Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: news.com.au - 26/02/2009 'Doubts over amphetamine, violence link'

expothead

Bluelighter
AMPHETAMINE use may not increase the risk of violence, according to new research released by the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research.

In a study of 99,262 offenders aged 15 or older, the bureau found that offenders with a prior amphetamine-related conviction were no more likely to commit a violent offence than those with no prior drugs charges.

Only 1.7 per cent, or 1660 of those convicted of one or more offences in 2005, had been charged with an amphetamine-related offence in the preceding five years, the bureau found.

Despite casting doubt on the assumed link between amphetamines and violence, bureau director Don Weatherburn played down the findings.

"Our measure of amphetamine use tells us nothing about the frequency of such use or the average quantities being consumed by an amphetamine user," he said.

"Further research is needed looking at the relationship between these factors and violence before we have a clear picture of how amphetamine use affects the risk of involvement in violence."

However, those with a prior non-amphetamine drug charge were more likely to be charged with a violent act, the study found.

"The main drug-related finding was that convicted offenders with a prior non-amphetamine drug charge had moderately greater odds of having a future violent charge than those with no prior drug charges," the report said.

But those most likely to commit a violent offence were those who had committed six or more offences of a non-violent, non-drug nature.

They had a 4.5 times higher chance of being charged with a violent act, the report found.

"The strongest predictor of a future violent charge was having a greater number of charges relating to non-violent/non-drug offences," the report said.

"The odds of having a future charge for a violent offence were over four times greater for a convicted offender with six or more prior non-violent/non-drug charges than an offender with no prior non-violent/non drug charges."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25109457-29277,00.html

So hopefully now the stereotypical tweaker won't be portrayed as violent in the movies? I guess?

Pfft im the most relaxed person on amp lol Its funny how people react differently on things. Im also a happy drunk i dont understand why people cause trouble while there drunk. Guess alot of people cant handle things well. They shouldnt do it in my oppinion.

Maybe people with prior drug convictions are more likely to be involved in violence due to general frustration and anger towards a society that has allowed them to be persecuted in such a way? Maybe out of anger of the difficulty getting a decent job after such convictions? Maybe out of being forced into crime because they can't get a decent job?
Ignorant fuckers! Will throw ther fabricated facts and studies in your face till you cant fucking breathe but as soon as one comes along dispelling their myths it is instantly dismissed. Makes me so angry!

Pfft im the most relaxed person on amp lol Its funny how people react differently on things. Im also a happy drunk i dont understand why people cause trouble while there drunk. Guess alot of people cant handle things well. They shouldnt do it in my oppinion.

I totallty agree with you. When Im on speed I become very placid and good natured. I just like to enjoy the ride.

Its all about what you bring with you, whatever your poison. The bit that I dont understand is all the dude you see who get full of rum or bourbon and get into fights, and willingly and knowingly do the same damn thing every single weekend.....!?!

If youre full of frustration and anger and hate, and these things come out every time you get on whatever it is you use, then isnt it time to try to find the source of that anger??

Sorry if thats a little off topic, but its something i think every time i read about alcohol or drug related violence.. and I've been hospitality for 20+ years, so I've seen a lot!

PS I'm aware that there are other factors involved in a lot of cases.. I'm just making a general point...

Because alot of people enjoy getting into fights. They pick fight because thats what they like to do. Go out, get drunk, scrap and go home. Alot of my friends are like this, ever since high school they have done this and knowingly so. They make up excuses and say false storys to start fights and make it seem like they wern't acting out of line. Alot of people have commented on me because im the total reverse of my friends. I never ever fight, no matter how drunk I get the last thing I want to do is fight, im very very layed back and nothing botheres me.

Anyway thats why people drink and fight. Alot of them love it.

Fucking cunts them people :p im rather happy that now most of my friends are older, in there early 20's they have more to lose so they don't want to fight anymore. Back in high school they didn't care. The worst that could happen would be they loose the fight...thats it!

Because alot of people enjoy getting into fights. They pick fight because thats what they like to do. Go out, get drunk, scrap and go home. Alot of my friends are like this, ever since high school they have done this and knowingly so. They make up excuses and say false storys to start fights and make it seem like they wern't acting out of line. Alot of people have commented on me because im the total reverse of my friends. I never ever fight, no matter how drunk I get the last thing I want to do is fight, im very very layed back and nothing botheres me.

Anyway thats why people drink and fight. Alot of them love it.

Fucking cunts them people :p im rather happy that now most of my friends are older, in there early 20's they have more to lose so they don't want to fight anymore. Back in high school they didn't care. The worst that could happen would be they loose the fight...thats it!

This is very true. It's more prevelant with state high school leavers then with private high school leavers, because from my experience state school people love to form a group and beat the shit out of someone :) Although people do still fight on pills (mostly due to being on shitty pills and you're pissed off) it isn't nearly as bad as motherfuckers who get drunk and stumble round in groups to start shit. The worst offenders are Fobs and Kiwi Maoris who aren't hard in New Zealand so they moved over here. I don't like fighting either, but alot of my male friends love to fucking fight it's ridiculous, and it creates attention from Police and ruins peoples nights :(

Back on topic of meth and violence, the two go hand in hand for someone who is prone to violence prior to an addiction to meth. Here in Brisbane, the typical appearance of a pretty heavy meth addict is intimidating, the skinny body, gaunt face, blistered lips...Meth truly destroys a person and it does suck I admit.

My generation is probably the worst yet to come. One on one fights are nearly non-existant and noone fights their own fights anymore. its a fucking group mentality, gangsta rap and too much alcohol on friday/saturday nights.

And amph relaxes me, it puts me on the straight path, it doesn't make me wanna go out and fuck shit up, it makes me into a relaxed, do gooder of a person.

Its all about what you bring with you, whatever your poison. The bit that I dont understand is all the dude you see who get full of rum or bourbon and get into fights, and willingly and knowingly do the same damn thing every single weekend.....!?!

If youre full of frustration and anger and hate, and these things come out every time you get on whatever it is you use, then isnt it time to try to find the source of that anger??

Sorry if thats a little off topic, but its something i think every time i read about alcohol or drug related violence.. and I've been hospitality for 20+ years, so I've seen a lot!

PS I'm aware that there are other factors involved in a lot of cases.. I'm just making a general point...

dude, i agree with you 100%.
and i've been out in the past, on 4 days without sleep. sharded as fuck, i'd gone through a couple of grams of shard, along with a handful of meth based pills, some dickhead tries to start a fight with me. this is just outside of crown while im waitin for a taxi.
all cos i'm wearing my full reflective phats, and he's a drunken fuckwit.

despite the fact i'm 4 times the size of this guy, and despite the fact i have a group of mates with me, (all of us sharded) and i could probably quite easily left this prick in a bleeding mess at the taxi ramp.
i didn't do it. and my mates didnt go for it either.

regardless of the substance abuse / sleep deprivation.

it comes completely down to the person, i've seen people on md who turn violent, and even try to start shit with their "good" friends. just cos they enjoy getting into fights.

me on the other hand, i don't. i wanna be all happy and euphoric. and sharded.

No, that's not exactly true. I was normal and healthy before benzodiazepines. Afterwards, I'm the polar opposite. Physical dependency and mental addiction are two completely separate things. If you have ever been physically dependent, you'd think differently. I used to think that it's the person, not the drugs. This is true for mentally addictive drugs, not physically dependent drugs like benzos, GHB, alcohol etc.