Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: NineMSN - 30/07/09 'Students spruik Ritalin as study booster'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew

Students spruik Ritalin as study booster
12:30 AEST Thu Jul 30 2009
By Jay Savage

School students using neuro-stimulants like Ritalin to boost their "brain power" are boasting online about how the drugs are letting them study longer and harder.

Experts say school and university students have created a "mythology" about the supposed benefits of using neuro-stimulants to cram for exams, with campuses rife with peers trading the drugs among each other.

And the medications most associated with childhood disorders have gained even more fame on student web forums — despite warnings from health experts about the dangers of using the drugs without a prescription.

First-year university student Liam Schoneveld urged peers on the "boredofstudies" forum to try Ritalin if they found caffeine was no longer keeping them awake.

"It allowed me to study for up to 10 hours a day without feeling drained … [or] stressed," he told ninemsn.

Another student on the forum replied : "Better yet, Aderall".

"Had a friend go on a 3 day Aderall binge to study for Uni midterms. Worked a blessing, butttt [sic] the come down was nasty," wrote sonyaleeisapixi, a 2008 Year 12 graduate.

Another wrote: "hahaha yeah … stressed and not able to work efficiently? Just relax and start working efficiently!!"

Mr Schoneveld, 18, said he was convinced taking Ritalin helped him achieve his strong Year 12 results after using the medication regularly in the lead-up to his exams.

The Sydney University student said he got the drug from a friend who had been prescribed it for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

But he admitted he had also experienced heart palpitations and difficulty sleeping and urinating.

His comments defy health warnings that drugs such as Ritalin — properly known as methylphenidate — carry a significant health risk when not used for medical purposes.

"In some people it can induce psychosis, or in rare cases people have died because of the strain [the drug places] on the heart," University of Adelaide psychiatrist Jon Jureidini told ninemsn.

Neuro-stimulants were first used on people recovering from traumatic brain injuries in the belief it would help them to focus, fight fatigue and better retain memory.

The drugs are now most commonly prescribed for children with disorders such as ADHD.

But scientists and educational experts are divided on whether the drugs would help a student cramming for an exam.

"It would help them spend long periods studying, whether it would actually help them is questionable," Dr Jureidini said.

Neuro-stimulants not only cause sleep deprivation but can adversely influence a person's perception of time and their ability to be self-critical, said University of NSW social sciences expert Nicolas Rasmussen, adding that this would not help a student in an exam situation.

He also said Ritalin had taken on a kind of "mythology" among school students, with studies finding it was common for peers to exchange the medication between each other.

"It produces confidence and extraversion, so the mood effect is the dominant factor," Dr Rasmussen said.

"But there are better ways to get confidence."

NineMSN

must be a slow news day, this seems to get rehashed every 6 months or so

Been a good, long time since I had Rit

but none of this is 'new' news, as mentioned above

as a current year 12 student doing VCE, i have discovered ritalin helps a LOT, it almost makes paying attention in class possible, and its great for LONG periods of study. I like the others in the article acquire the drug from a friend with ADHD.

best study drug ever.

I did good as in school when I was snorting ritalin in large(ish) quantities daily. I found it to be great for school because it made me more social at lunch time and when I had finished my work (which I did a lot quicker on ritalin) and it really helped make me buckle down and concentrate on my work.

Ritalin is a great study tool, they should shut the fuck up.

I believe this journalist was looking to recruit here but I guess he found enough quotes on other forums.

Obviously bluelighters are too smart for this asshole to be able to play the dodgy angle he wanted in his article. Fuck dodgy reporters, if he has visited bluelight he obviously has somewhat of a clue but would rather play on peoples misconceptions than report the truth.

I study IT and find Rit also very very good for study and also fun =)

I've been recently experiementing with Modafinil to work prolong hours without fatigue and loss of concentration (the only way to juggle three jobs). Has anyone else tried this?

I find that a 50mg dosage can give me an extra 7-10 hours of work without any fatigue and I sleep like a baby afterwards, and without feeling any form of 'high'.

here's an old article from the age
http://www.theage.com.au/news/general/a-real-eye-opener/2006/05/04/1146335866910.html

^Modafinil is definitely the better drug for study.

In Australia they charge you crazy money for a pack of modafinil. So it is much easier just to grab a Rit or Dex pills off your mate.

When it comes to analytical thinking, you cannot beat a good nights sleep and proper study. (Trust me, I have done every stim in the book whilst trying to study)

Stimulants make you jump to silly conclusions, and give you a false sense of well being. Anybody that thinks their decision making ability is better on stims need to have a reality check.

Taking drugs in the pursuit of knowledge is counter productive. (Talking about degrees here, not self awareness)

Taking drugs to do things you could never previously do on the dance floor however sounds like a great idea! PLUR :)

Please do a search, there are a lot of threads on modafinil including many user reports for work, study and so on.

...Stimulants make you jump to silly conclusions, and give you a false sense of well being. Anybody that thinks their decision making ability is better on stims need to have a reality check

haa haa! so true...ever gone clothes shopping on stims only to look at what you bought the next day and think "WTbejesusF!" =D