Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: SMH - 19/02/08 'Did a sleeping pill end her brilliant life?'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Did a sleeping pill end her brilliant life?
Dylan Welch
February 19, 2008

SHE was young, gifted and only weeks away from receiving her doctorate. A young philosophy graduate, she had been offered scholarships at Oxford and Cambridge. The eminent philosopher Raimond Gaita lauded her as a future leader in the field.

Instead, Mairead Costigan died when she plunged about 20 metres from a raised cycleway on the Harbour Bridge last September. Her family believes it was another tragedy involving the controversial sleeping pill Stilnox. Mairead had been on the drug for about eight months, though she switched to another Z-class sleeping pill, Imovane, the week before she died.

Security footage shows 30-year-old Mairead walking groggily across the cycle path and climbing onto a ledge before she fell.

Stilnox has been implicated in other deaths and blamed for bizarre behaviour including driving, eating and even sexual misadventure while sleeping. While the family acknowledges that Imovane may have been the trigger on the night of her fall, it is convinced that the prescription of Stilnox for eight months - when only four weeks is recommended - was the core reason for her death. As a coronial inquiry begins into Mairead's death, her family wants the drug banned.

-------------

Do you have a Stilnox story? Message 0424 SMS SMH (+61 424 767 764) or email us with information or images.

-------------

The Therapeutic Goods Administration meets today to consider reclassifying zolpidem, which sells in Australia as Stilnox, as a "drug of abuse", making it harder for doctors to prescribe it and for pharmacists to issue it.

The manufacturer of zolpidem, sanofi-aventis, will oppose the rescheduling of the drug, which is used by more than 250,000 people in Australia.

"Sanofi-aventis does not believe any change in scheduling will positively impact the appropriate prescribing, dispensing and use of zolpidem," it said in an emailed response to the Herald.

Mairead's sister, Siobhan, 34, said: "Mairead died at the peak of her life personally and professionally. She was three weeks away from graduation, she'd spent 12 years of her life working solidly towards obtaining her [doctorate] and she died three weeks before she ever got to enjoy the fruits of her labours."

Mairead was the niece of Frank Costigan, QC, the head of the royal commission into organised crime in the 1980s.

After six years at Loreto Kirribilli and Killara High School, Mairead did an undergraduate degree in philosophy at Sydney University, where she came first in her honours year. She was offered scholarships at Oxford, Cambridge and Stanford. She began her doctoral studies at Stanford then returned to Sydney University to complete her PhD.

However, in early 2007 Mairead began to suffer insomnia. She went to a large medical clinic in Sydney in January last year and began a course of Stilnox. Over the next eight months, several doctors prescribed Stilnox for her.

Over the final few months of her life Mairead became anxious and confused and developed short-term memory loss. Her weight dropped from 51 kilos to the low-40s and her insomnia returned. About a week before she died she changed to Imovane, also owned by sanofi-aventis.

Then, on September 13, Mairead walked to the Harbour Bridge shortly after 10pm from her parents home at Lavender Bay. There, she climbed a chest-high sandstone wall with 30cm-ledge over the traffic. She stepped off the ledge and fell to the roadway. She was pronounced dead 40 minutes later.

Siobhan has seen the CCTV footage of her sister on the bridge, and says she was not fully conscious. "She didn't look anxious, upset, nothing. She was just completely blank … she zig-zags along the pathway about three times before she reaches the point at which the sandstone wall reaches a ledge and she climbs up and over."

Police investigated Mairead's death and have referred her death to the NSW Coroner. Siobhan said one of the investigating officers told the family they did not believe it was suicide.

Z-class drugs - zolpidem, zopiclone and zaleplon - are all non-benzodiazepine hypnotics that are used as an alternative to drugs such as valium. They take effect faster but allow for a quicker recovery.

In its campaign against Stilnox, the Costigan family has created an online petition which has 2800 signatures to date, along with hundreds of other people's horror stories.

A report released late last year - based on calls to a national drug helpline - said there were 13 deaths, four attempted murders and 12 suicide attempts recorded by the hotline where "zolpidem was the suspected causal agent".

A bottle of Ambien, the US brand name for zolpidem, was reportedly among the prescription drugs found near Heath Ledger's body when he died last month.

Two weeks before Mairead died, she had lunch with Professor Gaita. After her death, he contacted her family to express his sorrow. Australia had lost a potentially important philosopher, he said.

While it campaigns, the family still grieves. "Recently I was in the supermarket and saw a mother with three young daughters and I just burst into tears," says Siobhan. "There's moments like that almost every day."

SMH

Given all the apparent problems with it, why on earth has it not been pulled from sale (even just for more testing?)

hm Im pretty close to calling bullshit on this story, in the sense that it was this evil dangerous drug zolpidem/zopiclone that apparently made her jump off the harbour bridge like her family is trying to make it out

firstly she must have had some problem to cause her insomnia initially, so she got prescribed some stilnox. Then I would say she kinda liked it whether that be the feeling of it or just for sleep and kept getting it. Noone can be taking a powerful sleeping pill for 8 months and not know they are addicted, and it says several doctors prescribed it for her so she was most likely doctor shopping to get it. Perhaps even individual doctors over prescribed it for her also.

She most likely had serious personal issues that she didnt tell her family about or her family arent talking about them. They then drove her to an addiction and became further messed up like any drug addiction. I mean stilnox wont cause weight loss like was mentioned, she must have done that. She must have had that much stilnox over that 8 month period that she knew its affects and they never reported if she had acted strangely on it before, if she hadn't then that is further evidence that it wouldnt all of a sudden make her go completely nuts and kill herself.

Other bad reports or incidence involving stilnox have been of the acute nature in terms of doing things while unconscious like sleep driving etc. IMO this case is different and could just as easily have been valium or something because it was a drug addiction scenario and the zolpidem/zopiclone was obviously abused over a long period and not used as medically intended so how the family can get hysterical and blame this evil drug stilnox is beyond me. And how the police can say its definately not a suicide when someone jumps off the harbour bridge unassisted is also beyond me.

This story is fucking crap. She wasn't on stilnox at the time so how the fuck can they blame poor Stillie?! :X :(

^yeh her family is going all out about the stilnox, while never mentioning any kind of addiction which they obviously are referring to because she was not under the influence of stilnox when she died anyway. They are on a misguided/misinformed crusade

Stilnox can cause sleep walking. But its usually got to do with alcohol. Yeah its stupid to blame stilnox if she wasn't on it, shows all Z-drugs have a problem of sleep walking in some places. There WAS a person to actually fall off a balcony though who was taking stilnox, and his friend is a bluelighter he will probably post on this thread.

stilnox should be used for short periods to get sleep back on track, not every night. even though a hell of a lot of psyche's and doc's take the stuff and they will say it is fine and agree temazepam is useless

I think you might mean me actually Splatt, unless there is someone else also had this happen. I didnt actually know the guy who died but my good friends knew him and his g/f.

All I know is that he had drunk a bit and had an e then had some stilnox which is always gonna be messy, then fell off his balcony in a North Sydney apartment. Very different to the above case cause this dude was obviously reckless with a mix of substances and just fell off, I dont think it was like he slept walked to the balcony and jumped. Either way sad stories for him and the girl on the bridge.

In all these cases it is abuse of stilnox that has caused the problems, as in taking it with alcohol and pills, or having an addiction to it over 8 months in the harbour bridge girl case. She probably was getting desperate and loaded up on heaps of stilnox pills (or zopiclone as the case was) perhaps to end it and then under a huge dose of it wandered to the bridge and fell off.

THATS WHAT HAPPENED MMKAAYY :) thats my theory nyway

personally for me stilnox doesnt do that much unless i have 15-20mg and drink a beer or two and some food just so I get to bed about 20 minutes later.

but alcohol with stilnox will definitely cause this stuff. I have been sleep-walked twice on the combo of benzos, alcohol and stilnox. Once there was a party behind me making a lot of noise, they kept waking me up a tiny bit, and even though I had nothing to do the next night and it was a weekend, I still kept having pissed off dreams about them. Then I wake up and i'm out the front of their house yelling abuse and profanities with a big butcher knife.. i remember a girl saying "hes got a knife" and everyone shutting up. I walked home thinking that is messed up and slept it off.

Another time, the same combo, a lot of alcohol and benzos, then had stilnox just before bed. I didn't exactly get to bed before sleeping, and I wasn't exactly sleeping, just in a tracey state, i see police lights through my eyes, and hear out the window a bunch of racial slurs and swearing. I walk outside to see 2 cop cars, and another one just arriving, and see two aboriginies on the ground with guns pointed at them, and them getting handcuffed. They lived at the house, i guess it was just a fight or domestic disturbance, but i walked down there, and yelled out to the cops stop arresting "aboriginies" and yelled some other stuff like fuck you pigs etc. then opened the drivers side of one of their patrol cars and had a gun pointed at my head and was told to fuck off..

really stupid things that i wouldnt of done without stilnox. my best friend also says i'm a complete dickhead on stilnox and alcohol and i do stupid reckless shit and act like a fool, and he can tell when i've had alcohol and even half a stilnox together.

stilnox never did much for me when taken on its own. however i used to love to take it after pills to eliminate the comedown and give me a nice weird little trip before passing out. it was all good until one day i woke up and was informed that id been in a car crash the previous day (with me as one of the drivers), when i dont even remember getting into a car...

Last edited:
i have had many bad experiences with stilnox. mostly i have been sleepwalking or semi awake (i can never remember the experiences) when i have done really stupid things. people have to tell me the next day what i was doing. after i realised it was the stilnox i swaped over to valium and temazepam and havent had any problems since

awsome knife story splatt! my storys are to embarrassing to tell and i have been in tears from finding out what i had done

jayslapmc said:
i have had many bad experiences with stilnox. mostly i have been sleepwalking or semi awake (i can never remember the experiences) when i have done really stupid things. people have to tell me the next day what i was doing. after i realised it was the stilnox i swaped over to valium and temazepam and havent had any problems since

awsome knife story splatt! my storys are to embarrassing to tell and i have been in tears from finding out what i had done

You know you HAVE to tell us now. For the sake of harm minimization of course. :D

Do people who have bad experiences with Stilnox ever consider not taking it again?

Nope, i think its a great sleep aid but i havent used it for ages.