• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News - Federal MP tells SA Govt to crack down on drug testing - 11th July 05

dcshoecousa.gif
The small Dolce & Gabbana logo has "D&G" on it.

NEWS UPDATE JJJ

Midday news on JJJ: Dr Mukesh Haikerwal was quoted as saying something along the lines that he did not support pill testing as one pill tested could not guarantee another of the same logo, and that pill testing sent the wrong message.

After monitoring the 1pm news and hearing nothing on the subject, I got held up at the door when the 2 pm news came on. So, unfortunately I missed the introduction. But here is a transcript of what I was able to record and interpret.

....of illicit party drugs. This week the parliamentary health secretary urged police to arrest members of a volunteer pill testing group after they tested about 50 pills at a party in South Australia. The AMA president Dr Mukesh Haikerwal agrees that any pill testing which is done illegally won't necessarily be reliable. "I would like to see this process that's being done, formalised, in the form of proper researched project with ethical guidance for the people doing it so that they are not exposed, and it's done in the framework that can be analysed and used more usefully in the debate with formal [?] debate for the future."

Ok, this question is pretty dumb, so please forgive my ignorance but...
I understand that the government argues that it isn't ethical for cops and doctors to hand back potentially fatal pills to users after they've been tested at these raves.
Would there be any legal/ethical implications if the testing kits were supplied at these raves and the users themselves tested them?

P.S. Great work Enlighten on the all the Adelaide reports on Pillreports! Much appreciated.

Ok, this question is pretty dumb, so please forgive my ignorance but...
I understand that the government argues that it isn't ethical for cops and doctors to hand back potentially fatal pills to users after they've been tested at these raves.
Would there be any legal/ethical implications if the testing kits were supplied at these raves and the users themselves tested them?

Possibly not, but I can see possible problems with party goers doing their own testing in these environments. Firstly there is the problem of handling corrosive chemicals. Some people may already be a bit passed the guidelines (read: out of it) that are associated with handling such chemicals.

Then there's the problem of finding a good light under which to observe the reaction changes, and finally, there's the question of where to safely dispose of the remains. A toilet wash basin or such may be suitable if there's not a crowded situation in and around the toilets.

However, an area specifically allocated to testing takes care of these things.

The issue which has been emphasized in the past is that if the person asking for the test submits their own sample by scratching off a bit onto a plate, then the people actually doing the tests in effect don't come into contact with the sample and therefore don't have to return anything. This is the optimum, but whether in practice it is always possible is another thing altogether. And under Australian law, as JB has outlined in the past, anyone in the vicinity of the illegal substance can be effectively charged.

This letter to the editor in todays advertiser (p16, july 14) caught my eye and I thought i'd post it here:

Pill-testing reduces drug-taking.

Those calling for the prosecution of the illict pill-testing organisation, Enlighten (The Advertiser, 12/7/05), claim to be anti-drug use. Yet the international evidence is clear - where testing is permitted, usage of the pills tested drops.
The reasons are straightforward - the illict drug trade has no quality control and people are often misled about the nature of the product at the point of purchase.
When informed the substance they have bought is not what they thought, they often choose not to take it.
The Rann Government faces a policy choice here. It could license illict pill testing, conduct genuine research into this submerged form of social behaviour and in the process reduce the damage from illict drug-taking.
Alternatively, it could leave its head in the sand and continue with policies that have resulted in South Australia's very high and rising ecstasy use.
I believe it's time to take heed of the evidence and implement a pill-testing system.

SANDRA KANCK
Leader SA Democrats,
Adelaide.

Its nice to see something positive said for once amongst all the negative articles of recently.

do you have any negative ones to post, i do want to see the close minded inderviduals and what they have to say on this matter.

Stuart said:
do you have any negative ones to post, i do want to see the close minded inderviduals and what they have to say on this matter.

Do a Google search on 'Christopher Pyne' ... he never has a positive thing to say about anything that's not Liberal Party policy. I'd hesitate to describe him as "close minded" though, as he doesn't appear to have a mind of his own. 8)