate, an opposition spokeswoman says.

Mary Wooldridge, opposition spokeswoman for mental health and drug use, said the state government had appeared to suppress the research findings and not encouraged feedback from young people and relevant experts.

The report, into the social and cultural contexts of ecstasy and related drug use, was prepared by four authorities that have played a key role in developing the Victorian Drug Strategy.

"Ecstasy use is prevalent and it's increasing," Ms Wooldridge said.

"Surely, what we would expect is that the government engage the public, community and the health sector in debate (over these drug issues)."

She said it was critical Victoria confront the state's drug problems by releasing all reports as they became available.

Open discussion and a solution-based approach was the best way to make a difference in relation to drugs.

But the government said it did not accept all the report's suggestions, including the use of ecstasy pill testers, which let users assess the drug's purity, as a possible deterrent.

"While the government did not support all the report's findings, the research undertaken was informative and useful," state Minister for Mental Health Lisa Neville said.

"The government rejected the report's suggestion of making ecstasy pill testers available to the community, because it would send out the wrong message.

"Ecstasy is illegal and never safe to take. It should not be encouraged in any way."

Ms Neville said that since the report's release, the government had made a pre-emptive strike against ice and other amphetamines, including establishing the new Amphetamines Taskforce.

"In the recent state budget, the Bracks government allocated $156 million over the next five years for drug prevention and treatment services.

"Ongoing research into community attitudes to drugs is important because government policy needs to address changes in drug use and emerging drugs, including ice."

The government's revamped Drug Prevention Council would reconvene next month, she said.

The council will help develop a four-year alcohol and drug abuse prevention strategy, focusing on better responses to poly drug use, including amphetamines, heroin, cannabis and alcohol abuse.

The AGE

This is related reading material. Very interesting read.

Interesting too about how in NSW pill testing may be partially LEGAL, or at least not POSSESSION/SUPPLY for the on site testers.

Have a read!
Cheers to Johnboy for the heads up!

On Site Ecstasy Testing PDF File

I remember taking part in this study, it would have been almost a couple of years now. I was just thinking the other day what the outcomes were, seems the government's not interested in listening.

Hardly surprising, in my almost 1.5 hour interview with Cameron Duff, a lot of what I said wasn't what I expected MP's in government would want to hear about ecstasy use in youth culture.

Also, it's hardly worthwhile for the Liberal opposition to criticise, they'd be even less likely to implement pill testing, or even listen to the arguments.

Argh!! Agreed hoptis, like the Liberals would make these findings, or at least the key sensible reccomendations, highly publicised.

Just another fine example of politics over-stepping its bounds on issues that should be looked upon from a scientific and helth related stand-point.

Seems that none of the major parties actually wants to tackle the communities drug problems. These articles just make me sadder and madder that nothing positive will ever come from the politicians attempts to 'solve' drug related problems: bandaid solutions, and a "sweep it under the carpet" mentality has taken over mainstream political thought :( :(

well, we could always play by their rules and make our own political party. If pauline hanson can do it, surely we can too ?

I used to care a lot about harm reduction, pill testing and getting a lab testing program up and running, but these days I don't hold out much hope.