Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: ninemsn- 25/10/07 'Half a million Aussies on ecstasy'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
Half a million Aussies on ecstasy: study
Thursday Oct 25 09:21
By ninemsn staff

Ecstasy has become the second most popular illicit drug of choice for Australians over the last ten years, according to a leading researcher.

Greg Fowler from the Queensland Alcohol and Drug Research and Education Centre has told industry peers the drug is more endemic than previously thought.

Mr Fowler's study, which was reported on abc.net.au, estimated that there were over 500,000 ecstasy users in Australia.

"Ecstasy is popular partly because it can be consumed in a tablet form," he said.

"It's perceived by consumers for that reason as perhaps having less risk than injecting drug use."

Mr Fowler hopes his findings will be able to assist police in cracking down on the drug, which has increasingly been used to bankroll the shady dealings of major players in the underworld.

Ecstasy tablets cost only about 25 cents to produce overseas and are sold on for a massive profit boon when they reach Australian shores.

Mr Fowler says a tablet will fetch up to $35 on the current market.

"Demand in Australia is supporting a price at that level and organised criminal groups are reaping substantial rewards and that creates an ongoing incentive," Mr Fowler said.

"So we need to look at some of the strategies policing can actually use to look at the various choke point on the supply chain."

The current market demand for the drug is second only to cannabis and far exceeds its oft-feted rival, cocaine.

"The cocaine market in Australia is substantially smaller than the ecstasy market but there is indications that the cocaine market may be growing," Mr Fowler said.

Last week three primary school children were rushed to hospital on the NSW south coast after ingesting ecstasy tablets they believed to be lollies.

The incident provoked outrage from police and community leaders who expressed shock over the drug's ready availability.

ninemsn.com.au

There are some pretty outdated facts in there.
I think theres more home-pressed pills than imported ones these days, and no one except people in perth pay $35 anymore.

The quality has gone down a lot so has the price, imported tablets would probably cost more to get over here (the good ones anyway) and the profit gone up because of the risk of importing, since Australian Customs are pretty good at detecting. It seems cheaper for a producer to throw 40-50mg crappy mdma in a pill with some cheap speed, and whatever else they feel like putting in it than to risk large scale importations. If anything they're importing MDMA powder or crystal, most likely in solutions.

Quite so

The predominance of sourcing illicit drugs from known dealers or persons is also demonstrated in discussion threads taken from the chat room forum on the Bluelight website.3 The discussion included in Appendix D opens with a user requesting advice about purchasing amphetamine from an unknown source. The comments made in response to this opening thread illustrate the code of practice that stipulates buying from trusted dealers and are equally relevant to the purchase of ecstasy. Such discussion threads, though at times chaotic, provide very useful insights into the diverse levels of knowledge, attitudes, and the drug use and manufacturing experience of regular ecstasy consumers. Just as serious attention to the Internet is given by law enforcement and intelligence agencies on terrorist activities, as Schneider (2003) states, it is likely to be the next logical step for intelligence in controlling synthetic drug production and distribution.

What do people here think about text from this forum being quoted in research papers?

I note that in the appendix, text from a thread is quoted in full. If the site hadn't changed over from NU to RU, the link would have worked and although users names weren't mentioned in the report, they would be completely accessible via the link.

The only difference between alcohol and ecstasy? A few rich old men decided that ecstasy was bad!! But so many people take it how could it be bad? The war on drugs is a war on the people!

Just joking, there is another difference between alcohol and ecstasy and that is that ecstasy is so much better!!!!

^^ I enjoy drinking weekly, I don't enjoy taking MDMA weekly. Each has its place.

Tronica said:
What do people here think about text from this forum being quoted in research papers?

I note that in the appendix, text from a thread is quoted in full. If the site hadn't changed over from NU to RU, the link would have worked and although users names weren't mentioned in the report, they would be completely accessible via the link.

I think that's just the price you pay for making posts in a public forum, and should serve as a warning as to why one should always think before posting when it comes to illicit substances.

As CF has touched on, it's just one of the risks associated with posting under a pseudonym on a public forum. It may not be the desired outcome, but if posts are put out there for public viewing, it has to be expected.

It's also a good reminder that we ARE being watched by a variety of groups and we should ensure due diligence when posting.

This report didn't really take a negative approach to Bluelight, it just used it as another source of information about how people approach the issue of dealing and of the content of 'ecstasy' tablets.

In fact, the example in the Appendix showed people generally giving 'harm reduction' advice to someone asking about whether they should buy drugs from an unknown source.

So, it could be considered a good thing - depending on the way you look at it.

It's definitely a reminder of the public nature of the board, and about the broad audience who are likely to be reading!

Yeah- I'm watching you Tronica, you subversive member of the Drug Industry Elite, you...

Ecstasy tablets cost only about 25 cents to produce overseas and are sold on for a massive profit boon when they reach Australian shores.

Now that's the part that really pisses me off :|

Time to move to Europe for some pills at 3 euro a pop imo.

I havent had a chance to read the report - how are they defining ecstacy 'users'? Once a week users - or once a month or once a year? because i would of thought that number would be significantly higher if you include all those that take it maybe once or twice a year

tapout said:
I havent had a chance to read the report - how are they defining ecstacy 'users'? Once a week users - or once a month or once a year? because i would of thought that number would be significantly higher if you include all those that take it maybe once or twice a year

It's not entirely clear where the 'half a million' number comes from. It could be from here:

In the Australian ecstasy market an estimated 450,000 people had used ecstasy within the last 12 months, based on 2001 data. It is estimated that at least 5,200,000 ecstasy tablets are consumed annually in Australia. The overall retail value of this consumption in the Australian ecstasy market is estimated at $182 million per year. As total ecstasy seizures in Australia cannot be quantified, a total market size estimate is difficult. Our best estimate for 2001 is a total market size of 7.8 million tablets (or 2,282 kg) annually with a retail value of $275.5 million.
(p. xvii)

or here

The United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime (UNODC) reports that Australia has some of the highest levels of ecstasy use in the world. The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) estimates that approximately 1.2 million Australians aged 14 years or over had tried ecstasy and over 550,000 people had used ecstasy within the last 12 months in 2004.

These are not new numbers (both from household reports). To answer your question, this number is the estimate of the number of Australians who have used ecstasy in the past 12 months.

Just like to note that this is a high quality project - it really adds something new to this area of research. Looking forward to reading over it in more detail!

drplatypus said:
Yeah- I'm watching you Tronica, you subversive member of the Drug Industry Elite, you...

Yup, that's me ;) :p

I just wish they'd hurry up with my $500,000 bonus package! 8)

This is featuring on the front of News.com.au today.

Ecstasy spreads from clubs to homes
By Kevin Meade
October 26, 2007 06:53am

MORE than a million Australians have tried ecstasy and the so-called party drug has become the nation's second most popular illegal drug after marijuana, a federally funded study has found.

In a report released at a national drugs conference on the Gold Coast, University of Queensland senior researcher Greg Fowler said about 1.2million Australians aged 14 and over had tried ecstasy.

According to the latest available statistics, more than 550,000 people used ecstasy in 2004.

Recent studies have estimated that more than five million Australians have tried marijuana.

The ecstasy study, funded under the federal Government's National Drugs Strategy, found regular use of the drug had increased drastically in the past 15 years. The proportion of Australians who have tried ecstasy had risen from 3.1 per cent in 1993 to 7.5 per cent in 2004.

Mr Fowler said the use of ecstasy had moved beyond nightclubs and the rave party scene to private venues.

"The way that people are using ecstasy has changed," Mr Fowler told The Australian.

Couples, he said, were increasingly using the drug to enhance their sex lives.

The study found ecstasy consumers tended to be young, white, well-educated and middle class. They were less likely to be involved in criminal activity or to contact the drug treatment system than users of other illicit drugs.

However, they were more likely to be involved in crime than the general population.

Mr Fowler and his research team conducted in-depth interviews with ecstasy consumers, suppliers, police and health officers. Key benefits of the drug identified by consumers included enhanced closeness, bonding and empathy, enhanced communication, talkativeness and sociability and enhanced mood.

Risks reported by users included depression, dependence on the drug and damage to brain functioning.

The UN Office on Drugs and Crime has estimated that 7098kg of ecstasy was seized by law enforcement officers worldwide in 2002, of which 722kg - about 10 per cent - was seized in Australia.

"Based on these data, Australia is believed to be one of the highest per capita ecstasy consuming countries in the world," the report said.

The report added the data needed to be treated with caution as reporting requirements varied considerably around the world.

The Australian

Half a million Aussies on ecstasy: study
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:08am AEST

A Queensland researcher says ecstasy has become the second most popular illicit drug after cannabis over the past decade.

Greg Fowler from the Queensland Alcohol and Drug Research and Education Centre has outlined new research at a national conference on the Gold Coast in south-east Queensland.

Mr Fowler says more than 500,000 Australians use ecstasy each year.

"Ecstasy is popular partly because it can be consumed in a tablet form," he said. "It's perceived by consumers for that reason as perhaps having less risk than injecting drug use.

"The cocaine market in Australia is substantially smaller than the ecstasy market but there is indications that the cocaine market may be growing."

The research is aimed at providing extra intelligence for police to fight the problem, with Mr Fowler saying ecstasy is adding significant profits to the coffers of organised crime.

Mr Fowler says most ecstasy is imported and a tablet which costs around 25 cents to produce, can be sold for between $30 and $35 in Australia.

"Demand in Australia is supporting a price at that level and organised criminal groups are reaping substantial rewards and that creates an ongoing incentive," he said.

"So we need to look at some of the strategies policing can actually use to look at the various choke points on the supply chain."

ABC News

Queensland drug figures misleading, says academic
By Daniel Pace
October 26, 2007 12:06pm

BACKYARD drug labs, rather than large-scale organised crime, are responsible for a spike in drug arrests in Queensland, an academic says.

University of Queensland senior researcher Greg Fowler conceded the Sunshine State had the highest number of illegal amphetamine laboratories and drug-related arrests in the country.

But Mr Fowler said the figures were misleading.

"The reason that the number of clandestine labs is higher in Queensland is because there's lots and lots of small operations, mum and dad operations, just making a cupful at a time," Mr Fowler said.

"In other states they don't have as many labs but they have much, much larger labs and the output is substantially different.

"It distorts your view. You'd think it's a big problem in Queensland but that's not necessarily the case based upon the data."

At an anti-drug conference on the Gold Coast this week, Police Minister Judy Spence admitted Queensland had a "serious" drug problem and that State Government-backed events such as Indy and schoolies attracted drug dealers.

Mr Fowler said Queensland's drug-related arrests were higher than other states because first-time offenders caught with cannabis in Queensland were required to attend a mandatory education session.

"Those particular conversion offenders are being lumped together with drug traffickers, so the figures don't necessarily mean that Queensland has a bigger problem than anywhere else."

A federally-funded study shows about 1.2 million Australians aged 14 and over had tried ecstasy, which has become the nation's second most popular illegal drug after marijuana.

According to the latest available statistics, more than 550,000 people used ecstasy in 2004.

"They see the use of this drug to be in the context of a range of social activities, not just raves or nightclubs," Mr Fowler said.

"They believe they will experience positive effects in terms of stimulation, enhanced empathy, some perceptual distortions."

But there are risks involved, including depression and damage to brain function, although Mr Fowler said the so-called "party drug" affected people in different ways.

"There have been cases where some people have had a real adverse effect and that's led them to an emergency ward but that's the risk," he said.

"You don't know what's in the tablet and even if you did, you don't know how you're going to respond as an individual.

"It's certainly not a safe drug."

The study found the proportion of Australians who have tried ecstasy had more than doubled from 3.1 per cent in 1993 to 7.5 per cent in 2004.

News.com.au

However, they were more likely to be involved in crime than the general population.
Hmm... Funny that, considering purchasing and consuming ecstasy is an illegal crime itself... :p

Yeah I always say Ive been involved in crime in surveys because im buying the drug, possibly selling or giving a couple to friends etc... and thats illegal... doesn't mean I rob old grannies for their dole check. I target the kids these days, they're so much smaller and they get a lot more pocket money than I did in my day.