Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Legal Drugs The Deadliest

keystroke

Bluelighter
Alcohol and tobacco kill nine times more Australians than illicit substances.

In a major review of the scientific evidence for drug harm, the National Drug Research Institute found tobacco is the biggest cause of death and disease, followed by alcohol, then illicit drugs including heroin and amphetamines.

Institute director Professor Tim Stockwell said the finding is in stark contrast to the distribution of government funds for the prevention of drug-related death, disease and injury.

"Ninety per cent of drug-caused disability and death is from alcohol and tobacco and just under 10 per cent is from illicit drugs," Prof Stockwell said.

"The health cost of legal drugs per year is about $28 billion, roughly 20,000 lives are lost from legal drugs, and thousands of preventable hospital admissions from diseases and injuries caused by legal drugs.

"But the government spends so much more on targeting illicit drug use."

In last year's federal budget, $470 million was allocated over four years to a national illicit drugs strategy, compared with $4 million for a national alcohol harm reduction strategy and about $70 million on anti-smoking measures.

Advertisement
Advertisement
"The evidence is much much stronger in terms of what works for alcohol and tobacco than for illicit drugs but that's not reflected in investment," Prof Stockwell said.

Of the 159 strategies the Drug Research Institute reviewed, the most effective in reducing legal drug-related harm and death included restrictions on smoking in public spaces and the use of tax to prevent the availability of cheap high-strength alcoholic drinks.

"At the moment fortified wine attracts very little tax and that's favoured by people who want to drink a great deal and we know that's associated with violence, admissions to hospital and alcohol related death," Prof Stockwell said.

Enforcing liquor laws and legal age of purchase laws for tobacco and alcohol also were effective, as was advice and intervention given by GPs to patients who smoke or drink to excess.

Economically and socially disadvantaged people and those with mental health problems are more likely to smoke, binge drink and use illicit drugs, the review found.

"But the bulk of risky use of tobacco and alcohol takes place among average people who are averagely well off, not just the disadvantaged people," Prof Stockwell said.

"It's a problem for the whole of society, a central cultural issue about the extent to which we tolerate and engage in the use of drugs."

http://smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392648656.html

Dear God! Whod've thought! ;)

If someone gets picked up with drugs they get sent to rehab, counselling etc etc.. but AA and whatnot is only ever restricted for the serious alcoholics. I havent heard of anyone I know who has been picked up by the police for getting into drunken brawls etc being given anything but a slap on the wrist.

Its always nice to have some things that a blindingly obvious spelt out to the general population.

stace.

This seems like old news to me, although I can't see anything on per capita (well, per user) measurements? The absence of such makes it seem poorly substantiated. Not that I doubt the claims made in the slightest.

:)

What happened, did the Berlin wall come down?

Its nice to see this in the news but its pretty damn old. :)

Old news, but good to see it again...

Once my exams are finished I'm going to write yet another letter to Minister of State John Della Bosca MP and give him my thoughts on this.

i.e. how can the people of NSW feel they are getting value for tax money when so much is being spent on illegal drugs when legal drugs are a huge cost to the ever-ailing health care system