• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - 07/09/07 'Brumby tried it at uni, but now he's changed his mind'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Brumby tried it at uni, but now he's changed his mind
Ellen Whinnett
September 07, 2007 12:00am

0,,5644404,00.jpg

Premier John Brumby, pictured as a teacher in 1976, has admitted experimenting with marijuana in his university days, but now opposes any relaxation of marijuana laws.

PREMIER John Brumby has changed his stance on marijuana and now says the drug should not be legalised. In 1996 he sought to have it decriminalised.

Mr Brumby, who has said he tried marijuana while at university, says he has no plans to decriminalise the drug, which is being increasingly linked to depression and other mental illnesses.

In 1994, Mr Brumby as Opposition leader said his personal view was that the drug should be decriminalised.

And in 1996, he went as far as to introduce a private member's Bill, seeking to have marijuana decriminalised, $100 fines introduced for people who smoked it in public, and a reduction in penalties for some drug trafficking.

"In South Australia and the Australian Capital Territory effectively it is an offence but not an indictable offence to consume marijuana. That is my personal view. It is not a view I've pushed through the party," Mr Brumby said in 1994.

Speaking about his time at university, Mr Brumby said: "I tried marijuana and experimented with marijuana.

"I'm not endorsing, suggesting, promoting, encouraging people to do that, but I'm being honest in saying that I did do that and unlike (US) President (Bill) Clinton, I did inhale."

Mr Brumby's comments 13 years ago were made during a period of debate about whether laws prohibiting the smoking or possession of small amounts of marijuana ought to be relaxed.

Two years later, his personal opinions became Labor policy.

"As I have said, tens of millions of dollars of police time and resources and court time is currently devoted to prosecuting, and in some cases persecuting, individuals who do no more than consume small amounts of marijuana for personal use," he told State Parliament in 1996.

"We say that is a shocking and inexcusable waste of resources when every single dollar of budget spending we can get is needed to tackle the real problems caused by drug abuse in our community. What folly, and how absurd it is to spend all that time and money prosecuting and persecuting those who do no more than consume small amounts of marijuana for personal use.

". . . the Opposition supports the recommendation to decriminalise marijuana because the link between marijuana and harder drugs must be broken."

Former Liberal premier Jeff Kennett encouraged the debate after the Penington report into drug law reform, but ultimately decided not to decriminalise marijuana after a rebellion from conservative back-benchers and some in his Cabinet.

Mr Brumby's spokeswoman, Louise Perry, said yesterday that the Labor Government would not be changing its current position, which is to oppose any relaxation of marijuana laws.

"The Premier felt the debate had moved on from when he made these comments, and the evidence was clearly showing now that strong deterrents were working," Ms Perry said.

She said Mr Brumby's view was that the clear message of unacceptability of cannabis had contributed to reduced use and increasingly negative attitudes towards cannabis use, especially among young people.

Previous Labor premier Steve Bracks has said he never tried marijuana.

Opposition Leader Ted Baillieu is another who has never smoked the drug.

Herald Sun

Bong ban bid after Brumby backflip on pot legalisation

Bong ban bid after Brumby backflip

September 7, 2007 - 2:23PM

The Victorian opposition has renewed calls for bongs to be banned following Premier John Brumby's backflip on legalising marijuana.

Mr Brumby rallied for the drug to be decriminalised while in opposition 11 years ago but has since changed his mind.

As the then opposition leader, Mr Brumby introduced a private member's bill in 1996 to decriminalise marijuana and his views were later adopted as Labor Party policy.

But Mr Brumby, who admitted smoking marijuana while at university, no longer supports decriminalising small amounts of the drug for personal use.

The opposition's mental health and drug abuse spokeswoman Mary Wooldridge called on the government to go further and ban the sale of bongs - water pipes used to inhale marijuana.

"If bongs continue to be freely available it sends a conflicting message in relation to whether Mr Brumby and the government are actually serious about trying to reduce cannabis use in Victoria," Ms Wooldridge told AAP.

She said the premier's backflip was too little too late.

About 400,000 Victorians use marijuana every year and the drug's harmful effects, including a tripling of the incidence of psychosis, had been long documented, Ms Wooldridge said.

"While it's a very welcome u-turn on his (Mr Brumby's) former position I think he's been slow to come to the realisation of something that the sector and the community has been aware of for a long time."

But a spokeswoman for the premier said decriminalising marijuana had not been Labor policy for some time.

In June 2001, Labor's then health minister Bronwyn Pike said legalising the drug was "not on the agenda for this government".

A spokesperson for Mental Health Minister Lisa Neville said the Ministerial Council on Drugs had agreed in May that the federal government should develop options for banning or regulating smoking equipment used for cannabis.

Ms Wooldridge said bongs could be outlawed in Victoria under either the Fair Trading Act or the Controlled Substances Act, which were amended to ban 'ice' and cocaine kits.

She said provisions could be made for people who smoke marijuana for medicinal purposes to access bongs or similar devices.

Cultural exemptions could also be made for people who use hookah water pipes to legally smoke scented tobacco.

"So, instead of going from a free-for-all situation where anyone who wants to walk into any shop can purchase it regardless, you could have a system where people who needed it for medicinal uses were authorised or licensed by the police or the health system to do so," she said.
AAP

Juice bottle, garden hose, tin can and lighter and there you have it, Homemade bong!

People will only start making a blackmarket for bongs anyway, I know people that sell blackmarket tobacco for F**Ks sake. I can see it, in a few years weed dealers will be selling paraphernalia.....going to be interesting what happens.

Also, im in NSW but noone sells oil(ice) pipes anymore, its shitty smoking out of a lightbulb.

the_ketaman said:
Juice bottle, garden hose, tin can and lighter and there you have it, Homemade bong!

I bought a volcano :)

I wonder how such laws would affect vaporisers?

Hookhas, wooden pipes and Vaporisers still seem to be legal. They're not specifically outlawed, only brass/metal pipes for marijuana and bongs are. Going by what QLD did, but I'm sure it will be the same all over Australia soon.. Fucking stupid.. Now it WILL be giving smokers lung/etc.. cancer because of using tin and hoses and plastic bottles. Pathetic.

BTW I wasn't aware marijuana had any legal medicinal purposes anywhere in Australia? I know CSIRO grow it for research in Canberra but I had no idea it was preescribed or anything for pain etc.

Tobbaconist stands still sell them under the counter at an increased price if you don't look like a cop or just say yeah can i get another one of those pipes.

technoHarmony said:
haha your not looking right ;)

Heh, yeah they are around, just not in clear view.

And as for this, it doesn't really matter. As ive said before and ill say again, no cunt in a suit is going to stop me from smoking a plant, whether it be out of a store bought bong or a home made.

So good work government, you haven't done shit.

Splatt said:
Tobbaconist stands still sell them under the counter at an increased price if you don't look like a cop or just say yeah can i get another one of those pipes.

yeah all tobacconists in sydney have them hidden now
if they like you, theyll sell you an ice pipe from their 'secret stash' haha

Are bongs still available by mail order? i.e. online sex stores etc? (I'm not asking for sources, just wondering if they're covered too).

Ketaman: Learn to blow glass if u want a meth pipe, propane torch and a glass tube - crackie in 10 mins. :)

Most tobacconists in QLD wont even sell cone pieces or stems anymore.. fucked.

just a warning, be careful with hose stems as when you light the cone, you can burn the hose and inhale the burning plastic. You're far better off buying a stem and cone piece that you can transplant into a new bottle when time comes.

Depends which ones are prepared to delay their fines and raids by handing a bit of cash over to the boys in blue obviously. The well known shops won't go near it now. Try a popular novelty shop.

technoHarmony said:
yeah all tobacconists in sydney have them hidden now
if they like you, theyll sell you an ice pipe from their 'secret stash' haha

One of them was telling me how he had to go to court because he sold one to an undercover. He hides them under the counter - and he only sells them to someone who puts a $20 note on the counter and then mentions an oil burner/other title which refers to it.

and btw technoHarmony I can't reply to your PM as of yet, post count limitation.