• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Paramedics 'tampering with drugs'

bit_pattern

Ex-Bluelighter
Paramedics 'tampering with drugs'

Posted Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:47am AEDT
Updated Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:51am AEDT

(Getty Images: Cameron Spencer)

New South Wales paramedics say their colleagues have tampered with vials of an addictive painkiller, putting patients across the state at risk.

Police have launched an investigation into allegations several paramedics have been substituting the drug, fentanyl, with other fluids.

Ambulance officers first raised the concerns three months ago but the NSW Opposition's health spokeswoman, Jillain Skinner, says she has been told paramedics may have been abusing the drugs for up to 18 months.

"This is amazing that you can have an Ambulance Service and a Government that seems not to consider this a risk," she said.

"If the paramedics have known about it, they've been advising the Ambulance Service about it. Why hasn't action been taken before this?"

The Emergency Medical Services Protection Association has called on the NSW Ambulance Service to recall officers' kits and replace the painkiller vials.

"The type of vials they're using are not tamper proof so we want them to withdraw the vials they're using and bring out a tamper-proof vial," spokesman Grant Jennison said.

"Patients received possibly a contaminated drug and whether that's put them at risk is an unknown question.

"We need the ambulance service to withdraw these drugs and to also notify patients that may have received them."

The Ambulance Service is believed to be investigating the allegations.

ahahaha.

hahahahahaha.

oh my.

*opens up combat medical bag and tries to find a full vial of morphine or ketamine, fails*

no, just in general...low oversight with high access- lots of playing around

That is fucked up, how many people went through unneccessary pain because these paramedics couldn't live without a fix and stole medical supplies to get it.

Why would you risk your job and put innocent people at risk just for fentanyl? I mean if it was morphine or something sure, but fentanyl is barely even euphoric, if at all

eh, not my job, mostly cause no one really checks our inventory in the med bags, we just refill em before heading out.

^ VERY disturbing, imagine being one of the people in sever pain recieving bogus painkillers!

fentanyl was pretty euphoric for me, very floaty feeling but found that it didn't last as much as morphine did.

This is whack practice. And with how much ambos cost, its a right fucking joke thats what.

I can't stand hearing shit like this... sure i've prescribed myself oxycontin a few times - but at least i didnt fucking give other people bogus meds.

^ Yeah thats the difference, I wouldn't care if they were stealing the shit so long as theres more there for paitents, but replacing it with fucking saline is so wrong on so many levels.

Fuck off, stealing it is bad. The health system is already strained to the limit without cunts stealing. Just because their doing something far worse doesn't mean simply stealing the drugs is in anyway ok.

^ Never said stealing wasn't bad, just that I wouldn't really care or consider it newsworthy.

^yeaah.. lol for the record, I wasn't trying to say stealing it was ok either, just that it's waaay worse to put people in danger or contribute to suffering while doing it.

Last edited:
i dont care about stealing med supplies, my unit has a black/classified budget (meaning what it got used on is not open to the public) of over 150 million for around 250 men....we can buy more morphine.