Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: [Herald Sun] 11/05/2004 - Campaign to remove GHB

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Campaign to remove GHB
Patrick O'Neil, youth reporter
11 May 2004

THE drug GHB has been stamped "uncool" and Melbourne ravers are wearing the message on their sleeves.

Rave organisers have tackled the GHB problem by printing 10,000 stickers with the slogan "Say No To G".

In doing so, the rave community has succeeded where anti-drug campaigners could not.

The stickers have become must-have wear for ravers, with 95 per cent donning them at many events.

One rave store has even started tailoring baggy, fluoro pants, known as "phatties", with the "Say No To G" slogan.

G.O.D. (Gospel Of Dance) rave organiser Luke Howard printed the stickers because he'd had enough of GHB users coming to his events and ruining them for everyone.

Mr Howard now practises "zero tolerance" at his dance parties.

"We decided to ban anyone that has anything to do with GHB from our parties, and several people have been banned," he said.

"With the stickers, maybe the younger crew will see that it is not the cool thing to do, that other people are against it."

Mr Howard said the popularity of the stickers showed ravers did not want GHB to ruin their scene.

"The response and support has been amazing; 95 per cent of people out there have clearly shown they are totally against the drug," he said.

The stickers are distributed at dance parties and rave-wear shops, and are moving fast. Just 30 are left of the 3000 distributed to one inner-city rave store.

Eleven people overdosed on GHB at the Two Tribes dance party at Rod Laver Arena on March 8, prompting calls for the banning of raves in Melbourne.

GHB is taken for its euphoric and sedative effects, but it is unpredictable and can lead to coma and death.

The Dance Industry Association recently issued a statement condemning the use of the drug.

Members include dance party heavyweights Earthcore, Future Entertainment and Hardware.

"GHB in Melbourne is putting 10-15 people a week into hospital. You or your mates could be next," the association said.

"Its senseless use has the potential to destroy you, your scene, your mates, as well as the future of the events you like to attend."

Lorren, a worker at an inner-city rave clothing shop, said "G-heads" were ruining the scene for everyone.

"The stickers are a way of saying, I'm not into it.

"They are giving the rave scene a bad name and basically everyone has had enough.

"I go to parties because it doesn't matter who you are or what you wear. It is about being together, getting dressed up and enjoying the music.

"G-heads aren't going for the right reasons. They are just going to get wasted and we don't want to see that."

Herald Sun article
News.com.au article - same story, different picture (Lorren from a rave shop; anyone know which?)

Dare I say it, but with my own eyes, a positive article in the Herald Sun on the scene. Probably the most important quote: "In doing so, the rave community has succeeded where anti-drug campaigners could not. "

I guess this is the sort of good publicity the DIA was looking for.

95 per cent donning them at many events

You know the thing about statistics is that 78% of them are made up.

Where the fuck did they pluck 95% from????

G.O.D. (Gospel Of Dance) rave organiser Luke Howard printed the stickers because he'd had enough of GHB users coming to his events and ruining them for everyone.

Luke ur a fucking champ!
:D :D :D

saynotog2.jpg

In doing so, the rave community has succeeded where anti-drug campaigners could not.

This is an important distinction, because if it were a government initiative it would have most likely been rejected by the community. It was a peer-led initiative, peer-led education, and that is why it has had success.

damn g-whores..hehe

sure enough g is a nice feeling drug but its like knowing how to play with explosives. damn irresponsible ppl ruining a good drug and good events for everyone else.

i say no to g

I think the G/1,4b thing has been done inside out, I just thought it was an interesting link.

They got the "95%" remark from an offhand comment made by the interviewee. It's further down the article.

BigTrancer :)

I saw that...but I'd love to know where the original guy pulled it from...unless the rave had a "don't get in without wearing a sticker" policy, I reckon 95% would be a bit on the high

No G is good G...
Seen too many people fuck themselves over this shit, mainly because of lack of education, but also the lack of information surrounding this chemical, ie. concentration and dosage... Not even Bluelight could solve all the problems of G or any other drug, but in all fairness, G is something the community doesn't require at the moment.

Yeah interesting link, I've heard people talking about those stickers, party organisers are really getting stuck into being against this whole "SAY NO TO G" thing.

Maybe the media should point people to the bluelight G / 1,4b FAQ so that more people don't be so careless with their dosages of G / 1,4b

Yeh Luke started the whole thing after someone O.D'd at his party (G.O.D Easter Edtion), wich totaly wrecked his and Kims night... i don't think any of us thought it would become this big... which is a good thing (i think)

haha i love em..... say no to g kids....

i need to get some off ya next time i see ya tom-ooo, if u got any left?

yeah which mofo stuck one on the air freshner in my car???? i didnt realise, and was driving somewhere with someone from work...

and they were like "what's with the G thing??"

Its awesome to see that a movement led by ravers themselves can be so successful. Of course it doesnt suprise me. When new people come to parties and see the people they consider to be "cool" wearing slogans such as "say no to G", then its definately going to make an impact.

"G-heads aren't going for the right reasons. They are just going to get wasted and we don't want to see that."

However, its quotes like these that I see all too often which frustrate me. What exactly is a "G-head"? Some poor kid who's been offered 'liquid ecstasy' and told it'll make him feel good, unbeknownst that an hour later he's passed out in a corner due to lack of knowledge? More often than not I would say those "G-heads" this article so nicely refers to are actually the people who are there having a lot of fun and being responsible about the drug they choose to take. It wouldnt suprise me at all if the majority of the people we have the misfortune of watching being carted away from an event in an ambulance are not long-time users, but infact kids who have been offered something 'new and interesting' and have no idea about the risks involved.

Anyway, big ups to the rave community for standing up and making a change. I'm extremely impressed that everyone could get together and say "this is a problem that is going to seriously harm our scene" and actually going ahead and doing something about it. I think this will really make an impact on things, if not just to show that 'ravers' arent just a group of misbehaved degenerates with no prospects in life. The community is a lot stronger than even I anticipated.

stace.

rofl muzby..... i dont think it was me, but i can never be too sure....

I dunno if i'm a big fan of this. I personally dont use G much at all myself. Have had it a few times but isn't really suitable for me cos I like a beer or 2 (or 10). Its not really fair on those who use the drug responsibly, yes there are plenty of people out there who are responsible users. People do stupid shit and can act like wankers on coke, does that mean we are going to ban people who use coke from attending parties?
If such an approach is going to be taken maybe anyone who OD's on any substance should be banned from the club/party/rave/whatever? I dont think this is a good idea either.
The just say no message to taking drugs hasn't worked in the past, so why should it work now? Just because I pack of ravers in bright clothes have pretty stickers on their shirts or logos on their phatties?
I understand event organisers wanting to make their events safe for everyone and provide a desireable environment but does anybody really think that prohibition and zero tollerance is going to work in the culture that is being delt with here.
I think as many people have said in many other threads that education is the key, no scare tactics or labelling people losers for a particular behaviour and not "Just say no".

Beech out

im all for doing whatever is possible to make G less attractive to the new kids coming thru, and thats the purpose of it all ... and its working ... so hopefully your going to see more educated kids and less overdoses! ... maybe