• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 22/08/2005 'Aussie model in Bali drug bust'

ps> "It is starting to look more and more obvious that the Indonesians are out to clean up. It is not that they do not like the tourist trade in Bali, it is more that they prefer a select clientele."

-Umm they have been 'cleaning up' for as long as my parents can remember, when i was over there (been 5 or 6 times) i have had to bribe cops several times in order to be able to keep on riding my motorbike, or to enter certain areas of places, its just the way it is there, my dad had the same things happen when he went along time ago, this craps been going on for ever, it aint new.

"Then you try and back up your argument by bringing the Netherlands into it" - oh no i did too..!!!
- My 'argument' is not much of an arument at all (if it is i dont know what it is) - i thought it was a discussion, where people could contribute their views? Maybe not if the views not to your liking? IF you are a mod then please edit/delete my post if it has broken any guidlines.

Isnt Indonesia a funny place. It seems as if they put more effort into catching the small guys and users, but then again the big boys probly pay for the Bali police chief's brand new Toyota Landcrusier.

Before all this happened I never wanted to go to Indonesia anyway, large amount of poor people, people trying to sell you stuff constanly, coruption through most levels of government (due to the economic conditions and sysrem of government) and last of all, some pretty fucked up laws. The precurser to meth is legal, but if u get done with 1.8 grams of hash thats 5 months

As a country Indonesia needs to take a long hard look at its self, civil unrest( east timor, Arch, west papua), poverty, not enough education or health services particularly in the country, coruption, HUGE tobacco problem, A fucked economy (Do they export anything except for terrorism?), Its a breeding and training ground for people who support and activly kill large amounts of innocent people, mostly their own countrymen so far.

They do, however, have a nice selection of interesting and tasty tropical fruit.

Poledriver...

I will try and s respond to all of your posts best I can.

First off, not a mod friend, so I am not going to delete/edit your post. In fact I applaud your tenacity to post your own argument and then respond to a rebuttal in turn. Well done, this is what this forum is about and its why we post here.

When I mentioned sides I was really trying to urge you all to look at both sides and consider other peoples opinion and understand the rationale behind those opinions. I personally do not support the drug laws in force in Bali, they are bogus but I have also done the hard yards to understand those laws are not from the Bali people but from the Indonesian govt. Dude, I have been a hardcore user now reformed to struggling to keep it to a moderate and responsible use, so I can relate to E users and also those who can't. Without going to the extent of showing you all of the badges, I just have to ask you to believe me (PM me if you want to go deeper).

Second post. I think you missed my point. Any person running a business in Bali is going to want as many Australian, British, Canadian, Austrian and German tourist they can, that much is simple economics and obvious to anyone. I never cough up too much on BL but you have caught me off guard. My father owns a villa complex in Seminyak and has done so for about 12 years. As such I have spent approx. half my life visiting my father in Bali. His livelihood depends on tourists and to be honest he is really struggling! For the first time in about 15 years he has had to start selling assets to keep his business going. As I said, I visit My dad all the time so I have spoken to a lot of Balinese business owners, particularly those whose business' depend on the tourist trade. They love the tourist money and would hate to see it go. I have also spoken to Carpenters, sewage workers, food plant processors and general manual labourers who hate to see their family, friends and Balinese people be manipulated and poorly treated by tourists, it really upsets them and it makes them feel as though Australians (just 1 example) consider them to be second class citizens.

I appreciate your comments to these points and must say they are all true. However, what I am referring to (and I may not have made my self clear, sorry :( ) but the pressure is coming from beyond Bali and the tourist trade in Bali. The moral majority is now speaking louder than ever and the harsh reality is that Indonesia earns much more from non-tourist export products, so that lobby group is not heard like it used to be. Further, this is a contemporary view point and is really only 12 months old at most.

Finally, I want to respond to this...

"Then you try and back up your argument by bringing the Netherlands into it" - oh no i did too..!!!
- My 'argument' is not much of an arument at all (if it is i dont know what it is) - i thought it was a discussion, where people could contribute their views? Maybe not if the views not to your liking? IF you are a mod then please edit/delete my post if it has broken any guidlines.

When I say argument, I don't come from a toe to toe/face to face view point. I speak academically. You expressed yr view and I appreciate it. However, My point in response is that I really do not believe that your discussion of the Netherlands brings any weight to the overall arguement.

Cheers :)

these shroom shakes in bali are they defintly legal????

ive done a quick search but couldnt find anything.... just curious...

I hope this girl gets at least 5 years in a Bali jail, pretending to be a muslim just tops it all. Fuck this lying bitch and all she pretends to be, just accept the drugs are yours and that you are an imbecile and do the time served to you. Get on with your life.

like this case, I would hope she gets the maximum penalty. but unlike Schapelle (guilty/deserves to be shot) I want Michelle to live out at least 5 years in a dirty jail cell.

Last edited:
katmeow said:
I condemned people who called for a boycott on Bali after the Corby case. But this latest news, that they may bring in random urine testing on club patrons, is making me change my mind :\ What a gross invasion of privacy.

I would never even consider using drugs in Bali, but the potential for having to go through the humiliation of having to piss in a cup in front of a police officer means I wont be putting Bali on my list of future holiday locations.

Invasion of privacy ? You are the ones entering their country so you are the one to follow the rules.

Simple.

^ Rules indeed, but why put a question mark after invasion of privacy? fucking oath it's an invasion of privacy - whether you follow the rules or not, you still reserve the right to criticise them.

indeed if one goes over there and breaks the law, they shouldn't criticise the government there for implementing the punishment - but that is distinct from criticising the drug laws themselves.

their drug laws are pathetic and inhumane, and making you piss in a cup for being in a nightclub is an invasion of privacy regardless of whether or not you have entered their country with knowledge of it.

just keep in mind that if you do visit, you don't have much of a choice about declining their invasion, so plan ahead.

I don't see this much deference given to America, we'll flame away to our hearts content about their laws, foreign policy and judicial system... yet when Bali makes stupid (yes that subjective opinion is mine) laws it's fobidden to comment negatively?

I agree with Kat. Fuck oath the drug testing thing is ridiculous and invasive. I for one won't be holidaying there... ever.:\

Just some snippets from around the place. Now it looks like Leslie could be out real soon. Perhaps she could come back to Australia and become a spokesperson speaking out against prohibition? :D You never know...

Model may be free in a month
By Mark Forbes and Ian Munro
Denpasar
October 14, 2005

Michelle Leslie, who is accused of possessing ecstasy, is moved to Kerobakan jail. If tried as a drug user, she could go free within a month.

AUSTRALIAN model Michelle Leslie could be free within a month, after her ecstasy possession case was handed to Bali prosecutors.

Leslie was transferred to Kerobakan jail yesterday, facing a possible 15-year term after being caught with two ecstasy tablets outside a Bali dance party in August. Leslie's lawyers told The Age that they had provided a Sydney doctor's report to prosecutors stating she was addicted to prescription medication.

Leslie is facing charges of ecstasy possession carrying a maximum sentence of 15 years and a minimum of four. However, prosecutors said an addicted drug user would face an alternate charge with a maximum three-month term.

Prosecutors yesterday formally interviewed Leslie, who left the Denapasar police cells in a white, Muslim headscarf — not the full burhka she adopted soon after her arrest. She was then transferred to Kerobakan jail, where Schapelle Corby is imprisoned.

Chief prosecutor Suhadi said Leslie was facing a 15-year term, but added: "If this person is by law a user, the maximum term is three months. It's the law, I did not write it." It is believed that an Indonesian man arrested with ecstasy at the same dance party as Leslie has already been tried as a user and released.

Mr Suhadi said he would wait until the court hearing, due within two weeks, before determining his position. Leslie has already served nearly three months in a tiny police cell with 11 other women.

During the prosecutor's questioning, Leslie, shaking her head, denied ever taking ecstasy before. Her lawyer interjected: "Just medicine, not ecstasy."

A doctor's report stated Leslie was addicted to prescribed medicine, not ecstasy, Leslie's lawyers said. The report states she underwent several months' treatment for addiction.

Leslie also denied knowing the two pink tablets found in her bag were ecstasy.

Her Sydney lawyer, Ross Hill, said Leslie was pleased to move from the cramped police cells as it meant her case was progressing to court.

From The Age

Like this guy...

Barnesy cancels gig over security, drug laws
By Jonathon Moran
October 13, 2005

JIMMY Barnes has cancelled a concert in Bali because of the increased risk of further bombings.

The Australian singer says he is also angry about the Indonesian Government's tough position on drugs.

"Obviously when the bombs went off I realised I didn't want to risk my family or my fans going somewhere that is dangerous," Barnes said.

"Also I am a little bit upset with the way things are over there as far as you can get 20 years of death for carrying drugs and you can get three years for being a bomber that kills 200 people."

Barnes was to perform before a crowd of about 1800 people at Bali's Hard Rock Hotel on November 19, but cancelled the tour after the October 1 bombings, which killed 23 people including four Australians.

"I am sad on a lot of levels," he said.

"I like the Indonesian people, but I don't like the way things are dealing out over there at the moment."

Barnes and his family were in Bali when the first bombings occurred on October 12, 2002, killing 202 people, including 88 Australians.

"It wasn't that I was emotionally scarred by it, but that was very much in the back of mind when I was making the decision not to go this time," he said.

"Two of my kids were in the Sari Bar the night before the bomb went off and a lot of people are still suffering from that. It is a horrible situation and is very sad for everybody."

Barnes, who recently celebrated success with his chart topping solo album Double Happiness, said he would return to Bali as soon as travel warnings were lifted.

The singer also said he would like to contribute to rebuilding the island's tourism industry.

"At some point when the bans are lifted, when it is safe, I would love to go over there," he said.

"And the other thing I would like to do is get some sort of showcase up to help the victims, particularly the Balinese victims that are suffering."

From News.com.au

keystroke said:
I hope this girl gets at least 5 years in a Bali jail, pretending to be a muslim just tops it all. Fuck this lying bitch and all she pretends to be, just accept the drugs are yours and that you are an imbecile and do the time served to you. Get on with your life.

Just because she is (probably) guilty doesnt mean she has to accept the ridiculous punishment handed down to her. Especially when her offense is something which would have hardly had any negative impacts on the Balinese people. IMO if the judges hold that much prejudice as to actually base their sentencing on someones religion, then they deserve to be manipulated.

On another note, im sick of hearing the same old "different society, their laws, should have known better, therefore deserves jail" argument. Personally speaking, I would never be stupid enough to goto Bali and consume drugs, but lets face it, how many BL'ers would ? Very few I would imagine, simply because this is a harm minimisation board and most people here would be conscious about their safety. Theres a huge amount of people out there who use drugs with no regard for their personal safety, without having any knowledge about dosage or effects. I suspect Michelle was one of those people. Just because she wasnt smart enough to put her own well being above having a good time for a few hours, doesnt mean she deserves to rot in a cell. That wouldn't achieve anything except for giving a young girl a great deal of pain and suffering.

That said, I'm glad to read in the above articles that she may be relased soon. Not that she deserved to even be in prison for the months that she has, but its much better than say ... 15 years. Though I'm surprised it took them all this time to figure out she was a "user", seems like common sense that someone with 2 pills isnt a dealer.

Last edited:
daveadelaide80 said:
Isnt Indonesia a funny place. It seems as if they put more effort into catching the small guys and users, but then again the big boys probly pay for the Bali police chief's brand new Toyota Landcrusier.

Before all this happened I never wanted to go to Indonesia anyway, large amount of poor people, people trying to sell you stuff constanly, coruption through most levels of government (due to the economic conditions and sysrem of government) and last of all, some pretty fucked up laws. The precurser to meth is legal, but if u get done with 1.8 grams of hash thats 5 months

As a country Indonesia needs to take a long hard look at its self, civil unrest( east timor, Arch, west papua), poverty, not enough education or health services particularly in the country, coruption, HUGE tobacco problem, A fucked economy (Do they export anything except for terrorism?), Its a breeding and training ground for people who support and activly kill large amounts of innocent people, mostly their own countrymen so far.

They do, however, have a nice selection of interesting and tasty tropical fruit.
True... They do have some nice tropical fruits, but i think i'll goto fiji if i want to eat some of that. Good points tho mate. Very interesting that Indo hasnt changed much.
And Eggman, you have excellent points and views also, on many subjects, not just this one, i look forward to reading more of your posts, and hopefully contributing a bit more to conversation and discussions too.:)

JIMMY Barnes has cancelled a concert in Bali because of the increased risk of further bombings.

With all the terrible things that have been happening to the Balinese at least now they have some good news. :)

Thought it'd be an opportune time to bump this thread as anti-drug forces in this country seek to make sure Leslie doesn't profit from her drug conviction.

'No offence' in skimpy tops
November 21, 2005

MICHELLE Leslie's representatives scrambled to defend her today from allegations that she was a "pseudo-Muslim" after she swapped her Islamic garb for skimpy tops immediately on release from prison.

Leslie's self-styled spokesman, Sean Mulcahy, said today the model had her own brand of Islam and that she "practises it as she sees fit".

"She is Muslim, she didn't wear anything yesterday to be disrespectful to anyone," Mr Mulcahy said.

"She was a Muslim when she was doing catwalk stuff, so I don't think the fact that she did wear a hijab at times... conflicts with her belief."

The Federal Government revealed yesterday Leslie might be allowed to sign a lucrative tell-all deal, angering drug experts and family values campaigners who want to stop the celebrity model from making hundreds of thousands of dollars from her ordeal.

And Muslim groups condemned her conversion to Islam as a sham set up to elicit sympathy from Indonesian judges.

"We've got no time for these pseudo-Muslims," Australian Federation of Islamic Councils president Dr Ameer Ali said yesterday.

"I'd like to tell her: 'You can't have it both ways'."

Leslie, 24, was set to fly into Sydney yesterday, but was waylaid in Singapore, where she began talks with television executives.

Channel 9 shows 60 Minutes and A Current Affair were at the centre of discussions last night, but women's magazine New Idea was also trying to cut a deal.

"It's just blood money and it is disgraceful," Australian Family Association chief executive Bill Muehlenberg said. "There is a good reason we have drug laws - drugs kill and it is just wrong for people like her to make money off it," he said.

"The last thing she deserves is a financial reward.

"The whole case is confusing for young people but one thing is clear - she is not a great role model."

Leslie arrived in Singapore yesterday after making her flight to freedom out of Bali.

"I'm so exhausted, I'm really excited to be going home and I'm just really relieved to be out of Indonesia," she said.

"And I'm really thankful to all the people that have supported me and sent me e-mails and letters and phone calls during my time in Bali."

Yesterday the Leslie camp showed signs of fracture as the model's best friend was warned from talking to the media by self-styled spokesman Mulcahy.

"I've been told not to talk to anyone by Sean Mulcahy," said Norah Cullen, who made regular visits to Leslie during her time in Bali's Kerobokan jail.

"The truth will come out. It will come out.

"I'd love to tell you but Sean has put a ban on everyone and none of us are allowed to talk."

The outcry over Leslie's plans to seal a lucrative media deal came as Justice Minister Chris Ellison appeared to leave the door open for the underwear model to profit from her conviction.

Senator Ellison backed away from earlier reports that he would block such a move, insisting the decision rested with Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions, Damian Bugg.

Professor Margaret Hamilton, the co-chairwoman of Prime Minister John Howard's own drug advisory committee, yesterday questioned whether media outlets should be allowed to buy Leslie's story.

News.com.au / AAP