Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Email, SMS bugging for crime fight

dirtyb_au

Bluelighter
Not strictly drug related, but:
Police, intelligence and security agencies are to get for the first time explicit powers to intercept and read email and mobile telephone text messages under new laws to strengthen their ability to catch criminals and terrorists.

The Federal Government has secured in-principle support from Labor and the Democrats for new laws that are expected to be voted on next month after promising to increase safeguards and clarify when warrants will be needed.

Attorney-General Philip Ruddock told The Sunday Age the Government had feared a court case against a suspected terrorist or drug dealer could be thrown out on a technicality if the telecommunications interception laws were not updated to include the newer and now commonly used technology.

The new laws will cover "stored communication", which will include email messages, mobile and fixed telephone voicemail messages, SMS (short message services) and MMS (multimedia messaging services), including photos.

It is the third attempt by the Government to make the change. It was rejected by the Senate two years ago, when it was included as part of a package of anti-terrorism laws, because it gave law enforcement agencies unfettered powers.

Mr Ruddock recently agreed to compromise and put in extra safeguards after the Senate's legal and constitutional affairs committee raised concerns.

Labor homeland security spokesman Robert McClelland said Mr Ruddock had "shown good faith" on the issue and the ALP had decided to give in-principle support to the changes.

Mr Ruddock said the existing law allowed only "listening to and recording" of old-fashioned phone conversations. The change would also allow "reading and viewing" a communicated message such as text or photos.

Law enforcement agencies will need one type of warrant to intercept the transmission of a phone message or email, but once it is received or stored a second type of warrant will be needed to retrieve a message from the phone company or internet service provider.

The Government said police would not need a warrant to read messages already stored on a phone if they had the phone. Strict technical rules will apply.

A Senate committee exposed problems earlier this year when it uncovered confusion in Government ranks about whether existing powers covered new technology. The federal police believed they had such powers but the Attorney-General's Department said they did not.

"What we're seeking to do is to cover the field to put it beyond doubt," Mr Ruddock said. "It's being assured that law enforcement agencies can use their powers effectively and that they don't get struck out because of some technical defence because we failed to update the law."

Mr Ruddock said the new laws also gave protection to ordinary people by specifically making it illegal to read or view another person's messages.

Mr McClelland said Labor believed the safeguards put in place were appropriate. They include broader powers for the Commonwealth Ombudsman in this area and require agencies to report whether prosecutions arise from interceptions.

"Subject to the Government complying with recommendations from the Senate legal and constitutional committee, the Opposition's indicated we will support the measures because it is important to ensure law enforcement keeps pace with modern technologies," he said.

Democrats legal spokesman Brian Greig said if the legislation was simply updating phone tapping to include email, voicemail and SMS "it's hard to argue against it".

"We want to see the fine detail of the legislation. If we can be assured there are checks and balances . . . we might be able to bring ourselves to support that."

And from an inset on the same page:

- In 2002-03 there were 3058 phone tapping warrants issued, up from 2514 a year earlier, resulting in 1535 arrests and 1225 people convicted.
- The Australian Federal Police was issued with 690 warrants, Victoria Police 406, and the NSW Crime Commission 798.
- Among the warrants, there were 2032 for drug-related offences, 373 for murder cases, and 24 for terrorism.
SOURCE: FEDERAL ATTORNEY-GENERAL'S DEPARTMENT

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/10/1081326980639.html

This is interesting. Don't know about everyone else, but almost everyone I know uses SMS as a means to co-ordinate drug sourcing/etc. If these police powers get expanded much more (if they're not already), it would be far too easy to turn on an Echelon style system that just monitors for key words and flags suspicious or suspicious amounts of SMS - ie: with an effort to identify dealers.

SMS is the worst way you could be communicating by because of the fact they are very small messages stored on a server. It would be very simple for these to be retained, but a voice message would be much larger to store and I would assume it would only be recorded if you were being investigated.

telstra retains all SMS' on its server for 28 days and police can have access to these, if wanted.

^ That does tend to explain how some messages are lost for days. Our son was in need of a ride home so he SMS'd mum. No reply. 3 days later the message arrives. I can't imagine organised crime depending on that sort of reliability. By the time an instruction is received, the job may be done and finished.

But small time dealers are another thing altogether. Yet the easy way round it all is to use several phones, all registered to straight people. These are rotated irregularly, and only the "need to know" have the recent number. People have been doing this for years. If the cops aren't already on to them, the phone offers little opportunity to trap these operators.

I have fouind an even more anonymous way than using phones registered to "Straights".

I know with Vodafone red sims pre-paid when you ring up to register your new sim you can simply supply them with a false name and lic number .
Its so stupid that they ask you for ID over the phone that obviously never gets checked.

Mr Man

My understanding re sms's is that they are stored for up to twelve months rather than 28 days.

In respect to the new legislation it doesn't really change the status quo, just tidies it up a bit in a technical sense for when police wish to use sms's as evidence.

The current situation is that police require a warrant to look at stored sms's just the same as they require a warrant for phone tapping.

When using text its important to try and be as circumspect as possible, saying your after 5 tickets is safer than saying you after 5 pills. If your not a dealer the most likely way you are going to come to the attention of the police is by them having a warrant on your dealers phone and then finding your sms's on his or her phone.

I don't think the weight of evidence would be strong enough for them to bring charges if you were always talking about tickets etc, even though they would know what you were up too.

If these police powers get expanded much more (if they're not already), it would be far too easy to turn on an Echelon style system that just monitors for key words and flags suspicious or suspicious amounts of SMS - ie: with an effort to identify dealers.

Not a good idea to use phones to conduct these sorts of business dealings...

SMS is easy enough to read and intercept with the right equipment... I think the first provider to offer an encypted sms service/technology will make leaps and bounds.

^^^ And the media will ass-rape them sooooo hard as well. It'll get to much bad PR i think in the eyes of any buisness undertaking such a risk... but maybe not...

I agree PP, especially with the current terrorist activities.

I cant imagine how that sort of technology would be allowed to be used.

Can you imagine the heat that would come down on you if you started sending encrypted messages.

And re your comments Nick thats what I say to myself each week, "dont do it on the phone" but the weekend comes around, I've been too busy to organise and yada yada yada!!

Last edited:
i dont see how they can stop us from using encrypted sms. whats the diff between that and using encrypted email?

There is an older article on a phone manufactured that does encrypt communications, found here. A program to encrypt SMS would be something like Fortress SMS that is an application needing to be loaded onto a compatible phone. With smart phones only a few years away from market domination it will become easier to encrypt your communications.

in an update, due to the recent david beckham scandal it was reported in the daily telegraph telstra has now changed its policy to only keep messages for a limit of 24 hours but the timestamp and to/from numbers will be kept for upto 28 days for billing purposes. you could probably read the article on the website.

Encryption? Bah. If the feds were really after you, it wouldn't matter how encrypted it was.