• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun - 02/04/07 'Painkillers can kill' (paracetamol)

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Painkillers can kill
Jane Metlikovec
April 02, 2007 12:00am

DOCTORS are warning against taking too many painkillers after revealing two Victorians died after accidentally poisoning themselves with paracetamol.

The two victims, including a 45-year-old woman, died from paracetamol-induced liver failure between 1989 and 2004 according to statistics from the Victorian Liver Transplant Unit.

The woman had been taking paracetamol to relieve pain after a hysterectomy and had been unable to eat.

Research suggests prolonged fasting increases the risk of paracetamol poisoning, as does excessive alcohol consumption.

The woman died waiting for a liver transplant.

A further 40 Victorians were referred to the unit suffering liver damage from too much paracetamol during that same period. Paracetamol poisoning was clearly accidental in 11 of those cases, including the two deaths, and another case where a patient survived after undergoing a transplant.

Dr John Lubel, Professor Peter Angus and Dr Paul Gow from Melbourne University and the Austin Hospital, said while the number of Victorians suffering from severe liver injury from accidental paracetamol poisoning was low, people should be aware.

Doctors should be cautious about prescribing the drug in malnourished or fasting patients, they said in the latest Medical Journal of Australia.

Herald Sun

I always try to avoid paracetamol, it's such a damaging drug, as well as iboprufen.

just stick to my asprin

I takle a bit of it with codeine (500mkg + 10mg code) 3 pills at a time.. then a couple hours later 2. Probably not the best for me but alco headaches are fucked.

I have been told that aspirin is bad for you to.

So whats the truth here?

I find that 2 panadol doesnt do jack for a headache for me but 3 will.

Sometimes I will take 15-18 a day if Im really struggling...........maybe once a week on average.

I probably munch down 30-40 a week on average i guess.

Is this bad?

Aspirin.............I find that about 4 at a time will help with muscle pain and inflamation when I get hurt riding.............sometimes I may take 20 or so a day. If Im in pain then maybe 100 or thereabouts a week for a few weeks until inflammation has gone.

Is this bad?

MazDan said:
I have been told that aspirin is bad for you to.

So whats the truth here?

I find that 2 panadol doesnt do jack for a headache for me but 3 will.

Sometimes I will take 15-18 a day if Im really struggling...........maybe once a week on average.

I probably munch down 30-40 a week on average i guess.

Is this bad?

Aspirin.............I find that about 4 at a time will help with muscle pain and inflamation when I get hurt riding.............sometimes I may take 20 or so a day. If Im in pain then maybe 100 or thereabouts a week for a few weeks until inflammation has gone.

Is this bad?

Wow!, certainly doesnt sound healthy. i'd be trying to figure out the cause of the pain....and if its self inflicted... then give that up!

Negcreep said:
Wow!, certainly doesnt sound healthy. i'd be trying to figure out the cause of the pain....and if its self inflicted... then give that up!

I may be wrong but i think im on the small end of use.

Reasons for aspirin were given above.

Panadol for headaches can be for stress sometimes, to low water levels due to sweating in a ceiling for an hour or two to simple heat related to I dont always know.

MazDan said:
I may be wrong but i think im on the small end of use.

Reasons for aspirin were given above.

Panadol for headaches can be for stress sometimes, to low water levels due to sweating in a ceiling for an hour or two to simple heat related to I dont always know.

above 4000mg a day of paracetamol is BAD, especially on a regular basis!!!!

I HIGHLY recomend u stop this and get your liver checked out, its highly possible u have damaged it.

I install air conditioning for a living and believe me i spend alot of time in rooves as well and come out drenched with sweat. I dont mean to be rude but u wanna know what the best solution is? drinking water.

Taking a couple of pills is alright but this 15-18 pills a day is VERY DANGEROUS.

Please, do your self a favour and get a liver test, from what iv heard liver failure is one of the most unpleasant ways to die.

I agree. Mazden do u seriously consume that ammount of paracetamol?

I would get a liver test done just to be on the safe side cos that's far too much. As mentioned I think 4g is max per day.

I take it too often because of the paracetamol/codeine combo but I always try to always stick within the 1g per 4 hours and max 3 to 4 gs a day.

I sometimes wonder if I've done damage my self.

My understanding is that paracetamol is one of the single biggest causes of liver failure in the western world. Yet we are bombarded with advertisements preaching the wonders of this drug.:p

my girlfriend just had an abcess on her gums that required a tooth extraction that lead to necrosis of the gums - mega painful , the docs will only prescribe her the "stronger than the OTC codiene" tabs (forte?) which she has gone through and she also has gone through a packet or two of the OTC variety.

She's in some serious pain and im of the opinion that eating that much panadol is not good for her, but the docs REFUSE to prescribe anything else!!!!!! fuck, even just 5 slow release oxycontin or something similar would do the trick, one for each day, it must be healthier than 20 paracetamol tabs every two days... i hate seeing her in pain, but i dont want to lose her to liver failure... argh..

now im really worried.

maybe disolve a disprin in half a glass of water and she can rinse her mouth out with it

it will reduce some of the inflamation

Maybe your gf should try a cold water extraction on some pills with codeine.

APAthetic

The shit should be renamed Placedomal.
Take two an' rest for an hour,
your headache goes away.
Rest for an hour,
your headache goes away.
If not, take codeine (coupled with it's lovelegal friend poisodol).
As far as I've ever experienced,
the shit is SERIOUSLY useless,
perhaps apart from (in small doses)
reducin' fever in kiddies.
Blah.

At least ibuprofen produces a small amount of muscle relaxation.

I've had it stop headaches but that could of been placebo.
Some people rely on it for hangovers or even going to sleep!

I'd take maybe 20 panadol/nurofen a year, usually with codeine in them.

And I drink. A lot.

Prince Planet said:
My understanding is that paracetamol is one of the single biggest causes of liver failure in the western world. Yet we are bombarded with advertisements preaching the wonders of this drug.:p
I'd say that would be due to it's wide availablility and it's common use in suicide attempts. The bad thing is if you do take enough to do your self in it doesn't happen straight away but rather over the course of a few days your liver just ceases to function.

Splatt, paracetamol and codeine tablets are a must for me when I have hang overs. Panadeine 15 is fantastic for this purpose. 500mg/15mg codeine OTC.

I make a big deal out of it to my family when I take it... When I do it's only because I absolutely have to...