Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald-Sun 23 Mar 05: Cigarette sales ban 'needed by 2050'

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Cigarette sales ban 'needed by 2050'
By Holly Nott
23mar05

CIGARETTE sales should be phased out by 2050 and tobacco products made available only on prescription, a respected public health figure urged yesterday.

Curtin University of Technology Health Policy Professor Mike Daube is calling on the Federal Government to get tough on tobacco control with a 45-year goal of banning cigarette sales.

Prof Daube, the former director general of WA's Health Department and an international expert on tobacco, said tobacco cost the Australian economy $21 billion per year.

It remains the largest preventable cause of death and disease, claiming just under 20,000 Australians lives each year.

And with 20 per cent of the adult population still smoking, Prof Daube said the Federal Government could no longer just pay lip service to the idea of smoking prevention.

"At the moment, around Australia if you are being charitable, governments in total ... probably spend somewhere between $15 million and $20 million a year on tobacco control," Prof Daube said.

The Federal Government's tax take from tobacco revenue is just under $6 billion a year and 2 per cent of that should be directed into tobacco control, he said.

"That would show that we're serious about it. It sounds a lot of money but it's not a lot of money. It's peanuts compared with the tax take.

"I'm also saying we should set a long-term target for the phasing out of commercial tobacco sales."

People would still be able to get cigarettes if they went to a GP and got a script.

Planning for the 2050 ban should begin now to provide realistic time-frames to end the availability of tobacco products.

"It gives time for smokers to quit, it gives time for government to run major public education programs, it gives time to run major cessation programs, it gives time for people selling cigarettes to find alternative sources of revenue," Prof Daube said.

He said he believed a cigarette sales ban would attract criticism, but was the logical next step.

The concept of banning tobacco advertising and smoking in workplaces had also met stiff opposition when first suggested but had proved successful, he added.

"If it causes trouble for the tobacco industry, whose products kill one in two of their regular users, they're getting everything they deserve," Prof Daube said.

Prof Daube has chaired several major international committees and programs on tobacco and has been a consultant to the World Health Organisation and the International Union Against Cancer.

From: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,12634054%5E421,00.html

I can't envision many GPs writing prescriptions for tobacco...

BigTrancer :)

^

*walks into the doctors office*

"No, I will not perscribe nicotine to you, do you know how dangerous it is?!"

"But doc, I need something to spin this mix with! Cmon, hook me up, Marlie reds, 12 sweet milly-gees baby, cmon doc, I'm having a NIC FIT!!!!"

;)

Last edited:
While I am not a smoker and hate being in smoke filled rooms I believe the ban of cigarette's is totally stupid.
I believe everyone has the right to ingest any damn chemical they wish as long as it isn't hurting anyone else. The logical thing would be to continue having restrictions on WHERE you can smoke.

Also, you're telling me that people won't just buy them off the black market like everything else?

Banning tobacco means it's less likely for other substances to be decriminalised/legalised etc.

Just another way of controlling the sheep. no i mean the masses. :)

I'll probabaly be dead due to lung cancer by then, so it won't be an issue for me;)

A far fetched idea i'll agree, but what if it leads to other "dangerous" substances being available on script?..

It's a very big IF!

I just can't see it happenning. Look at the fear that anti drugs pushes have put in society, including peopel that used to use when they were younger and know what it's about nubut now that they are over 40 and vote for the conservatives their values and world views have changed!

Look at how many people abuse both legal and illegal substances. I think until we mature as a society it wouldn't happen.

Then again i'm also a cynical bastard! ;)

I agree with the ban, not because it will stop everyone smoking because as we know prohibition doesn't work but it will become less socially acceptable and it is the convenience that makes smoking addictive. If you can't light up where ever you want then you are not going to be able to smoke as easily as in the year 2005.

If you want to go even further back consider 20 years ago when you were allowed to smoke in shopping centres, football grounds, and in 2007 you won't be able to smoke in pubs and clubs anymore either. It is a progression. Do you think cigarettes would be legal if they were invented today? No way. They would have scientific studies performed before they were available for sale and they would fail those tests. The only reason they are still available is because people would piss and squeal too much if you took them away!

The only reason I can think of for supporting this is the idea that these big tobbacco companies might go broke. . . then again I'm a smoker so I contribute to their income, and fucked if I wanna go to a doctor to get smokes, I already get enough addictive substances from mine already ;)

I don't feel sorry for smokers but i definately pity their families espeically thoughs who get sick because of their love ones habbit.

I am all for the ban on the selling tobacco. I don't mind though if it goes underground and people use tobacco/grow as in the same way cannabis is. I can't imagine school kids dealing homegrown tobacco when there are so many other great tasting drugs out there to wheel and deal in

How about ban McDonalds by 2050? In fact, lets just ban people from being fat. In a very, very short space of time, obesity will overtake smoking as the leading cause of preventable death. I've had people take a shot at me, feel their social conscience niggling away, and have to say something about me smoking. Yet, am I allowed to walk up to that fat bitch you see buying 2 pies and a slurpee from 711 (you know the ones, fat people buying junk food, we've all seen it) and tell her to lay off the trashy food?

Of course not...

I like this prescription idea - 120kg single mum from broadmeadows walks into the doctor, gets a script for a fucking cheescake... Nil rpts.

Watch the episode of southpark (museum of tolerance?) with the "filthy, filthy smoker!"

^^ theres no such thing as harm from passive mcdonalds eating, I don't get fat sitting next to you whoof down a big mac but I do have to inhale your second hand smoke if you're puffing around me.

Cowboy Mac said:
^^ theres no such thing as harm from passive mcdonalds eating, I don't get fat sitting next to you whoof down a big mac but I do have to inhale your second hand smoke if you're puffing around me.

Smoking has been banned on all forms of public transport .. fatassed bastards who invade your personal space when sitting "next" to you on a plane/train/bus haven't 8) You can politely ask a smoker to butt-out .. try saying the same thing to some fatassed fukka consuming more than their fair share of the world's resources.

It is an interesting point you make that it is socially acceptable to bag on smokers yet completly not to bag on obese people. One of the points the anti smoking lobby brings up apart from the passive issue is also the damage a smoker does to them selves. Therefore obesity can be compared to smoking by this logic. I have heard a discussion of this subject on radio as well. Lots of people are noticing this.

The government will no doubt miss the revenue it makes from ciggarete taxes though...

On a television news advertisement broadcast I saw someone had proposed a tax on junkfood to help combat obesity. As with cigarettes a tax will not help directly to reduce numbers affected by the products associated problems but money could be used to help fund education campaigns which may indirectly create change.

lets make all the legal drugs illegal and make all the illegal drugs legal? lets see what happens...could be fun.

Being a [reforming - damn exercise] fatty myself, I take offence to the fact that it'd be linked with smoking. Nicotine is an addictive drug, well guess what, your evolutionary programming is just the same in regards to fat.

First off, fuck you. You don't know why i'm fat, you have no idea about my metabolism, my diet, my levels of exercise. I know why you smoke though, cause your addicted / you like smoking. People eat for different reasons, what if my parent's never taught me to eat a healthy and balanced diet? Did I choose to be brought up like this? No!

If your aesthetic values are so tightly controlled that you can't accept anything but the traditonal greek aesthetic of a chiselled man, then fuck you again and if you don't understand that I have a motherfucking choice in this wonderful democracy of hypocrisy that I want to be either fat and sassy, or large and happy, another big fuck you to you too! I don't drain on the doctor or give people throat cancer.

Not all fat people are fat because they want to be, many of them like me have years and years of habitual patterns that need to be broken, which lead us to this state. Losing weight is harder than you think, especially when your genetics suck like mine - I got the "fat genes" on both my parents sides, while my little brother is thin as a rake and has a kick-ass metabolism can eat as much as he wants. I look at a pizza box and i'm 5kgs heavier. What about fat people who feel the need to eat to escape the fucking torment of you thin bastards who constantly feel the need to belittle us just cause we don't have rock hard abs or whatever. Or the ridiculous body images that advertisers use every day which make us that do not fit "the category" feel like shit, and subsequently, makes others treat you like shit. being fat in this modern world is like being a second class citizen, if you don't know, get really fat and try it out - you'll be surprised. The entirety of society rags on you for being fat, gee thanks guys. Smokers get all the support whey they try to quit, what about fat people? Where are the adds on TV saying "Don't eat that cheesecake, it'll make you a fatty" Oh WAIT, ADVERTISING REVENUES WILL BE WASTED BY FOOD COMPANIES IF PEOPLE STOP BUYING FOOD.

Seriously, grow the fuck up, I don't judge shit - what gives you the fucking right to either; smokers do what they do cause they want to, I don't question that, why should you judge me on what I do? or eat

where's the fucking personal respect? :X

</angry fatboy rant>

Being a [reforming - damn nictotine] smoker myself, I take offence to the fact that it'd be linked with being fat. Food is an addictive drug, well guess what, your evolutionary programming is just the same in regards to nicotine.

First off, fuck you. You don't know why i smoke, you have no idea about my metabolism, my diet, my levels of exercise. I know why you eat though, cause your addicted / you like eating. People smoke for different reasons, what if my parent's never taught me that smoking isn't healthy and balanced? Did I choose to be brought up like this? No!

If your aesthetic values are so tightly controlled that you can't accept anything but the traditonal greek aesthetic of a non-coughing man, then fuck you again and if you don't understand that I have a motherfucking choice in this wonderful democracy of hypocrisy that I want to be either a smoker and smelly, or large and happy, another big fuck you to you too! I don't drain on the doctor or give people stomach/colon cancer.

Not all smokers are smokers because they want to be, many of them like me have years and years of habitual patterns that need to be broken, which lead us to this state. Quiting smoking is harder than you think, especially when your genetics suck like mine - I got the "nicotine genes" on both my parents sides, while my little brother is thin as a rake and has a kick-ass metabolism can eat as much as he wants. I look at a cigarette box and my lungs are 25 smokes heavier. What about smokers who feel the need to smoke to escape the fucking torment of you non-smoking bastards who constantly feel the need to belittle us just cause we don't have rock hard lungs or whatever. Or the ridiculous body images that advertisers use every day which make us that do not fit "the category" feel like shit, and subsequently, makes others treat you like shit. being a smoker in this modern world is like being a second class citizen, if you don't know, get a really bad nictotine habit and try it out - you'll be surprised. The entirety of society rags on you for being a smoker, gee thanks guys. Fat people get all the support whey they try to quit, what about smokers? Where are the adds on TV saying "Don't smoke that cigarette, it'll make fat people hate you" Oh WAIT, ADVERTISING REVENUES WILL BE WASTED BY CIGARETTE COMPANIES IF PEOPLE STOP BUYING CIGARETTES.

Seriously, grow the fuck up, I don't judge shit - what gives you the fucking right to either; fat people do what they do cause they want to, I don't question that, why should you judge me on what I do? or smoke

where's the fucking personal respect?

</angry fagboy rant> 8)

[Edit: The subtlety was obviously lost on some 8) ]

Last edited: