Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - Party Drug Puts 10 in Hospital - 08/03/04

Cowboy Mac

Bluelighter

Party drug puts 10 in hospital

NINE people are in a serious condition in hospital and another is fighting for his life after overdosing on the party drug Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH) during a Melbourne rave early today.

Metropolitan Ambulance Service spokesman James Howe said paramedics were repeatedly called to the dance party at Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena from 1am (AEDT) until 8am today following reports people had collapsed unconscious.
"Nine people, aged in their 20s and 30s, were taken to various Melbourne hospitals throughout the night," he said.

"One man in his 20s is in a critical condition in the Alfred hospital.

"Upon arrival, at various intervals throughout the night, all 10 were found unconscious.

"This drug is a depressant and could be lethal if the wrong dose is taken. These people are very, very sick."

All 10 people were ventilated by ambulance crews before being taken to hospital, Mr Howe said.

"Another problem with this drug is that people take it with other drugs and what they don't realise is, is that they could die from this.

"GBH is an apt name for this drug because that is exactly what it does."

Mr Howe said symptoms include seizures, tiredness, intoxication and muscle aches.

Thousands of people were at the TwoTribes2004 rave party organised by Future Entertainment, Mr Howe said.

"This pretty well sucked our resources dry last night and it was a real waste of paramedics' time," Mr Howe said.

Comment was being sought from Future Entertainment.

Just heard an ambulance spokesperson on JJJ. He sounded pissed off. The big question being; Why were there no ambulances on site?

You'd never get a permit in this state without St Johns or Qld ambulance being on site. I hate adding more rules to the red tape for promoters, but seriously, someone had better re-write the application requirements for Parties in Victoria. :(

BAHHH the bloody G FIENDS ruining the rave sence for all, u'll see its going start raining shit from now on... (Sniffer dogs, more reasons to use the new saliva sample drug testers...) :(

Would these people have intentionally taken GBH? Or thought they were taking something else?

Intentionally, but they would not have been educated enough to know the dose, and know the dangers. It is a large scale commercial event which draws people who are not regular party goers, and it has been established that people in the rave scene are more highly educated when it comes to drug use.

"This pretty well sucked our resources dry last night and it was a real waste of paramedics' time," Mr Howe said.

I hate to be cynical (and do not approve of irresponsible drug use by any means), but what about the 20+ alcohol related incidents that paramedics/hospitals had to deal with over any sort of big weekend?

Are they completely valid uses of hospital time? Where is the article about them?

^^^ Yeah, I am pretty pissed off at that comment. I thought these people were employed to look after who ever needs it. I'm sure these poor people will learn from their mistake.

I hate to be cynical (and do not approve of irresponsible drug use by any means), but what about the 20+ alcohol related incidents that paramedics/hospitals had to deal with over any sort of big weekend?

Are they completely valid uses of hospital time? Where is the article about them?

I think respiratory suppression in an acute context is quite different from alcohol in this regard, but I see your point. However, if you thought you'd have people who may drink to that level, then as a promoter you should have paid paramedics on site, don't you agree?

I think respiratory suppression in an acute context is quite different from alcohol in this regard, but I see your point.

True - I was thinking more the sort of alcohol related problems that involve hitting people in cars, running into moving traffic, breaking a bottle over someone's head, etc, etc..

However, if you thought you'd have people who may drink to that level, then as a promoter you should have paid paramedics on site, don't you agree?

Yes - 100%. I guess there's two separate issues here: one of the (in my opinion) biased/bad reporting, and one as to how well/badly the event organisers handled/prepared for this.

NickyJ, I'm sure you're right that these poor sods will learn from their mistake. What is more surprising is that they obviously didn't learn from the mistakes that people had made before them, and these mistakes are sadly not likely to offer any education to those that will overdose and possibly really hurt themselves in Australia in 2004...

is it a new record?
no, just an old one that's getting over-played.
the lack of ambulances, the lack of drug education,,, yeah fuck it blame the users... afterall no one owes the drug community any duty of care.

Yes - 100%. I guess there's two separate issues here: one of the (in my opinion) biased/bad reporting, and one as to how well/badly the event organisers handled/prepared for this.

Yes. It's interesting that while JJJ announcing this important issue will be raised in HACK this afternoon, both announcers incorrectly pronounced the name of the drug, saying also that neither had ever heard any positive reports from it's use, just bad.

The news reader couldn't even pronounce butyrate, although she had two separate goes at it. That was somewhat funny, although it also has to be seen as pretty unprofessional on the ABC's part

Now while that sort of sloppy talk may appear as fair comment to those who know nothing about it other than what media says, to anyone with a pinch of education [or had some sort of social life perhaps] not only should the drug be called GHB not GBH - without comment at least on the confusing slag - but accompanying comments should be realistic and not scaremongering. I don't use the drug myself, but I know many who do, and like some who have commented on this forum, GHB is not necessarily a ticket to sheep counting, or that life threatening for everyone who consumes it.

Sure there is lots of room for error. So be aware of that, and long term affects, addictive potential etc. Learn the HR before you encounter. The deterrence principle may even replace the curiosity kills rule.

Just don't tell em it's all bad. They first tried that with drugs back in the 1920's and look where we are now....

Unfortunately this is national news people. It's on News.com.au, it'll probably also be on the TV news tonight and paints the entire scene in a very, very bad light.

One reservation I was going to mention before 2 tribes was with the lack of Ravesafe being there, and more people trying and taking G than ever, without understanding how to dose it, it was a recipe for disaster. Not that I honestly think having Ravesafe there would have made much difference.

Look out... there's going to be fallout from this. Mark my words. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
i saw this report on the channel seven news this morning in the first break meaning it is television worthy and that there probably will be fallout from this hopefully some of that fallout will be news readers learning the real name of the drug

i hope everyone who od'd is ok and that its no one from bl

I wonder if Sydney had any G ODs this weekend?

From what I understand from hopsital working acquaintances, there are some G admissions every weekend at St Vincent's yet these never/rarely make the news.

Did the hospital leak to the media or do they perhaps have a close relationship with a journo/ news team, I wonder? After all this time, you'd think they'd have something more useful to say than "GBH, as it is known on the streets..."

Not really any attempt made there to try and minimise harm, or spread news that could be of any use, though, given the news's main function to entertain The People with scare stories, that's hardly any surprise.

[edit] Event details removed

Last edited by a moderator:
It concerns me how often I read articles like this. I guess we can call ourselves lucky GHB hasn't really sparked curiosity in perth..... yet :\

my bro werks in the hospital in melb were they (he said 12) came in.... 11 woke up later and walked out... one was still in a como this arvo.... hope he wakes up.... peace

yeah..

a rather disturbing scene this morning to see like 6 ambluances pulling up as i was leaving...

and the image of that girl being taken out on a stretcher right infront of me will stay with me for life...

hope you r okay, mystery girl... :(

It made top story on the CH10 5pm News.... I didn't see one OD or ambulance... must have been lucky I guess? although as I said in my review of 2T - I did see a larger proportion of people than usual wiggin out / ralphing.

*EDIT* CH 10 called it GBH too :X

Last edited: