Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald-Sun 09 Jun 04: Elderly couple guilty of drug dealing

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Elderly couple guilty of drug dealing
Vivienne Oakley
09jun04

A COUPLE, believed to be Australia's oldest convicted drug dealers, may lose their house, their savings and all their possessions.

The World War II veteran and his wife of 58 years were yesterday released on a suspended jail term, after being caught with almost 19kg of cannabis.

A jury found the Perth couple guilty on two counts each of possessing cannabis for supply.

David William Sidney Davies, 81, was brought into the West Australian District Court in a wheelchair. His wife, Florence Gladys Davies, 77, sat in the dock with a green blanket covering her knees. In deference to their age and frail health, they were allowed to remain seated while Judge Peter Williams told them they were sentenced to 16 months' jail, suspended for two years.

The court heard cannabis worth up to $260,000 was found stashed in their home -- in a false ceiling above the passageway, and in three ice-cream containers under their bed.

Police also found $7000 cash in their car, which the great-grandparents claimed they had saved from their pensions for an overseas holiday.

However, prosecutor Paul Dixon told the jury that money had been paid to the couple by their son, who admitted stashing the drugs at his parent's home.

Their son, Tyssul Davies, pleaded guilty to a charge of possessing the drug for sale or supply, in October 2002, and was sent to jail for two years and nine months.

The guilty verdict may result in the pensioners losing their home, $40,000 in fixed deposits and everything they own.

Under the WA's drug laws the Director of Public Prosecutions can seek an order officially declaring them drug traffickers.

That label -- which can be sought in relation to any person caught in WA in possession of more than 3kg of cannabis -- would mean confiscation of their assets.

WA DPP Robert Cock is still considering the circumstances.

Max Crispe, for Mr Davies, said the case reflected the adage "you can choose your friends but not your relatives".

Mrs Davies' lawyer, Judith Fordham, said the couple had found the court process "enormously stressful".

Mr Davies suffered a heart attack in the Perth police watchhouse when arrested two years ago and his wife is also on a waiting list for surgery.

From: http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,9789582%5E662,00.html

Buy the ticket, take the ride... it's still a victimless crime, right? Otherwise why would they have lied about where they got the money, or kept it in their car instead of the bank, if the son stashed the stuff in their house without their knowledge?

BigTrancer :)

It amuses me that because of their age they get let off for the same charges a mate of mine got for having not even a fraction of.

It annoys me that the law is so bendable it's not funny.... I wouldn't see the free world for 10+ years if I got caught with that, ohwell lucky them none the less. :)