• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: [Herald Sun] 11/05/2004 - Campaign to remove GHB

"The stickers are a way of saying, I'm not into it.
... for some people maybe, and for others these stickers could very well seem like a total pisstake, or indeed an anti-harm reduction stance that deters people from educating themselves on the GHB/1,4B facts.

Seen too many people fuck themselves over this shit, mainly because of lack of education
I agree... Say No is a knee-jerk reaction that I do not believe will solve this problem in the long term. It might achieve the desired short term effect in the way this promoter hoped, but I don't think it's going to limit or reduce the popularity or prevalence of this drug in the community, and I don't think it will really stop people in the 'rave scene' either. For goodness' sake, these people have been accustomed to taking illegal drugs into parties through security checks for years... being banned by a promoter or club has little deterrent value in my opinion compared to being busted for possession of a DATE RAPE DRUG by the police. This issue has already divided people into those that hate "G" and those that love "G" or don't care. I don't think any amount of negative feelings or "community scorn" will intrude among groups of friends who continually positively reinforce each others positive "G" experiences, and explain away the negative experiences.

Say no is a patronising way of telling people that they're too irresponsible to handle GHB, and they've been told that about all drugs for their whole life, and clearly not listened. Now they're supposed to believe that this one drug, the cheapest one, the one without a hangover, the one without a comedown, is worse than all the rest and they should just say no? Somewhat of a bitter pill to swallow if they don't educate themselves enough to understand the RISKS... particularly when the 'scene' embraces other drugs which are in general more harmful than GHB/1,4B.

OK Alright, I've been playing devils advocate... I'm not against the idea of a peer-led education campain at all, quite the opposite - but I felt like exploring the "Just Say No '04" argument, because it's in a completely different arena to education. What I am against is propaganda which blinds people 'for their own protection', and I don't think people can educate themselves effectively by 4-word slogans. All praise to the guy for trying to do *something* though, and similar praise to Hardware for their press release about GHB. Something *had* to be done, if people can't read the newspaper and realise that these stories about overdoses make the news for a good reason. I hope these strategies have a big positive impact in reducing the number of people passing out at dance parties, and that the recent embarrassing incidences of these stickers being stuck onto unconscious people at dance parties (hearsay) do not deter people from seeking help when their friends overdose.

BigTrancer :)

Threads merged, I apologise for any confusion... but I think we make up for lack of continuity by keeping all the discussion in one place.

BigTrancer :)

Seen too many people fuck themselves over this shit, mainly because of lack of education

I just don't get it...and not just with G. How can anyone consider taking anything without know what the fuck they're taking.

Shit I was the most ardent non-drug taking person for years (but was a major piss-head). But having been exposed to drugs through working in clubs I did a hell of a lot of research, and have since then (clearly!) changed my stance.

But for fuck's sake kids, if you're going to try anything, do some research - you wouldn't just wander into the forest and start eating mushrooms hoping to get the right ones (well I farkin' hope not!).

for others these stickers could very well seem like a total pisstake

My thoughts entirely...

EDIT: Comment removed, ive been flooded with pms.. will try and return all of them

Last edited:
I dont think trying to scare new comers to the scene away from G is going to achieve a lot. It seems to be human nature that if your told you shouldn't/can't do something then the first thing u wanna do is do it. Its good to see that people are trying to do something about the problem but scare tactics and as BT put it "4 word slogans" are not going to be sufficient. Maybe instead of just telling new comers and existing ravers that G is bad maybe try educating them - Ravesafe style. Instead of handing out stickers that say G is bad maybe handout pamphlets explaining how to safely use G. This is simple HM, to some it may seem a bad idea to tell people how to use a dangerous drug in the safest possible way but I think it is neccessary. Most of us have been educated about safe ways to use other drugs, so this should be an acceptable thing to do with G too.
Not all G users are irresponsible dicks who are fucking up parties and the scene so lets not make all G users outcasts and generalise about them but instead try to deal with those who need education. I think its pretty harsh to say that all "G Heads" just go out to get fucked up and are there for wrong reasons.
Anyway just my thought.

Beech out

MixMag has been running a campaign similar to this for a while now - whereas in the magazine it has a full page poster saying 'kick the GHB Mongs out of your club' or something very similar along those lines.

i'm thinking of injecting bleach straight into my veins. that sounds cool too :)

The reason why the stickers were made up were fair, the way things are going there will be more and more police at more and more events and thats not what anyone wants. Can't anyone on here that takes it, just take it home and use it safely there, I'm not going to keep going out to events if I'm going to see people drop and ambo's running from car to car again, it fucks the whole night.
The quote G heads are ruining the scene apart from the G thing (should be 1,4B) is true in my eyes. I'm not saying that everyone that takes it is but it is people that take it that are attracting all the bad publicity and now finally we got some good.

You still can't tell me you can take this stuf for an 8+hours safely, so don't try and leave it as a recovery drug or just leave it alone!

I can tell you that you can take this drug for 8hrs safely..

Have, and will again and again.

Its possible. Its just that its just a drug that shouldnt be available to stupid people. The general drug taking community has a very 'heroic' view towards drug use.. the coolest person takes the most. With most other party drugs you can get away with that view of drug taking, 8 pills in a night, be it really fucking stupid, is still do-able and you can stick a gram of meth up your nose, you just mightnt sleep for a few days. Take a larger dose of G than you usually have, and you'll be unconscious in the gutter without you even realising it till you wake up.

I've found with a lot of G users I have met, is that the real problem is that its thought of as an acceptable part of the evening to pass out somewhere for a few hours from G use. I've *seen* people at a party do a dose of G, pass out for an hour, wake up, have more G, pass out for another hour, etc etc.. and then after the party talk about how much fun they had! That is the sort of G use that makes me sick! People need to be taught that passing out is NOT OK, and its NOT SAFE. I'll quite happily berrate my friends when they start making a habit of falling asleep after using G.

As far as I'm concerned, people should be taught that an overdose is when you fall asleep. NOT when you have to call the ambulance. I'm sick and tired of hearing people laugh about how they G'd out here and there at a party.

stace.

Do any of you people realise that G is prescribed in many European countries AS A SLEEPING AID?!?

I'm sick of immature little ravers who can't handle their shit and blow it for everyone else...

I'll say it again, G is fucking cool =D

How stupid...

The slogan should be - "Say no to drinking alcohol with G"

8)

killarava2day said:
Do any of you people realise that G is prescribed in many European countries AS A SLEEPING AID?!?

I'm sick of immature little ravers who can't handle their shit and blow it for everyone else...

I'll say it again, G is fucking cool =D

dude, G is burning ur insides that isnt kool! It maybe prescibed in European countries, thats PRESSCIBED.. your using it for other purposes....

LahLah,
just had a flick thru the GHB FAQ and it seems that G doesn't burn your insides and isn't all that toxic to the body. If u are getting actual GHB then its not doing your insides any harm as its a natural occuring substance. On other hand 1,4-b isn't naturally occuring but according to the FAQs its not all that bad for you as long as its not abused (same as any drug really).
G isn't the root of all evil, lack of education is. Drugs dont harm people, peole harm people.

Beech out

beech said:
Drugs dont harm people, peole harm people.

Beech out

remind me to stay away from peole's... they sound like they are pretty dangerous...

but back on topic, your body is tough enuff to handle most drugs and repair itself after small doses.... SMALL doses people....

8) Mmmm... As ever, fascinating to hear people extolling the virtues of GHB et al. A few points of correction.
GHB is used as a sleeping aid
Sounds like some of those retro ads for GHB from California circa 1990! Xyrem (the pharmacologically prepared version of sodium oxybate aka gamma hydroxybutyrate) is liscenced for the treatment of narcolepsy, a significant and potentially fatal sleep disorder that is a result of a significant neurological/neurotransmitter malfunction. Firstly, it iss a pharmaceutical agent, and therefore manufactured to the highest standards... Where does YOUR ghb come from? It's probably not GHB, but GBL or 14BD, (Neither ever designed for human consumption, or prepared for it). Either that or it's been coverted from one of these pre-cursors into GHB by the addition of sodium hydroxide- which can certainly cause gut rot! Would you take your paracetamol manufactured by an enthusiastic amateur, on their word that it was of high quality, and with no means to corroborate their assertions? 8(
As to the safety of GHB, I'm sure that Bluelighters are asserting this on the basis of their review of the scientific and medical literature as well as their own personal experience;) , because in the world of scientific proof, anecdote doesn't really count for alot. So in your collective and comprehensive review of the literature, you will have come across the latest article in Addiction (the highest rating medical journal on recreational drug use in the world, and frequent advocate of the drug users perspective) comparing the acute toxicities of recreational drugs.
For those of you who want to exercise the analytical (as opposed to experiential) side of your brain, the reference is

Robert S. Gable
Comparison of acute lethal toxicity of commonly abused psychoactive substances
Addiction
Volume 99 Issue 6 Page 686 - June 2004

(I'm sure one of you brainy computer types will be able to post a link to it
;) I'm a bit of a luddite with computers.

I like the idea of a G-Free venue- and I support it. Well done to all of you who haven't od'd on it yet, the Party Gods are smiling on you!

In my opinion, Luke was trying to do what he could to save the rave scene and the events that he loves to put on...however, like many of you have already said, I think he went about it the wrong way. G is a drug, same as speed, MDMA and alcohol - there's a safe way to take it and a dangerous way. I mean, if I went out and took 10 pills for my first time, I'd most likely end up in hospital, which is essentially the same thing as people 'deciding' they can handle a 5 mL charge the first time they experiment with it. Perhaps Luke could have spent the money printing up 10, 000 correct, informative fliers with guidelines for dosage, re-dosage, what not to mix with it, etc. If he wanted to get his 'anti-g' stance across, perhaps a couple of personal stories by people that have nearly died, or people who have had to take friends to hospital could be included. While I'm sure the stickers are working for some, I actually find them a little offensive... I've been taking ghb/1,4B for about 4 years now, and I haven't once ended up in hospital or in a dangerous physical state, nor have any of my close friends... I find it amusing that despite this, and despite everyone knowing how educated and safe I have always been, there's been talk of "banning" me from promoting for and attending one melbourne rave crew's parties... ironically, the fucks that down 6 or 7 bickies in a night and sit in the corner drooling with their eyes rolling back into their heads are still welcomed into the parties... oh, thats right, i forgot... - of COURSE they're welcome, they somehow managed to stick a "say no to G" sticker on their T-shirt before semi-passing out in the corner... riiiight...
thoughts anyone?

^^^^ excellent points. G is not the only drug that exhibits antisocial behaviours. Someone who is totally off their chops on biccies isn't the greatest advertisment for raves/danceparties but there is no talk of banning E users.
And drplatypus great use of big words.
Muzby sorry for my spelling re. "peole", waht cna i say i juts not good splela.

beech out

I've never tried G and I have no intention to. Not because it can hurt me or because mum told me not to, but because I am happy with munching bikkies when I go out.

I think the reason this "campaign" is underway is because the negative attention given to G recently (re melbourne TT) needs to be addressed. By Rave organisers saying "its bad, we dont like it", hopefully the media/government will give us a break and stop trying to stop raves.

I seriousily doubt there will be "G Patrols" going around raves checking whos on what, kicking those out who are Ging and letting pillers stay. I think its all smoke and mirrors to make rave organisers look more better and not condoning a drug that causes these sorts of problems. And I'm sure if there were dozens of people hospitalised at the next Two Tribes because of E and it was all over the media, the organisers would probably start a campaign against it as well.

Its all about public image. The actual campaign isnt hurting anyone it shouldnt. Those who are on G and sensible enough NOT to pass out, cause no problems and arent affected by the "Say no to G" campagin because noone knows they are on G. Its only the dickheads who flaunt it and start convolsing in the bushes that draw attention to it. And I say, yeah, kick them out. If your silly enough to do a drug and not know what your doing, you deserve to be evited from raves.

If your impresionable enough to be influenced by a little sticker, then maybe you shouldnt be taking that drug to start off with. People who take G safely will look at it and go "fuck off" and continue their night on two feet, while the stupid G-Tard lays on the ground vomiting, covered in stickers.