• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: News.com.au - 07/03/07 'Oldfield's wife had a drug addiction'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Oldfield's wife had a drug addiction
From Sydney Confidential
March 07, 2007 02:00am

0,,5409401,00.jpg

Drug shock ... Lisa Oldfield (second left) with The Catch Up girls.

THE wife of NSW Upper House politician David Oldfield yesterday admitted she had been a suicidal and serious drug user before she met her husband.

Lisa Oldfield's stunning admission on Channel 9's new daytime show The Catch Up shocked her co-panellists and raised suspicions the TV confessional was a ratings stunt to draw attention to the show.

But a program spokeswoman denied Oldfield's comments were scripted or "expected" by producers.

The gun and fox fur advocate made the comments during a discussion about Britney Spears's troubles.

"I'm going to confess I did a lot of drugs when I was younger, when I was in my early 20s," the 32-year-old said, as host Libbi Gorr's jaw dropped.

"I did cocaine, I did ecstasy and I used to think it was OK because, hey, I still got up and functioned.

"But basically it ate away at the (mood balancing) seratonin in my brain to the point where even though I had a fantastic family, I had a great job, all I could think of doing was driving my car into a tree.

"I really think a lot of it would be to do with the substance abuse. If I hadn't met David I'd be dead now - that's just how serious it was."

Gorr responded: "You've shocked me, Lisa - your openness, I find it quite confronting."

Mrs Oldfield was unavailable for comment after the program - returning for meetings at the sales company she also works for.

While Nine producers were alarmed by her comments, a spokeswoman said: "Lisa is a very open person and her comments certainly weren't expected."

News.com.au

Oldfield's drug-crazed life
By Melissa Hoyer
March 11, 2007 12:00

TWO weeks into a new job on afternoon TV, Lisa Oldfield has dominated the panel format by giving graphic details of her former life as a drug addict and admitted sleeping on a friend's futon after a blazing row with her husband.

Oldfield, who is married to outgoing NSW politician David Oldfield, has given further details of her troubled life in tomorrow's Woman's Day.

"Every Friday and Saturday night, I would take an ecstasy tablet. But eight hours after I'd taken it, it was horrible,'' she says.

"I couldn't move, I felt like crying. I experienced paranoia, psychosis.

"It was like that for the next couple of days _ but stupid me, I wasn't connecting the two.''

The drug-taking confessions of the outspoken 32-year-old raised eyebrows, piqued interest and even silenced her co-hosts on Nine's talk-fest, The Catch Up.

In the latest interview, Oldfield says she began taking drugs when she was mingling with an older crowd and wanted to feel sophisticated and trendy.

She says she eventually turned to other drugs, such as cocaine, to help her feel on top of the world.

Oldfield says that after three months of heavy drug use, she lost control and became violent.

"I was having violent episodes where I would throw things and scream at people ... I had to be physically restrained.''

Oldfield, who also contemplated suicide, credits meeting her husband, whom she calls her "soul mate and saviour'', with saving her.

"There was no temptation with drugs when I was around him,'' she says.

"I fell into his arms, and have been there ever since.''

Oldfield says she hasn't touched hard drugs or anti-depressants since.

Sunday Telegraph

Sounds like she is wanting some extra attention with this new talk show she is involved in. Psychosis from taking one ecstasy tablet... news to me.

I hear voices from taking one ecstasy tablet (providing its clean and strong) but I never really thought it was psychosis. Just one of the effects I get along with very pixelised vision, and a rambling mind state.. I do remember the days when E gave me a clear mind though... gone are those days lol.

Splatt said:
I hear voices from taking one ecstasy tablet (providing its clean and strong) but I never really thought it was psychosis.

It's dead people talking ;)

I thought so. That or I am reading peoples minds...
I hear them whisper more on mushrooms or acid too

Care factor for this matter, zero.

What a fuckn useless publicity stunt. Who gives a rats arse if she used to take pills and amphetamines... SHOCK HORROR.

It would have made more impact if she'd said live on air: "and I'm jacked up right now actually..." :)

^ ROLF! :) Yeah that would have made me tune in!
"Every Friday and Saturday night, I would take an ecstasy tablet. But eight hours after I'd taken it, it was horrible,'' she says.
"It was like that for the next couple of days _ but stupid me, I wasn't connecting the two
That really annoys me! Just more stupidity to add to the drugs debate!
Of course if you take pills friday and saturday night week after week your going to feel like shit for half of the days of the week. I've been there, learnt my lessons and moved on.
I never got violent or lashed out, instead I educated myself and figured out why I felt shit constantly. It pisses me off when people blame the drugs in situations like this! It's hard correcting your course once your well and truly in a drug "cycle" but most of us can handle it.. cry me a river Lisa Oldfield