• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - 24/03/2006 'Commission flats drug centre is raided'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Commission flats drug centre is raided
Shannon McRae
24 Mar 2006

0,1658,5128292,00.jpg

Seized items: police officers Chris Alexander and Damien Madden.

DETECTIVES have smashed a multi-million dollar heroin dealing operation centred on Collingwood's housing commission flats after a series of drug raids.

Dealers were rostered to "work" in shifts, and travelled to the flats from outer suburbs in latest model four-wheel-drives to sell their wares, police allege.

Police seized the two vehicles, heroin worth $60,000, $40,000 cash and hundreds of gadgets including laptops, iPods and Xboxes, believed to be stolen goods, hocked to the dealers for drugs.

Yarra criminal investigation unit Insp John Manley said the drug dealing operation was highly organised and run like a business.

Police said the operation was turning over in excess of $1 million a year.

The arrests came after an intense six-month police operation against heroin dealers in inner suburbs including Collingwood and Richmond, culminating in drug raids on Wednesday night.

Insp Manley said the meticulously organised drug-dealing operation was typical of the way drug rings were run, with drug dealers implementing increasingly complex systems to try to avoid being caught.

"It was a well co-ordinated and organised drug-trafficking group, where they were effectively operating a roster and running shifts," Insp Manley said.

"They used the most modern tools of the trade available to run the business. It took a very well planned police operation to lead to the arrests."

Seven men faced Melbourne Magistrates' Court yesterday charged with conspiracy to traffic heroin and possessing the proceeds of crime after simultaneous drug raids at six properties in Collingwood, Delahey, Braybrook, St Albans and Oakleigh South. Quang Ha Ly, Tam Minh Do and Bobby Chaophrasy, were remanded in custody to appear in the same court in June.

Four men, Lam Nguyen, Benjamin Medina, Si Vu Nguyen and Kim Truong, were released on bail.

Police were yesterday interviewing more people over the drug raids.

From Herald Sun

Wouldn't normally post a bust article like this but I thought the way the place was being run was interesting.

Funny that, right after the thing on ABC...

lol...

Man, those flats are fucked up... im assuming its the punt rd flats?

fucking smart arses...

Hhmmmm wonder if the two Nguyens mentioned in this article are any relation to the late Tuong Van Nguyen............;)

^No, they aren't. You will find alot of the Heroin in Australia is controlled by some members of the Vietnamese community. Nguyen is a very common name for Vietnamese families. Much like smith is to English/Australians.

Let me just say that Richmond, Collingwood, Sunshine and St.Albans have alot of heroin moving in and out. I won't be naming them, but there are alot of restaurants in these areas that are responsible for Melbourne's Heroin market.

It is a pity whenever I hear of Heroin drug busts like these, as Melbourne has been suffering from a drought for a while, and as most people know whenever there is a drought, the prices increase and the quality declines significantly, which means drug-related crime on the streets goes up dramatically.

The spread of heroin within Vietnamese communities in Melboure and Sydney is well documented, unless you have something intelligent to add about this connection, please don't post. Especially anything inflammatory.

I'm not trying to censor anyone, but please think before you post whether what you have to say is useful to anyone.

how does quality decline mean and increase in drug related crime.

dada said:

I think the logic they were thinking of there is higher prices = addicts need more money

lol. yeah, right next to a school.. that school is fucked...

syringes on the ovals.. they have to actually sweep the ovals..

not cool.

those flats are known for this kinda shit, not surprising really...

dada said:
Common sense really. When quality declines, the users need to use more to get their fix... when the price goes up, they get much less in a street dose of Heroin, I they will have to pay through their arse for the drug.
So, the habit of the addict becomes very expensive to mantain.
The streets get more dangerous because for one there are alot of rip-offs such as dud-deals. Then you have the real desperate addicts that will either break into a shop to steal, bash an innocent victim for their cash and just generally get up to no good really.
You'd really be surprised how much quality and price can affect certain areas of the community.

I'm surprised it took so long....Makes me a bit sad though,violence aside,It was always the best place to go....quality wise:(

P.S Nguyen and Smith are the two most common names in the Melbourne whitepages

Last edited:
Im also fascinated by the organisational structure used here. I would go so far as to say its a very "Traditional" approach the same is used on the street when dealing H.

Im also not surprised that they arrested so many people, mainly due to the organisational structure. Now with other drugs such as MDMA, MAmp., etc there is a much different structure from big fish to small fish. Usually large busts in the area net very few people.... interesting isn't it.

It may just be that heroin distribution requires a very strong authoritative presence to stop workers becoming problematic for the overall business. i.e. overuse of the product etc.

Oh, I like the fact they found a Katana but no Uzzi.