• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - 24/09/08 'Study says four out of 10 suffer anxiety, depression'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Study says four out of 10 suffer anxiety, depression
Susie O'Brien
September 24, 2008 12:00am

AN underclass of young Australians is battling depression, booze, drugs, and poor health, according to a landmark study.

One in five Australians in their mid-20s has a serious mental or physical health problem.

Twice as many suffer depression or anxiety, take illegal drugs, or engage in risky, anti-social behaviour.

The 23-year Australian Temperament Project, financed federally, tracked 2400 young people from birth, following their highs and lows in childhood and adolescence.

Regular snapshots were taken of the group. The latest is the 14th analysis of their lives.

This snapshot shows there is a deep divide among 20-somethings: although most are employed and in committed relationships, there is a substantial group displaying signs of serious social and health problems.

"The lives of the current generation are very different from those of their parents and grandparents," Australian Institute of Family Studies researcher Diana Smart said in a paper presented to an Australian Council of Educational Research conference.

"In the 1960s and '70s, most young people had settled into stable careers, married, and become parents by their mid-20s.

"Nowadays, this is the exception rather than the norm."

The data presented a mixed picture of the life of 20-something Australians. "On the one hand this seems to be an industrious, engaged group of young people," she said.

About 80 per cent had jobs, 20 per cent were studying, half of them worked 39-50 hours a week and another 10 per cent worked more than 50 hours a week. And 60 per cent were involved in a committed relationship with a partner.

"On the other hand, a substantial number were experiencing mental health problems or were involved in risk-taking," she said.

The study shows:

ONE sixth of Australians aged 23-24 suffer depression or anxiety.

ONE sixth engage in anti-social behaviour.

ONE fifth use marijuana, other illegal drugs, or are regular binge drinkers.

ONE fifth have a long-term physical or mental health problem.

Overall, 40 per cent showed severe signs of problems including depression, anxiety, antisocial behaviour or illegal drug-taking.

The study also found that alcohol use increased markedly for many in their mid-20s - most particularly among moderate drinkers.

This suggested that "moderate use in adolescence did not protect young people from harmful consumption later on," Ms Smart said.

Making matters worse, as adolescents became adults their risk-taking broadened to include risky driving as well.

The study also found that parents appeared to play a largely positive role in the lives of their young adult offspring.

Three-quarters of parents and adult children rated their relationship very highly - at least an eight out of 10 - and 94 per cent of young people said their relationship with their parents was important to them.

Only 6 per cent of parents and 9 per cent of young adults reported that they argued at least once a week.

Herald Sun

a very broad article. i dont like how they continually place using illegal drugs into other broad catergories. eg "Twice as many suffer depression or anxiety, take illegal drugs, or engage in risky, anti-social behaviour" and "Overall, 40 per cent showed severe signs of problems including depression, anxiety, antisocial behaviour or illegal drug-taking". this immediately places an negative connotation on drug use. i would claim that occasional and safe drug use is not a problem and is certainly not anti social.

Crap I fit in to all of those categories! Way to be another statistic! =D

Most people I know in the real world that take drugs, do fit into the other categories aswell, however I think it's these things that make them take drugs, not the other way around.

But I would say I fit into the 4 out of the 10.

Lol. Everyone battles severe mental health problems, some are just a little more noticeable and worse. What a waste of 25 years of studying. I coulda told you that the Australian youth of today are fucked up lol. This is my opinion.

Removed comment. Thanks but we don't allow language like that in AusDD. If you have a problem, pm a mod. lil angel15

Last edited by a moderator: