• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: Magic mushrooms given away by a glow

chugs

Bluelighter
Magic mushrooms given away by a glow
17:33 03 February 2006

NewScientist.com news service
Emma Young

The “magic” components of hallucinogenic mushrooms can be made to glow in the dark by a new detection test developed by Australian scientists.

It detects psilocybin or psilocin – the psychoactive components of magic mushrooms. It is between two and three orders of magnitude more sensitive than the standard UV detection method currently used, its creators say.

Nicole Anastos at Deakin University in Geelong, Australia, studied Psilocybe subaeruginosa, a species of magic mushroom commonly found in Australia and New Zealand.

Anastos soaked mushroom samples in methanol to extract the alkaloid (nitrogen-containing) components. Next she used chromatography to separate out these various components, and added potassium permanganate and ruthenium. If a mushroom contains the hallucinogenic components – psilocybin and psilocin – they will react with these two compounds to release light.

Urine sample
Magic mushrooms contain relatively high levels of psilocybin, and some also contain trace levels of psilocin – which is responsible for the hallucinogenic effects in people. After being eaten, psilocybin is metabolised into psilocin.

But, after psilocybin is broken down in the body, the resulting psilocin degrades rapidly, says Anastos. “The levels found in urine are so low you need a sensitive method to detect it,” she says.

Because the new test is so sensitive, it should be able to pick up levels of psilocin in urine that would slip beneath the radar of conventional tests.

The new test can pick up levels of psilocin as low as 1.2 x 10-8 moles per litre, compared with 4 x 10-6 for UV detection.

Journal reference: Journal of Forensic Science (vol 51, p 45

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8678

Cool article

^Is it really that cool? Sounds like more Big Brother mindfuck to me. The article describes more sensitive urine tests for shrooms - coming to a workplace near you! :( Note the journal referred to is about 'forensic science' - ie the science of busting people. Not cool!

MAYBE HE FOUND THIS TO BE INTERESTING .........

Anastos soaked mushroom samples in methanol to extract the alkaloid (nitrogen-containing) components. Next she used chromatography to separate out these various components, and added potassium permanganate and ruthenium. If a mushroom contains the hallucinogenic components – psilocybin and psilocin – they will react with these two compounds to release light.

Couldn't anyone with a bit of Chem/Science background be able to use this as method of identification of Shrooms ?!!?
:)

Sounds like a great discovery and one that Im sure could be used heaps to help those of you who like mushies to pick which ones are the good ones...........lol.

ya, the only reason i dont do shrooms is coz i dont trust myself at picking the right ones, this could be my chance. lol
i seriousely think they should market this like pill testers, this makes me excited.

^not really. The method is for detecting ultra-low levels of psilocin and psilocybin. Ruthenium is probably not that easy to come by either - and I think it is a radioactive element too.. I guess any sort of glow in the darkitude is always exciting if you're tripping...

Couldn't anyone with a bit of Chem/Science background be able to use this as method of identification of Shrooms ?!!?

Sure, however, in order to do this, a High Performance Liquid Chromatograph (HPLC) with a fluorescent detector is required, as well as a range of solvents, probably including acetonitrile aka methyl cyanide. The procedure isn't indicated as a field test for psilocin or psilocybin.

Ruthenium isn't that hard to come by and most compounds are relatively safe. An exception is Ruthenium tetroxide, which is highly toxic.

Ru2+ complexes are frequently fluorescent and are used extensively as florescent markers. They are not radioactive in the sense implied by ayjay, although they radiate light. Other uses of Ru include an extremely wear resistant alloy also containing platinum and palladium, improving the corrosion resistance of titanium. It's also used extensively as a catalyst, and industrially for the removal of hydrogen sulphide from oil and petrochemicals.

BTW, almost all of the commonly seen reagents react with psilocybin and psilocin. By also employing a standard that doesn't react, (concentrated sulphuric acid) a fairly accurate test could be devised.

My problem would be that psilocybin is actually also called 4-Ho-DMT. Now I'm no chemist, but DMT is found in trace amounts in everyone, and presumably in our urine (or perhaps its metabolite). I wonder how they could tell the difference between so called illegal DMT and 4-Ho-DMT?