• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - 3/03/09 New police chief says drug war unwinnable

Top cop Simon Overland wants some pubs, clubs closed to curb alcohol-related violence
AAP
March 04, 2009 06:18pm
Simon Overland

VICTORIA'S new police chief wants to shut down some of the state's pubs, clubs and bottleshops in a bid to curb alcohol-related violence.

Police Commissioner Simon Overland says it is too easy to sell alcohol which he believes is the state's number one drug and social problem.

Regulation is needed to help end the state's boozy culture, he says.

"For a start there are too many liquor outlets so I think we need to continue to work around a regulation of the industry," Mr Overland said.

"The entry price in is too low and it's too easy to get a licence, there is not sufficient regard to things like concentration of liquor outlets.

"We know when you get above a certain concentration of liquor outlets in a particular area you are going to have an almost exponential increase in problems ... graffiti, disorder, bad language, assaults, violence, the evidence is really clear."

The comments come after reports last December that almost 50 inner Melbourne pubs and clubs faced closure for poor standards over serving alcohol to drunk patrons.

Mr Overland said he was not a "wowser" and it was also up to local and state governments and its citizens to develop geographic areas in a socially responsible way.

"You might argue in some areas you'd be better off to have some more licensed premises because they are social hubs, places for people to go and communities to connect," he said.

"It's an enormous driver of the road toll, it's a factor in family violence, it's a factor in sexual assault, so alcohol is the most problematic drug in our community."

A criminal justice academic gave cautious support but said regulation should concentrate on stopping young people abusing alcohol.

Shutting down liquor outlets in itself would not attack the core of the problem - something Mr Overland acknowledged - and other action was needed, RMIT University criminal justice academic Michael Benes said.

He said a study in Torquay, in southern England, in the 1980s found regular police visits to nightclubs each week to crack down on underage drinking and alcohol abuse reduced the problem.

"There was a substantial drop in arrests and anti-social behaviour during the strategy," he said.

Mr Benes said research by the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research had found more than four million Australians were victims of alcohol-related verbal abuse each year and more than one million had property damaged in alcohol-related incidents.

"There is clearly a link between the amount of alcohol sold in a neighbourhood and the rate of assaults," he said.

The Victorian government was forced to scrap its 2am lock-out policy for Melbourne's bars late last year when many bars fought the law in court and received exemptions.

A government spokeswoman said it was increasing police numbers by 350 and was committed to reducing alcohol-related crime.

News.com.au

Simon Overland era won't stray far from Nixon years
Article from: Herald Sun
Mark Buttler
March 02, 2009 02:36pm

SIMON James Overland is Victoria's new top cop, but nobody should expect the 20th Chief Commissioner to make any dramatic change from the Christine Nixon era.

There was no great surprise in his appointment, nor should anyone anticipate any major change, at least not in the short-term.

Overland is his own man and he has always been prepared to challenge old policing techniques, embracing new ideas in search of a result.

But he today indicated there would be no radical alterations from the Nixon blueprint of the previous eight years.

Overland served as Nixon's deputy commissioner for three years, and the pair forged a close working relationship during that time.

They share common views on many key issues, including a willingness to challenge what some have labelled Victoria Police’s old-boy’s network.

One of his main concerns will be a clean-up of the CBD and its associated alcohol-related violence.

But the new chief does not believe in zero tolerance in its purest form, holding the firm belief that people do not want to live in that kind of society.

He has a vision that drinking in the street will one day be as socially unacceptable as drink driving.

Overland hopes to maintain the community partnership style of policing fostered by his predecessor.

His press conference today referred to a need for collective responsibility as he described policing as “everybody’s business”.

The founder of the Purana Taskforce will also maintain the war against organised crime, although he said he was largely happy with the “model” already operating.

His relationship with the Police Association could be crucial as he battles for resources in a difficult economic climate.

One of his key challenges will be to tread the tricky path to good relations with the union, a task that has been made easier with the absence of its former strongman boss Paul Mullett.

When asked about the morale of the force’s rank and file, so often described as poor under Nixon, Overland’s response was telling.

“I’ve been in policing for the last 25 years and morale has never been higher than low.”

Herald Sun

I would really really love to hear his opinion of sniffer dogs at festivals.

Given what happened at BDO in Perth, if the new commissioner really believes in reducing harms to drug users, surely this is one of the most obvious places to make a start.

For now though, it would appear that between him and Brumby the focus will definitely be on alcohol-related violence which is far and away Melbourne's biggest problem.

I don't know much about this guy, some of the things he says interest me. However, it is pretty naive to think that one guy is going to change policing to be more geared towards harm reduction, for one theres politicians and non using public that have to be appeased. Secondly, there are many coppers who have a stereotypical view on drug use/users who are going to police these offences as they see fit, arrests for drug possession don't come from big investigations like this bloke has a say in, they come from street level cops on the beat who smell something is up and bust our asses.
I truly hope this man can change something for the better but, for the moment I am skeptical.

Given what happened at BDO in Perth, if the new commissioner really believes in reducing harms to drug users, surely this is one of the most obvious places to make a start.

For now though, it would appear that between him and Brumby the focus will definitely be on alcohol-related violence which is far and away Melbourne's biggest problem.

I don't think they've taken much notice in SA r.e. sniffer dogs at festivals, I was at one on Saturday (not sure if i'm allowed to name events that have already passed) and there were sniffer dogs accompanied by a rather intimidating group of policemen (probably 6 or 7of them i'd say) walking around *inside* the festival. And given at the rate at which they were busting people, I could see someone doing a repeat performance of the Perth BDO incident, although most of the people were getting busted for weed, not pills.

But yes t's good to see anyone in power even the slightest bit leaning towards harm reduction. Sounds like he could make some real good progress. Let's hope i turns out that way!

However, it is pretty naive to think that one guy is going to change policing to be more geared towards harm reduction, for one theres politicians and non using public that have to be appeased. Secondly, there are many coppers who have a stereotypical view on drug use/users who are going to police these offences as they see fit, arrests for drug possession don't come from big investigations like this bloke has a say in, they come from street level cops on the beat who smell something is up and bust our asses.

It's also niave to not realise the powers someone in that position has. LE can and has influenced political policy and legal status many times in this country. If Overland came out with something radical towards HR, the closet doors would open and HR advocates would pour out. Even Keelty has displayed a change of mind lately, indicating Demand Reduction should now be the focus. Of course we've all said that for years, and now, slowly the wheels are turning. Don't be surprised if this man initiates a series of changes on how we deal with drugs and the related problems that effect society. At least we're likely to get a properly propotioned risk analysis, and that's a big one in my book.

P_D you raise some good points, I just think when push comes to shove, the changes made by this man will likely be minimal, I hope I am proven wrong.
Evertime somene is elected or put in any sort of power they have their big speech and a bunch of promises that never get fulfilled. I am skeptical he really has the interests of drug users in mind and also, if he truly did, how long it would be before someone else was given the job.

I'd legalise heroin if it'd cause less harm: Simon Overland
Rick Wallace, Victorian political reporter | March 07, 2009
Article from: The Australian

NEW Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Simon Overland says he would support decriminalising a range of drugs if the benefits outweighed the risks.

In an interview with The Weekend Australian, he said he was "cautiously agnostic" about decriminalising drugs. He said police could not win the war on drugs. But while he supported harm minimisation approaches for users, dealers should face the full force of the law.

"For the people who are making lots of money out of it, I am absolutely in favour of throwing everything at them and locking them away," Mr Overland said. "But at the lower end, people who are users and, in a sense, victims themselves, then I think it's actually about finding effective interventions.

"I would be prepared to try decriminalisation of some drugs if there was evidence that was the best way to go.

"I'd need to be convinced. For instance, things like cannabis, if there was evidence that that was the approach that would lead to the least harm, I would support it, but you'd want to see the evidence."

Mr Overland, who succeeded Christine Nixon this week, said he was yet to see such evidence but he was willing to be convinced about various drugs.

"That applies right across the board," he said. "If you could convince me that legalising heroin ... if there was evidence that says that was the way to go, that that would lead to lesser harm to individuals and lesser harm to the community, I would be prepared to back it and try it.

"But I think you would want ... to be really certain about the outcomes, and you would want rigorous evaluation and be really clear that this is achieving what you think it is going to."

He acknowledged the political barriers to decriminalisation, but said he did not believe it was impossible to achieve.

The Australian

We've heard police chiefs in the US and UK making these sort of statements but I don't recall any in Australia making such bold statements. As P_D says, someone of this calibre does get noticed, not just up the chain but also in homes and by mainstream Australia.

Even Keelty has displayed a change of mind lately, indicating Demand Reduction should now be the focus.

Stupid question - what does "demand reduction" really mean?

On words alone you could assume it's somehow suggesting to the general public that "drugs are bad ok". I think that idea has been proven not to work.

I think giving people an idea of what are realistic effects of drug use - and when they might encounter it. Realistic being important. I don't want the "E causes you to grind your teeth down" type advertisement, but I may care if someone says "10% of seized pills were found to contain chemical XYZ - a proven carcinogen".

I think the three tiers are supply reduction, demand reduction and Harm reduction. Supply is busting people with piles of pills, demand is makeing people not want drugs ie the adds you see on TV "He hits me when hes on speed" then there is harm reduction.

Well thats what i learned from jonboys interview on hack

It's pretty much as static says. There are two schools of thought in regards to demand reduction. There's the prohibitionist response; increase penalties to such a degree that it frightens people and they then abstain (mmm...:\), and then there's the harm reduction approach; educate and inform. We've already seen the former fail in every country where it's become policy. HR of course would present the facts, scientifically validated, by which use would hopefully be reduced - but the aim is not to eliminate use altogether. It's all about either accepting drug use has and always will occur, or having the unrealistic idea that drug use will one day be a thing of the past.

To me there's only one method that actually deals with reducing or preventing harm. The other is a defeatist notion, it displays arrogant frustration and a lack of understanding and compassion.

NEWS-New police chief open to legalising heroin-March 06, 2009 .11:30pm

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25149865-911,00.html

By Rick Wallace
March 06, 2009 11:30pm
NEW Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Simon Overland says he would support decriminalising a range of drugs if the benefits outweighed the risks.

In an interview with The Weekend Australian, he said he was "cautiously agnostic" about decriminalising drugs.

He said police could not win the war on drugs.

But while he supported harm minimisation approaches for users, dealers should face the full force of the law.

"For the people who are making lots of money out of it, I am absolutely in favour of throwing everything at them and locking them away," Mr Overland said.

"But at the lower end, people who are users and, in a sense, victims themselves, then I think it's actually about finding effective interventions.

"I would be prepared to try decriminalisation of some drugs if there was evidence that was the best way to go.

"I'd need to be convinced. For instance, things like cannabis, if there was evidence that that was the approach that would lead to the least harm, I would support it, but you'd want to see the evidence."

Mr Overland, who succeeded Christine Nixon this week, said he was yet to see such evidence but he was willing to be convinced about various drugs.

"That applies right across the board," he said.

"If you could convince me that legalising heroin ... if there was evidence that says that was the way to go, that that would lead to lesser harm to individuals and lesser harm to the community, I would be prepared to back it and try it.

"But I think you would want ... to be really certain about the outcomes, and you would want rigorous evaluation and be really clear that this is achieving what you think it is going to."

He acknowledged the political barriers to decriminalisation, but said he did not believe it was impossible to achieve.

[EDIT: Threads merged. hoptis]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see some common sense for once. I'd be hesitant to legalize any of the harder drugs without more research and debate, but I think decriminalization for personal use would be a huge step forward for drug policy, along with large scale education programs. We achieve absolutely nothing by turning users into criminals except further destroying their life and draining the system, and turning them underground and making their activities even more dangerous.

Last edited:
Wow a step in the right direction I feel.

There are some drugs out their that could do people a lot of harm but there are others that would be of a great help.

Also think about how much money the government would make from the drugs and how much they would save from the war on drugs... But in realistic terms this will not happen for a long long time.

As much as I agree with Simon Overland's views, this is nothing more than a pipe dream.

As much as I agree with Simon Overland's views, this is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Yeah, makes sense. The cynic in me says that the people actually making money from the drug trade would be able to exert their influence to prevent any attempt to legalise the various substances, after all it's their livelihood that's at stake.

To be frank I think that the community at large would not accept such a scheme because the mindset of '(hard) drugs are bad' is too firmly entrenched.

Still though, a surprising viewpoint for a cop to have... usually the users are bundled in as criminals since they 'support' the higher ups indirectly by creating demand.