• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Police vow big day out for drug dogs

There were one or two sniffer dogs at Olympic Park station yesterday and none inside the festival. There were also people smoking weed openly. Hell, on the way in there was a guy smoking a joint right next to me. I think alcohol was more of a problem than illicit drugs - I had to babysit two people who had too much to drink.

Detection Dogs cannot be inside an event. Only out the front of licensed venues, dance parties, concerts, sports matches.

phase_dancer said:
There were police dogs at the BDO in Qld. A Crowd Care Team Leader had to walk between them. I'm pretty sure she said they were stationed by the side gates prior to opening. However, it's also possible these dogs were something other than drug dogs.

Which gates are the side gates? I'm not really sure about all the entrances to the BDO in QLD. Usually I go through the one next to that long road, have never seen dogs there. This year I went through a different one, near the BDO parking, no dogs there either. Maybe my friend and I got lucky, we only arrived at about 11:40 or so. :)

^ My info was second hand. I wasn't there, but The Fish were so they may be able to better describe where this was. I was told the secondary gate (not the main) at the top of the hill.

splatt
Detection Dogs cannot be inside an event.
I'm not sure about that one, at least not here in melbourne. At ***** they had them inside and that event would have been smaller in terms of crowd size than the BDO. I wouldn't be surpised if they ended up patrolling inside this year, however I haven't seen it ever at any BDO's.

[EDIT: No event names not already named in the news. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this is Queensland law only then. I just assumed that it would include all states that allow sniffer dogs.

Police can go into events. From memory, though, they need to have a warrant from a judge to be able to do so because the normal powers granted to them by the provisions of the sniffer dog act dont allow them to go into every venue. Ive worked at outdoor dance parties in Sydney and the cops have come inside the venue with them.

melbourne bdo

i posted this in another thread but thought i may aswell post it here too...

I arrived at about 12:45 and didn't see any at the gates. Friends arrived in the next couple of hours and didn't see any either. I know they said their would be a sniffer dog presence at the gates, I guess they were there earlier when gates opened.

None inside like they said. Police were out in force tho but seamed pretty well behaved. Most seemed extremely friendly, most were just enjoying the music while walking about. No fights that I saw, and crowd seemed well behaved, alot of them very trashed.

was an extremely good day

From yesterday's Herald Sun

Victoria Police had a large presence at the event and acting inspector Anthony Walker said at 5pm that the day had gone smoothly.

"Behaviour has been quite orderly and we've been happy to see people acting safely and having fun," he said.

Police did not use drug dogs at this year's event but Insp Walker warned that drug and booze buses would test revellers who left in their cars.

A Big Day Out guide also explained what to do if caught carrying drugs.

Herald Sun

Well that explains not seeing any dogs! And all that trouble I went to in hiding my drugs in my back pack... The guy at the gates did the most piss poor effort of searching my bag, didn't even check my water bottle, just looked in the top of the main compartment and that was it.

On another positive there were only 3 arrest, all for drunken behaviour, and 2 people got kicked out of the grounds.
Would be interesting to know the reason behind the police not using the dogs...

Any dogs going to the Perth BDO. only seen a dog once inside the event i think, (well it was BDO and i was off chops)
anyone know anything bout sniffer dogs in perth.
Yeah i can't believe they go to all this effort to stop people have a joint or some mdma. the dogs can't sniff out GHB.. can they.. i mean people on durgs cause less trouble than the drunk yobos. so the police need to check themselfs and stop wasting there time and our tax dollars and go catch murders and rapists

Maybe last year an over dose was caused from someone eating all their drugs at once.

^Don't think so, not in melbourne at least - the dogs went home by 12pm last year because it was too hot for them. They probably did a cost benifit analysis and figured it wasn't worth it in such a big crowd. I bet they're running over budget because of the large number of fetivals melb has in the summer - most of which are electronic music festivals and are likely to have large numbers of drug takers at them...

Last edited:
Sniffer dogs would have to be the biggest waste of time the police have ever tried. There is no point taking them out of the airport because outside that environment they are to ineffective.
Housemate took drugs to BDO and didn't even have to sweat as the dogs just had no idea.

Just a note that anyone who wants to share their views/experiences with Ravesafe for their research project on sniffer dogs should go to:

http://snifferdogs.turningpoint.org.au

I was also surprised to hear of little police dog presence at BDO Melbourne. The news article made it seem like there was little drug taking at the event. Which may not be true, but as ilikeacid points out, it's not an electronic dance music event so they may have just assumed they would get less arrests per person for the trouble. Who knows!

Police said yesterday that there were no sniffer dogs used at the Melbourne BDO.

I think perhaps they realise that targeting users at events like this isn't doing anything to curb drug use in general and is having little effect on the supply of drugs. It really is one of the most pointless and ineffective police ideas ever.

I really dont think because it is predominantly a non electronic event has anything to do with the drug use tho. Drug use is wide spread amongst many people with varied musical tastes, although it is inextricably linked with electronic events where heavy use amongst patrons is common.

I think a rather larger number of Melbournes crowd had probably taken something illicit of some sort, and it showed in the behaviour of the crowd, not too many pissed maggots either...

rtb said:
I really dont think because it is predominantly a non electronic event has anything to do with the drug use tho. Drug use is wide spread amongst many people with varied musical tastes, although it is inextricably linked with electronic events where heavy use amongst patrons is common.

I totally agree with you, maybe 5-10 years ago you could of said that but now ecstasy use reaches across all spectrum's of society and is taken at any kind of music event/concert.

Pointless exercise in wasting money with these dogs, and they will continue to be.

History would suggest Victoria Police believe there are less drugs at non-electornic music events.

See this quote from Vic Police as an explanation why sniffer dogs weren't used at BDO in 2005.

But it is believed Victoria Police will not be concentrating on Melbourne's Big Day Out because they don't expect drug use to be as rampant as at dance or techno events.

Sniffer dogs missing on Big Day Out - 26 Jan 2005