Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 6/01/2006 'Drug user jailed over plane delay'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Drug user jailed over plane delay
By Leanne Edmistone
January 06, 2006

A DRUG-affected man who forced a Virgin Blue flight to be aborted just before take-off and was later found with a large amount of veterinary anaesthetic was yesterday jailed for 12 months.

Brisbane Supreme Court yesterday heard Matthew Thomas Tonkin, 26, had flown to Queensland from South Australia the day before to buy ketamine, a horse tranquiliser also used by people in the dance scene.

The court was told Tonkin had taken "a couple of bumps" – or snorted – some of the drug at Brisbane Airport shortly before boarding the January 14, 2005, flight – which was aborted soon after it started taxiing along the runway.

"The staff turned the plane back toward the airport because they were concerned about the state of (Tonkin's) health," Crown prosecutor Ken Spinaze told the court yesterday.

Mr Spinaze said a search by Australian Federal Police and Queensland Police officers discovered 139g of white powder – later found to contain ketamine – in the backpack Tonkin had been carrying on board.

Tonkin, 26, a computer expert, pleaded guilty to one count of possessing a dangerous drug.

The court heard Tonkin had travelled to Queensland to buy the drug, telling police it was hard to obtain in South Australia and he believe it was not illegal to purchase it in Brisbane or the state generally, particularly if you had a veterinarian licence.

Tonkin purchased the drugs for $1000 from a man on the Gold Coast but did not disclose the person's identity.

A medical report tendered to the court by the Crown stated ketamine was usually used by vets to drug horses but was also ingested by people to obtain a "high" which generally lasted an hour but could last up to six hours.

The court was told the drug – though not used as commonly as amphetamines – produced a disassociative state which ranged from rapture to paranoia to boredom, and could also trigger an out-of-body or near-death experience. In high doses it could also induce a coma or be fatal.

Defence barrister Guy Andrew said Tonkin had been introduced to drugs about five years ago through the dance-rave scene, and started using ketamine regularly about 18 months ago. The powder he bought was only intended for the personal use of himself and his friends.

He said Tonkin had applied to attend university to study physics or mechatronics as a mature age student, had applied to join the Australian Army Reserves and was working full-time.

Justice George Fryberg said Tonkin's willingness to supply his friends with dangerous drugs showed he had no social conscious or compunction about endangering their health.

He sentenced Tonkin to 12 months' jail, wholly suspended for a period of four years.

News.com.au / Courier-Mail

he must of been in one hell of a K-hole for people to notice. I wonder how he got onto the plane in the first place.......

Show me this Ketamine that lasts 6 hours, and I'll believe the media just once.

Yeah... Shit, you'd be lucky to get a few vials for that atm in melbourne.

I somehow doubt that it only cost him a grand.

I've had some ketamine last hours and hours, and nitrous still gave the K+N2O NDE's after around 4 hours of having it. The peak is always like 15-30 min or so though.. but somewtimes visuals, thought loops and mindstate from the trip can stay for a while, especially if you don't sleep afterwards.

hahahaha, its a small world, i went to school with that Matty, when he gets out i must catch up and get in touch with his mates who can get K at that price. "He always seemed so quiet"

WHat dose suspended sentace mean, is it like after 4 years he will have to go to jail or is it if he dose anything bad in 4 years he goes straight to jail?

It's like a good behaviour bond.

If he stays out of trouble for four years he will not have to serve his time. However, If he does re-offend he will have to serve the 12 month sentence and you would assume that a judge would tack on more depending on the severity of the new offence.

Hope that answers your question

Yeah, the headline was a bit of a lie. Doesnt the word "jailed" mean he was sent to jail? Not sent home with the threat of jail if he fucks up.

Fucking media.

And fuck him for getting 139g of ketamine.

fkingweatherfs6vj.jpg

Jimity said:
And fuck him for getting 139g of ketamine.

More to the point, Fuck Him for getting 139g for $1000.

Now where is my phonebook........ Tonkin, M :) TIC

What a lawyer by the way, having his client admit in court that it was als intended for supplying others...8)