Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Heaven Nightclub decision

Bent

Bluelighter
ABC article

The Crown argues that by not following a police request to warn people over the PA system about the dangerous batch of ecstasy being sold in the nightclub, Heaven endangered their lives.

I'm really surprised (and impressed) that the Police would take this stance, I would have thought the official postion would be "Drugs are Illegal", whereas the seem to be taking a strong harm minimisation stance - is this common practise?

extremely interesting implications for pill testing in clubs. hmmmm

How did the police know that the pills were sold inside and these 4 teenagers didn't source them together if they were friends prior to entering the nightclub or if they bought them at a nightclub beforehand? What good is a warning without a specific pill description anyway?

As johnboy mentioned, maybe with pill testing in clubs something like this would be avoided?

IIRC it wasnt actually a "bad batch" of pills that caused the teenagers to faint, but rather various drug combinations (one including GHB) in addition with a lack of hydration in a hot environment. So I think heaven took the right decision in not announcing this so called "dangerous batch" of pills, which were more likely than not mdxx. Ofcourse, even a clean MDMA pill could be considered dangerous, but the way the media insinuates that the only blame should be placed towards dangerous pills and not to the uneducated users themselves ... frustrates me, because ultimately it all comes down to the users awareness of the drug. A dirty pill in the hands of an educated user shouldnt be much of a problem, since they would presumably use a reagent kit and possibly compare with others on pillreports. A clean pill (or pills) in the hands of an inexperienced user can still send them to the emergency room.

If I recall, that day/night was particularly hot, one of the hottest last summer.

I've been told by a few people that the pills were A's.

so were they bad pills or were they just 'good' mdma pills and because of the extreme weather conditions a few people were hitting the dirt due to mixed combo of drugs?

I remember a similar thing happenign at a CBR event when the PA system was used to warn people of certain pills that users had adverse reactions to....

I think it's just people getting too high and too hot and not taking any precautions....

If you read the article that the link goes to, it states "Adelaide" clearly up the top. And for posterity, the old Canberra Heaven would have been rather unlikely to notify patrons of substance dangers in any respect, let alone over a PA system...UC have done it a few times I'm told though.

And it must have been a very quiet and tentative request by the Police if the club failed to meet the demand. I wonder about the management approach of a club that refuses to co-operate with police requests like that, particularly when the motive is safety...

How bout putting the politicans on trial for endangering their constituents, i can't remember the last time the cointreau i picked up the bottle shop contained PMA rather than alcohol.

The police are wrong. A club has a duty of care towards their patrons (to prevent knives etc from coming onto the premises) but they have no duty of care in regards to illicit substances... hell thats practically a defining concept of illegality -- you do it at your own risk, in contravention of the law. You cannot expect clubs to try and protect against illegal behaviour over which they have little to no control.

-- actually I'll change that. Clubs should provide harm minimsation strategies like fresh flowing water. They know lots of people are doing drugs; people going to hospital because of a lack of water is easily avoidable. But clubs having to give some sort of list of whats going around thats bad (and whats not)? I think not.

Last edited:
Surely there would be some kind of implication on the club by announcing a possible bad drug over the PA that would put them in a spot. That would be admitting to them being a drug club and have some kind of other issues attached I would guess. Harm minimisation yes but it would have to be subtle like water and not blatant like posters on the walls warning of bad pills circulating like VelocideX said. No nightclub wants to be labelled a drug club as the constant police interest and bad press would do nothing good for business.

In this case I think the media would have put a bias on the article to make the club appear at fault more than anyone else. I think it was established it was hardly the clubs fault, apart from minors being allowed in, and more the fault of excess heat and uneducated users. Not a bad batch of ecstasy.

Notneo: They charged the person that sold them the pills, he was friends with the girls. And at the club with them.