Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: SMH - 19/08/07 'Man's heart stops after Red Bull overdose'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Man's heart stops after Red Bull overdose
Daniel Dasey
August 19, 2007

A MAN whose heart stopped after he consumed eight Red Bull energy drinks in five hours has called for an overhaul of the product's warning labels.

Matthew Penbross, 28, collapsed after downing the popular drinks, each containing 80 milligrams of caffeine, last Sunday.

He drank the Red Bull while competing in a motocross event on the state's Mid North Coast.

His heart stopped and he needed defibrillation from ambulance officers.

Now facing six weeks off work, he said warning labels on the products should be revamped to alert people that excessive consumption could lead to death. Labels currently warn against consuming more than two cans, or 1.5 bottles a day, without describing the consequences.

"They say [on energy drink labels] don't have more than this much," Mr Penbross said.

"But they don't say if you have too much, what will happen."

Dr Malcolm Barlow, a cardiologist who treated Mr Penbross at Newcastle's John Hunter Hospital, said it appeared excessive consumption of energy drinks had precipitated the heart attack.

He said Mr Penbross had no other risk factors apart from smoking and had told him he previously experienced chest pain at times when his intake of the drinks was high.

NSW Health has urged people to be extremely cautious of overdosing on stimulant products. Department spokesman Dr Robert Batey said consuming high levels of stimulants had the potential to cause heart attacks.

"It will raise blood pressure and pulse rate and both of those things put a significant demand on the heart."

Mr Penbross, a concreter, regularly had four Red Bull drinks a day.

"With the work I do I don't have a lot of time to eat," he said. "I have a couple of Red Bulls in the morning and it carries me through."

Last Sunday he was competing in a motocross event near Port Macquarie when he consumed eight Red Bulls over five hours.

"It was to get a bit of a buzz and keep down my reaction time," he said. "You have got to get off [the mark] and around the first corner first."

After his event, Mr Penbross, from Bonny Hills, noticed his heart racing. He collapsed soon after

He was taken to Port Macquarie Hospital before being flown to Newcastle.

There is no history of heart disease in the family and Mr Penbross is in peak physical condition.

Mr Penbross said he had sworn off Red Bull.

A spokeswoman for Red Bull said she was unable to comment on Mr Penbross's case, but that the product label was clear in advising against excessive consumption. She said labelling requirements for energy drinks were set by the Federal Government.

IN THE CAN

Red Bull contains: carbonated water, sucrose, glucose, acid (sodium citrates), taurine (0.4pc), glucuronolactone, caffeine (0.03pc), inositol, vitamins (niacinamide), pantothenic acid (B6, B12), flavours, colours (caramel, riboflavin). Each can contains 80 milligrams of caffeine.

Sydney Morning Herald

Quite frankly I have no sympathy for this guy. He took more than 4 times the recommended dosage - it should have come as no surprise what was going to happen. I'm sick of people that assume a legal buzz = 100% safe.

yeah replacing food with redbulls? and having 8 over 5 hrs? What is he expecting. He smokes as well. Sounds crazy to me, i have 2 or maybe 3 over a whole night (8 hrs) and i feel sped up.

It is pretty dumb ay. 8 cans is a lot of red bull.

So many people are getting into jagerbombs(jagermeister/redbull) lately, having 10 of them a night is a really bad idea. I think the clubs/pubs should be warning people about this too.

It's not uncommon for me to consume 300-800mg caffeine per day =/

peaked said:
Quite frankly I have no sympathy for this guy. He took more than 4 times the recommended dosage - it should have come as no surprise what was going to happen. I'm sick of people that assume a legal buzz = 100% safe.
lol that was my thought exactly... 4 times the recommended dose, and he wants the warning label to be changed!?! what a fucking moron, im sorry but its common sense... it tells you not to do it, he ignored the warning and payed the price... this just makes me so mad how stupid some people are...

Im not sure what he wants changed. It already says, don't exceed 2 per day. Its probably the only warning on there. How much clearer can they make it.

Legal or not, it still go's to show that anything used irresponsibly has the potential to cause damage. Conversely, substances used wisely can be extremely beneficial.

These new wave of party pills contain large amounts of caffeine. I wouldnt be surprised if someone dropped dead from ingesting 4 or more neo doves in a night and alot of ND users do this on a regular basis.
large dose of caffeine and weed has given me the most intense panic attacks of my life and felt likemy heart was going at 180bpm or more.

Morissey said:
It's not uncommon for me to consume 300-800mg caffeine per day =/

I'm in the same boat. I must have a very high tolerance to caffeine by now.
I drink redbull for the taste :D

he would of been better racking a nice line of wizz...dangerous legal shit...when will people learn..

What a dumbass, because when the can says "maximum consumption 2 a day" you just take that as a go-ahead to skull 8 cans in 5 hours. I agree with hazza, next time stick to real speed and not something that promotes a Formula 1 team and a highly dangerous air race.

I wouldn't go as far as saying Meth is better for his heart then Caffeine. He probably has a bad heart to start with.

the_ketaman said:
I think the clubs/pubs should be warning people about this too.

I don't. I think adults should take responsibility for what the swallow, not blame someone else. Not to mention how is a bar chick supposed to know how many red bulls you've had.

Having said that, who's read a can of coke lately? Perhaps Red Bull advertising should carry warnings rather than a bit of fine print on can than can't in the dark in a club.