• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News - Federal MP tells SA Govt to crack down on drug testing - 11th July 05

Pyne and co are effectively promoting a policy of "harm miximisation" for MDMA users by calling for a crackdown on pill testing. Their thinking is that increasing the risks will convince more people not to use.

The only way to overcome government inaction is for users to stand up and take direct action by supporting organisations like enlighten. Needle and syringe programs were only introduced in Australia because users got together and formed organisations to lobby for their rights and (eventually) provide services of their own.

Great work JB!

I alway thought the enlighten crew couldn't be charged for possession while testing as they never actually touch the pill. They get the owner of the pill to take a scraping.

shorza said:
Great work JB!

I alway thought the enlighten crew couldn't be charged for possession while testing as they never actually touch the pill. They get the owner of the pill to take a scraping.
Under Australian law it does not matter if we physically take the scraping or not, because we are in the vicinity of it with knowledge we could be arrested. We have been knowingly doing this for five years fully aware of the consequences, however counterproductive that might be.

Actually I think it's better if you delete that post. The awareness of the illegal activity matters a lot in court. For example, it's one thing to trespass and then claim it was done by mistake then to trespass and claim it was done on purpose.

Just sharing some personal experience...

hmmmmmmmmmmm.................*still blinking in disbelief*

well, nice grab on hack was really impressed JB,

mabey its time for a "ministerial education course"

the fat lady hasn't sung yet!!

Some interesting things have happened, and are likely to happen on this over the next few days. Media inaccuracies and much more. Stay tuned

news - rave drug testing sends wrong message

The Australian Medical Association (AMA) has criticised the volunteers who tested so-called recreational drugs at a rave party at Pooraka in Adelaide last Saturday.

South Australia's AMA president, Christopher Cain, says the voluntary testing - which was conducted by qualified medical practitioners - is sending the message that taking illegal drugs is acceptable.

Dr Cain says it also puts the same volunteers in a legally vulnerable position if anything goes wrong.

"If I was a parent and my child was at a party and was exposed to one of these 'clean drugs' and had an adverse reaction, I'd be very concerned and in fact aggrieved and angry that the process had been facilitated by a medical practitioner," he said.

Dr Cain says doctors must take a tougher stance against illicit drug use, rather than condoning it.

"Let's not talk about harm minimisation, let's talk about harm elimination by taking away the risk in the first place and the only way you can do that is to take them out of these environments," he said.

from http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200507/s1412700.htm

Pill-testing group says police turn a blind eye
By CARA JENKIN and JEMMA CHAPMAN
12jul05

AN organisation that tested illicit pills at a rave party does not expect to be penalised – because it believes police turn a blind eye to its operations.

However, Acting Assistant Commissioner Grant Stevens yesterday warned that police were "looking at exactly what's transpired and, where necessary, we will take action as appropriate".

John Davidson, a spokesman for activist organisation Enlighten, said police generally saw the "greater good" of the drug-testing service and looked the other way.

He said in the five years that Melbourne-based Enlighten had provided the free service at parties across Australia, it had never been warned over its practices, despite pill testing being illegal in all states and territories. He also said the group was not approached on Saturday night by the police officers patrolling the Winter Enchanted rave at Pooraka.

"We understand it is illegal. We go into it with our eyes open but we believe nothing is going to change unless we take action," he said.

"If the Government thinks putting ads on TV is taking action, then the message is not getting through to people because people are taking ecstasy more and more."

Enlighten was invited to the event by its organisers and tested 50 pills. The group also provided people with information about the negative consequences of drug abuse.

Mr Davidson said only a couple of pills contained substances other than MDMA, ecstasy's main ingredient.

Supt Stevens said police were looking at the testing that occurred on Saturday night and would take "action as appropriate" – but he refused to be drawn on whether the testers could be charged.

"Without looking at the exact details of how they managed the process of pill testing, it wouldn't be fair for me to comment," he said.

While stressing he was not advocating the use of drugs, long-time pill test campaigner Dr David Caldicott, from the Royal Adelaide Hospital, said it was pleasing to see that those whose pills contained drugs other than MDMA had discarded them.

Federal Liberal MP Christopher Pyne condemned pill testing, saying it sent the wrong message.

Source: The Advertiser

Poor old Dr Cain. While some might question the credentials of an orthopaedic surgeon commenting on anything outside their field, nevermind the complexities of drugs policy, he seems to have spoken out of turn. Dr Mukesh Haikerwal, Vice President of Federal AMA has written to me admitting that there are clear benefits to pill testing programmes (as long as they are medically supervised), and if you check out the AMA's Federal site and search for 'Road to Recovery' you'll find that they have a very pro-harm minimization policy, and very ANTI-zero tolerance. Dr Cain will be recieving visitors and letters today, and I shouldn't imagine we will be hearing much more comment from him for now...

From one of the AMA pages on "Road To Recovery" mentioned by drplatypus

“The report seems to replace harm minimisation with harm prevention but there is little explanation as to what is meant by this change in direction.

“The AMA is concerned that this change in direction is a push towards the concept of zero tolerance.

“The public health implications of such a dramatic shift in national policy would be catastrophic.

“Under this philosophy we will see an in the spread of blood borne diseases and an increase in drug related crime and drug related deaths.

“Zero tolerance or it neo-euphemism “harm prevention” is something the AMA believes the Australian community should be very wary of embracing as the sole answer to illicit drug use in the community.

“The zero tolerance option will never be the panacea for all the community’s drug problems,” Dr Yong said.

AMA Challenges substance abuse report's illicit drugs recommendations (AMA media release)

I guess what also needs to be highlighted, is that the abc journalist and/ or Dr Cain incorrectly inferred that doctors were doing the testing at Enlighten's stall at Enchanted:
the voluntary testing was conducted by qualified medical practitioners

Great work Enlighten, I can't believe what the government is saying.

Cheshire Cat ^..^ said:
Actually I think it's better if you delete that post. The awareness of the illegal activity matters a lot in court.

LOL. Considering I've repeatedly stated that on national TV and radio, it's a bit late for that... :)