• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 22/08/2005 'Aussie model in Bali drug bust'

I think she definitely planned to take the E and is a drug user but I don't for a second believe that testimony is true that she is an "addict". Either they made her sign a bogus transcript or she was advised to pose as an addict for a lighter sentence (apparently they give out lighter sentences to people carrying small amounts who are 'addicted' to the substances - a bloke got off recently with 5 months jail for a similar crime).

I didn't mean to make a blanket statement that 'indonesia' was responsible. I know only a few men did the dirty.

I guess the point I am trying to make is since the bombings, Australians have onlyrecently been persecuted for drug taking activities that were probably happening the whole time before. Why this post-terror crackdown on drugs, of all things? Especially on foreigners who presumably provide a lot of income to the locals via their tourist spending.

It just doesn't make sense to me. What is the motivation? What are they (the indonesian policing body/ government) trying to protect by busting tourist drug-takers?

^^^ It's the media that feeds us more and more "Aussie in Drug Trouble in Bali" stories as opposed to the Indonesians being more strict on Australians in Indo.

I think there was an article posted about this topic. Not 100% sure though.

100% in agreement Strawberry_lovemuffin :)

IXinX, although I can't say this with absolute certainty, it seems to me as though it's just since the bombings that the Australian mainstream media has taken an interest in Indonesia. I recall reading about an execution in the 80s or 90s (can't remember which) of two Australians caught with heroin in Indonesia.

The terrorist that did it is gonna serve a few years. How many years are our countrymen/women gonna do? if they don't end up getting shot
This isnt true, several of those involved were sentenced to death or given life sentences, remember Amrozi?? that grinning idiot was on the news for weeks.

Abu bakar bashir was only charged with conspiracy or something and was given a lesser 3 year sentence, he wasnt charged with the bombings although he was suspected of it if I remember correctly.
link

And do you really think there has been a crackdown on Australians in Indonesia? I think that's rubbish, it's only because it's been in the media so much lately. And I would hardly call catching people taht are trying to smuggle drugs, and finding 2 pills on another, "cracking down on us'. I'm sure there are many more people of other races in the same situation but we don't hear about it.

Oceanboy said:
I will die for her if that is what is needed to be taken.

8(

play it up.

I feel really sorry for this girl. Dumb of her not to take precautions and ditch the gear at the first hint of trouble.

It always shocks me at hearing about things like this... after spending a NYE in Thailand a couple of years ago the amount of drugs sold by locals and used by foreigners without ANY attempt at subtlety was mind blowing.

Considering paying off a cop for a JOINT costs somewhere in the vicinity of $2k you would think people would be a hell of a lot more careful.

brendanwor said:
100% in agreement Strawberry_lovemuffin :)

.... I recall reading about an execution in the 80s or 90s (can't remember which) of two Australians caught with heroin in Indonesia.

do you mean Barlow and Chambers? That waqs Thailand...and they were hanged I think...
:(

^ You guys are talking about Kevin Barlow and Geoffrey Chambers. Well done, I was going to bring up these two Australians who where hanged in Pudu Prison Malaysia on the 7th July 1987, but thought it would sail well above everyone due to the amount of time past, but the more I think about it, the more it seems relevant and thr more the stench of politcal corruption stings my nose. At the time Dr Mahatir Mohammed (do a search on google and learn - especially about his ultimate fate ten years later) used these two Australians as pawns to teach the western world a lesson about SE Asia's stance on Narcotics. For those of you who dont recall; well, they paraded the bodies before the media, we all got a good look at what an Australian man looks like after he had the hangmans noose taken from his neck. i remember - the image sticks with me to this day!

You guys all want to learn some history about Australian citizens and our interactions with the drug laws in SE Asia should check out this. But I am sure anyone over the age of 29 knows the image.

Read that, learn about those that came before Schapelle Corby, then go and help yourself to some information about our new friend President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, he is a former army general of the Indonesian Army - the same that refused to acknowledge Megawati Sukarnoputri as the leader during her time in office, and if you think he and Mahatir are not on the same wave length, you need to think again.

:(

Any system that would impose a jail sentence of fifteen years for possessing ecstasy is probably also stupid enough to assume someone can be "addicted" to it too. I hope Leslie does use that defence and earns herself a considerably lighter sentence for it.

An article with some insight into drug use in general throughout Indonesia. Some surprising facts.

Indonesia lowers boom on Bali highs
By Mark Forbes
Indonesia Correspondent, Jakarta
August 27, 2005

27n_bali_wideweb__430x288.jpg

THE Bali party crowd migrates north, from the jammed Kuta beach pubs to more upmarket bars of Seminyak, then to the rave dens such as Club 66, a vacant lot before 2am, a pulsating crush soon after.

They dance to the throb of house music before spilling on to the wide sand of Legian beach in the morning sunshine.

It is clubbing season on the island, crammed with holidaying Europeans mingling with wealthy locals, many of whom fly from Jakarta for a couple of decadent nights, and young Australian tourists.

The nightspots are the target of an anti-drugs crackdown that has resulted in more than 250 arrests this year of locals and foreigners alike. A new, fiercely anti-drugs national police chief is backing raids on the top-end clubs of Bali and Jakarta, to applause from politicians, howls from the entertainment industry and disbelief from a public aware that many police get a cut of the action.

The senior commissioner of the National Narcotics Agency, Indradi Tanos, who is

co-ordinating the crackdown, describes drug abuse as a tornado sweeping Indonesia.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

Arrests of local celebrities and Australians such as Michelle Leslie were positive, he said. They sent an anti-drugs message "to the next generation, not only in Australia, but in Indonesia".

Despite the arrests, drugs remain easily available on an island that has always catered to a tourist's every whim.

On a late-night stroll this week past Club 66 — where Sydney model Leslie has now confessed to obtaining the ecstasy that could see her jailed for years — The Age had offers from several young men perched on motorbikes.

"What you want mister, ecstasy, just 150,000 rupiah ($20)?" asked Max, lifting his shirt to show he was not armed. "Look, no police, no police."

Long-time Bali partygoers, such as Australian Shelly, 24, warn that many dealers are undercover officers. She has not been out for a month, after a night of dancing was interrupted by 20 police searching all head to toe.

"It freaked people out, they were running to the toilets to get rid of what they had," she said. "We go out for a good time, not to have the cops shutting the music off for an hour. They should be locking up the people selling it to us, rather than getting us in the clubs."

The raids had put a dampener on the scene, said Shelly. "It definitely puts people off. You are looking for undercover cops. It's not as relaxed as it used to be. That model's arrest is just adding fuel to the fire after the nine Australians and the Schapelle thing."

Others shrug, palming ecstasy pills in return for cash in the dark of the Dju bar down the road from Club 66.

Bali police drug squad chief Bambang Sugiarto says he will do whatever it takes to stamp out the trade, but he denies targeting Australians in the wake of the Schapelle Corby and Bali nine cases. Many other nationalities, and even more locals, were being jailed, with drug arrests nearly quadrupling in the past two years, he said.

"The number of Australian tourists here rank second only to Japan. There are more people and the chance of breaking the law is bigger," Colonel Sugiarto said.

He has had enthusiastic backing from Indonesian police chief Sutanto, a former National Narcotics Agency head, who visited Colonel Sugiarto and his men in Bali this week, welcoming the publicity generated by the Leslie case.

"We can detect whoever comes to Bali so Bali becomes a safe place," General Sutanto said. "We won't let Bali be used by both local and foreign drug users."

Most Australian tourists in Bali agree with Prime Minister John Howard's assessment that taking drugs in Asia was unbelievably dumb.

"I just think, how stupid are you? I don't know how anyone would want to risk something like that after Schapelle," said Kylie Rando. She has been too "buggered" from shopping to do much late-night clubbing but, "I would never go out alone, and always keep my bag close by."

On Thursday night Australian ambassador David Ritchie issued an unusual email warning to Australian travellers and residents.

"While the campaign is not targeting Australians, the crackdown has resulted in Australians being detained and arrested on suspicion of drug-related offences, including for possession of small quantities of recreational drugs," he said.

"I am writing to all Australians registered in Indonesia to urge you not to take chances: purchasing, carrying or taking any drugs into Indonesia is simply not worth the risk. Australians do get caught and the strict penalties in place, which include the death penalty, do apply to foreigners."

In Jakarta, the raids have been even tougher. Nightclub patrons have been forced to take urine tests. Celebrities and actors are among those netted in the 140 positive results.

The Association of Indonesian Entertainment Centre Owners has complained that 40,000 workers have been laid off because the threat of urine tests has scared away customers.

A psychiatrist and adviser to the National Narcotics Agency, Dadang Hawari, believes the crackdown may be too late.

Many young Indonesians smoke marijuana, "while most young executives use ecstasy because the pills are considered more stylish as it is popular among celebrities", he said.

Corrupt police were part of the problem, Professor Hawari said. "It is like the evil circle. It is a complicated social problem. The low-ranking officers who are in the front line of anti-drugs campaign earn only relatively low income, they try and increase it by selling drugs."

Colonel Sugiarto agreed that he was investigating colleagues for "direct or indirect involvement in drug trafficking".

With ecstasy production becoming entrenched in Indonesia, Commissioner Tanos said the Australian Federal Police were supporting the crackdown.

Earlier this year a drug factory an hour from Jakarta, disguised as an Islamic school, was raided. It was producing more than 250,000 ecstasy pills a day. "We have dismantled one international syndicate, but it proved Indonesia is becoming a production country," Commissioner Tanos said.

The Bali nine heroin bust was the tip of the iceberg of drug exportation into Australia, he said. "Australian police are also aware of the trend, so they are trying to use Indonesia as the front line to control it."

Many clubgoers and club owners in Bali believe the raids are like previous operations, to be waited out before business on all sides returns to normal.

But they may be mistaken, given the impetus from Indonesia's new President, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

The former general talks of an "all-out war" on drugs and a zero-tolerance policy.

Arriving in Indonesia two months ago I, along with several million other mobile phone users, received a personal SMS from the President.

"Stop drug abuse and drug-related crimes right now," it read. "Let us preserve and build a healthy, smart and progressive nation."

From Saturday Age

Drug accused's lawyer resigns
By Mark Forbes
August 27, 2005

MICHELLE Leslie's Indonesian lawyer resigned yesterday, amid controversy over her admissions to police.

Muhammad Rifan, who countersigned Leslie's record of interview admitting she used ecstasy and planned to take one of the two tablets, refused to give further details behind his resignation.

He said only that "the target given by Michelle and her family is not possible for my office to guarantee".

A spokesman for the Leslie family last night said Mr Rifan had been sacked, but declined to respond to Mr Rifan's comments.

It is rumoured Leslie's family were upset that the statement said she was addicted to ecstasy. Mr Rifan will be replaced by a Jakarta lawyer.

Police are still awaiting the results of laboratory tests on the two pills found in Leslie's bag last weekend, and a subsequent blood test.

From Saturday Age

Scahpelle Corby must hate it now that there is an even better looking Australian on drug charges in Bali, she will loose all of her coverage

goa said:
2 pills = 15 years, 4kg of weed = 20years?
It's actually 2 pills = 15 years, 4kg of weed = death by firing squad. Schapelle was lucky.

Michelle Leslie hasn't been sentenced quite yet - I'd be surprised if she got the full 15 years. It'll still be far harsher than it deserves, but I don't think it'll be the maximum.

Tourists face random drug tests

August 27, 2005

INDONESIAN authorities will force tourists visiting Bali nightspots to take random drug tests.

Bali drug squad chief Bambang Sugiarto said he was taking a hardline approach in the war on drugs.

"We tried to use educative and preventative efforts," he told the Sun-Herald newspaper.

"So, after doing that and the people still use drugs, since we have laws to uphold then we have to take action like launching raids, arrests."

Colonel Sugiarto said drug squad officers would now force tourists, at random, to submit to a urine test. Previously only patrons found carrying drugs were forced to provide samples.

Bali's crackdown on drugs follows a series of recent Australian arrests, including Sydney model Michelle Leslie, who was caught with two ecstasy tablets in her bag at a Kuta dance party.

Leslie faces up 15 years in jail if convicted under Indonesia's tough drug laws.

From The Australian

BALI TOUGHENS UP
Random drug tests at Balinese clubs and bars will be more common as Indonesian police continue their crackdown.

Bali drug squad chief Bambang Sugiarto says he's taking a hardline approach, and that drug squad officers will randomly select tourists to submit urine tests. Previously, only patrons found carrying drugs were forced to undergo drug testing.

Meanwhile, Michelle Leslie, the Australian model found with two ecstasy tablets at a Kuta dance party, has met with her new Indonesian lawyer, Baskui Prawirodipuro. She faces up to 15 years in jail if convicted under Indonesia's tough drug laws.

From Skynews

Anyone for a holiday anywhere else in the world?

hoptis, thanks for that article. It certainly answered my questions. And everyone else's research too.

Tourists face random drug tests in Bali

Just saw this on the net:

Tourists face random drug tests in Bali
05:42 AEST Sun Aug 28 2005
AAP

Indonesian authorities will force tourists visiting Bali nightspots to take random drug tests.

Bali drug squad chief Bambang Sugiarto said he was taking a hardline approach in the war on drugs.

"We tried to use educative and preventative efforts," he told The Sun-Herald newspaper.

"So, after doing that and the people still use drugs, since we have laws to uphold then we have to take action like launching raids, arrests."

Colonel Sugiarto said drug squad officers would now force tourists, at random, to submit to a urine test.

Previously only patrons found carrying drugs were forced to provide samples.

advertisement
Bali's crackdown on drugs follows a series of recent Australian arrests, including Sydney model Michelle Leslie, who was caught with two ecstasy tablets in her bag at a Kuta dance party.

Leslie faces up 15 years in jail if convicted under Indonesia's tough drug laws.

sounds a bit harsh to me......colonel Sugiarto obviously doesn't care about Bali's tourism industry.

It a pretty stupid law but it is there contry if they do not want foriners to take drugs in there contry then don't take drugs if you go to bali wait untill you come back here. oh I wonder what the law is like if I went to a rave in sydney on friday then arrived in bali sunday and tested positive on monday