• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Sunbury Leader - 14/04/09 'Sunbury students in dangerous passing out game'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew

Sunbury students in dangerous ‘passing out’ game
14 Apr 09 @ 09:00am by Caitlin Ryan

A SUNBURY school says some of its students have been caught taking part in a dangerous asphyxiation game.

Salesian College student services deputy principal Tullio Zavattiero has now written to parents highlighting the dangers of the passing out “game”.

Mr Zavattiero said the practice led to students hyperventilating and passing out.

The Sunbury Leader has deliberately chosen not to publish details on how the “game” is played. Mr Zavattiero said up to 10 young Salesian students had been taking part in the practice but had since stopped.

He said the school became aware of the practice after noticing a young student behaving oddly.

“Obviously there are enormous risks associated with playing this ‘game’ and I understand that some students can experience seizures and severe headaches as a result of the lack of oxygen reaching their brain,” he said.

He said college teachers were briefed and asked to tell students of the dangers associated with the practice. A notice in the student bulletin also discouraged them from the dangerous game.

“It was good to have the support of many senior students who actively discouraged junior students from participating and voiced their concern and disapproval of the passing out game,” said Mr Zavattiero, adding that no students were disciplined for playing the “game”.

Royal Australian College of Physicians spokeswoman and pediatrician Prof Susan Sawyer said intentional hyperventilation had major medical risks.

“There is no trigger to breathe, which is dangerous to the brain,” she said.

“If kids are repeatedly and constantly involved, there are also broader concerns of acute injury, like hitting their head as they fall.”

Prof Sawyer, director of adolescent health at the Royal Children’s Hospital, said teenagers often experimented with new experiences.

“It is extreme behaviour, and pretty distressing that young people would engage in these activities, but there is nothing new about this,” she said.

“We understand that young people want to test their bodies. The challenge is for them to appreciate that there is a health and social downside.”

Sunbury Leader

Not strictly drug discussion but it's well recognised that such behaviour is simply an extension of humans pursuing altered states in any way they can. :)

We did this when I was at school.

Great way to get out of tests and sports.

But I wouldn't condone it as it is very dangerous and can go bad quickly

I remember a bunch of kids in my sports class doing this whenever the gymnastic mats were out. It's funny to watch, but no way that i'd do it..shit.

lol, my mates and i used to do this shit to freak people out, passing out in the corridors and such...

not good when i think about it these days, but i've done it myself and would liken it to bulbing out sorta?

my friend suggested i try this in like year 7

i tried but got bored pretty quickly

it's nothing new it seems haha

peculiar! very peculiar. seems this sort of thing went over my head...total square that i was back then, hehe.
sounds fairly risky though...i suppose you feel invincible at that age, though.

I dont remember seeing anyone doing this ever!!..Ppl sniffed deodorant which wore off pretty quickly thank goodness....We smoked weed, had a bucket set up in the principal's garden...lmao..oh i miss those days!

ppl did this at my school , hyperventilated and then had someone put a towele or something around their neck till they passed out , pretty dumb if u ask me

wowww. ive never had a holding breath competition (or whatever it is).

Wow haha, this is just.. wow!

The worst game iver ever played was me and the boys take turns smashing our heads against the desk while the teacher was away and whoever got the largest lump won.

I FUCKIN WON :D

HAHAHAHAHAH this story is some funny shit. i swear to god, when ur asphyxiated by someone holding ur guts and shit in school, and wen the head of school walks in YA FUCKED! lol, im surprised this type of altered-conciousness made HEADLINES. WOOOO. we used to do thaty shit at Churchie in brisbane all the time babby!

It's not holding your breath. Not sure if i can discuss it in detail but they basically stop the air from reaching the brain..You can do it pretty quickly too.

yeah we hyperventilated then had someone hold their hands against our upperchest with pressure, you pass out within about 20 seconds

Yep ^^ Make somebody hyperventilate for like 30 seconds the give them a big ol bear hug from the back.