Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS - Overdoses low at Melbourne dance party - 14/3/05

First off, shouldn't this be in ADD?

Second,
The police are trialing a new thing where the people dont get charged for possesion as long as they go to regular meetings with a psychologist, what difference would a psycologist do? i see a psycologist about once a month or two and i tell her about how i love to rave ocasionally and take a couple and she agree's with me about responsible drug use ect.. and belive that if you are smart with the substance it can be better than some legal drugs ect.... Police are doing more bad than good in this instance and its just not right.
It's not a psychologist they have to see in the Drug Diversion program, it's a drug counsellor. The point of these sessions is to explain the dangers involved with drugs and address any issues that could cause problem use. You need to be aware that under this program, a second drug conviction will land you in the shit. It's about offering people one chance to reconsider.

Third, drug users are not "innocent people". As a drug user you are a criminal, like it or not. It is the police's job to enforce the law, under pressure from the government and community at large. If you don't like what the police are doing, why don't you get involved with one of the harm reduction groups in Melbourne (there are a couple) and work towards change?

This is not a personal attack - I just get weary of people moaning about having to deal with the consequences of the actions they have chosen, in a society they choose to live in.

Supt Williams said event organisers had done everything possible to run things safely.

"The responsibility (for taking drugs) lies with the individual," he said.

Damn right it is, so why is it that Harm Minimisation isn't high on the priority list.

I read in an article that had they had the resources they could have "increased the arrests ten-fold". Now to me that doesn't seem like they're interested at all in harm minimisation.

Does anyone think there could be a direct correlation between the decreased presence of ODs to paramedics, and the increased police presence? What worries me is the possibility that ODs are still happening but people are scared to get their friends medical help for fear of retribution. Just a thought.

Idea...

The manufactures of the drugs should come and dump thier bi products all over the venues that pepole will be taking drugs eg this BDO, Good vibes, feild days...

Re: Two tribes police arrests

bikki_muncher69 said:
i think more appropriately they should at least confiscate the drugs and fair enough if someone is bringing in a trafficable amount they should be charged but innocent people just out to have a good time? its just so stupid.

I'm sorry, you must have missed the memo that drugs are illegal now!

If you wish to take drugs to an event where you know there will be a strong police precence you do so at your own risk. I don't like it any more than the next guy but its just the way it is.

I was at the event, and as we were in the line to get in... about 6 people from the gates... The dogs showed up... They sniffed out people immediately, but they we're delayed because it takes the police ages to search people.

I get really annoyed at how they handle these types of situations... I've read some political debates that just show how uneducated some people are on the matters. The police in this case were there more to show to the uneducated people with strong opinions agaisnt drugs that they were doing something... While the police half understand that it is something we are going to do...

In events like this, they need to make sure that people are aware they can get help and not get in trouble... I actually had no idea where any of the first aid/ambulances were around the event, they need to be more visible...

The low number of overdoses were because the people are getting smarter... There was so much drug use left right and center of everywhere I stood.

I like this comment from the top cop:

Superintendent Mick Williams said a large part of police time at the event was spent processing suspects.

Supt Williams said event organisers had done everything possible to run things safely.

If that is not a thinly veiled swipe at the negatives of a police state type approach to recreational drug consumption and an endorsement of the user as the number one individual who bears all responsibility I dont know what is.

Yay for the Superintendant - I think we know where his priorities probably lay, and its not standing there minding a dog whilst its nose is pushed up against the fluro yellow jumpsuit of some 20 year old uni student.

Biscuit said:
I like this comment from the top cop:

Superintendent Mick Williams said a large part of police time at the event was spent processing suspects.

If that is not a thinly veiled swipe at the negatives of a police state type approach to recreational drug consumption and an endorsement of the user as the number one individual who bears all responsibility I dont know what is.

Yay for the Superintendant - I think we know where his priorities probably lay, and its not standing there minding a dog whilst its nose is pushed up against the fluro yellow jumpsuit of some 20 year old uni student.

Spot on!