Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Ecstasy affects memory 15/1/04

haste

Bluelight Crew
Ecstasy affects memory, new international study shows

People who take the recreational drug ecstasy risk impairing their memory, according to an international study which surveyed users in places including the UK, other European countries, the USA and Australia.

The study, which also surveyed non-drug users, found that those who regularly took ecstasy suffered from mainly long-term memory difficulties, and that they were 23 per cent more likely to report problems with remembering things than non-users.

The British research team, led by the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, also questioned volunteers about their use of other recreational drugs. It found those who regularly used cannabis reported up to 20 per cent more memory problems than non-users. Their short-term memory was mainly affected.

Because evidence has shown ecstasy users are likely to use other drugs, including cannabis, the researchers say they are vulnerable to a myriad of memory afflictions which may represent a ‘time bomb’ of cognitive problems for later life.

Results of the study are published in the current edition of the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

Use of ecstasy, otherwise known as 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine, or MDMA, is on the increase, with up to two million tablets being consumed every weekend in the UK.

Until now, little has been known about the impact of ecstasy and other drug use on everyday and long-term memory.

Researchers from the Universities of Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumbria, Westminster, Teesside and East London surveyed drug users via a web-based questionnaire.

Volunteers were posed questions about their everyday and long-term memory and asked to rank the probability of scenarios such as finding a television story difficult to follow and forgetting to pass a message onto somebody.

The research team based their findings on responses from 763 participants but they also looked closely at a sub-group of 81 ‘typical’ ecstasy users who had taken the drug at least ten times.

As well as analysing volunteers’ responses to the memory tests, the team recorded the number of mistakes made when filling in the questionnaire.

They found the group of ‘typical users’ reported their long-term memory to be 14 per cent worse than the 480 people who had never taken ecstasy and 23 per cent worse than the 242 non-drug users.

In addition, this group made 21 per cent more errors on the questionnaire form than non-ecstasy users and 29 per cent more mistakes than people who did not take drugs at all.

Lead researcher Dr Jacqui Rodgers, of Newcastle University, said: “We all know of cases where people have suffered acutely from the use of ecstasy, such as the teenager Leah Betts, but relatively little is known about the more subtle effects on the increasing number of regular users worldwide.

“Users may think that ecstasy is fun and that it feels fairly harmless at the time. However, our results show slight but measurable impairments to memory as a result of use, which is worrying.

“It’s equally concerning that we don’t really know what the long-term effects of ecstasy use will be, as it is still a poorly understood drug. The results indicate that users are potentially creating a time bomb of potential cognitive difficulties in later life.

“The findings also suggest that ecstasy users who take cannabis are suffering from a ‘double whammy’ where both their long-term and short-term memory is being impaired.”

Dr Rodgers, of the School of Neurology, Neurobiology & Psychiatry, added that the results could inform drug therapy techniques: “The findings may help drug services in the UK and elsewhere to explain the potential consequences of use so that people can make an informed decision as to whether to take ecstasy or not.”

The study also found no significant differences between results from male and female participants.

http://www.innovations-report.com/html/reports/medicine_health/report-24750.html

Last edited:
Comparison

I wish they also had another comparison between problems to do with Ecstacy compared with Alcohol.

I have a really bad memory, but it was probably attributed to alcohol abuse when I was younger. Getting smashed on Alcohol is pretty bad, and I had done it LOTS of times. Unfortunately, at that time I wasn't aware of alcohol having bad effects.

I think a comparison between something like Ecstacy and Alcohol abuse would be interesting.

Anyway, those are my thoughts... while I remember them..

Cheers,
Dave.

I agree with the study. since i used E regularly my memory has been shot to hell....however I wonder how much of this is also poly-drug use and regular drinking.....
ithink i need a break. hehehehe. j/k of course ;)

This study has also confirmed my own personal experience, however since I have stopped using MDMA my short term memory has improved. I participated in a study that is looking into the same thing that was conducted at Monash University, Caulfield. Results for that study are expected to be released at the end of this year from what I was told.

I wonder how many people have heard myths about losing memory and hence answered the questions in the affirmative???

Sorry, Im a skepic yes, and I also accept that some may really lose there memory, but i also figure thats not necessarily due to E.

Will need a lot more research to convince me.

Mind you it will need a lot more research to convince me that E is 100% safe as well.

I wonder to what extent self-selection was managed for in this study: that is, I think that some of the participants who had taken ecstasy felt that their memory had significantly worsened and thus wanted to be involved.

I personally have not found my memory to have worsened after 6 years of semi-regular use, in fact I think in certain capacities it has improved. However there are many other factors involved in this and of course it is very hard to isolate a causal relationship. I hope the media doesn't get too carried away with this one :( Mr Herald Sun, we're looking in your direction ;)

In a lot of this type of research I believe the willingness to take drugs is indicative of a certain type of personality. This personality determines many of the results that this research presents as evidence where I believe it is not actually the effect of the drug at all. The only truly accurate research I believe will be of before and after memory abilities of individuals across a large number of participants.

The truth is, the percentages they are talking about are extremely insignificant and one wonders why they even warrant publication? They all fall under 25% which is hardly cause for alarm and would tend to suggest other factors are involved.

This international study shows that a minority of people who took ecstasty experienced memory problems. The figures are far from conclusive, and would in fact tend to indicate that the opposite to what the research claims to show. That 77% of respondants indicated no effect on memory is more telling than the fact that 23% did report some effect isnt it?

I also under went the caulfield study. Cowboy Mac. An interesting experiment that i believe has several flaws...
Besides that, I have a close friend that recently went into therapy (too much E & Ice). His psychologist knows the woman who does this experiment and apperently the results on memory are NOT good at ALLLLLL.
We can only wait and see.

Psychadelic_Paisly: can you please describe the flaws that you believe were involved in the study? I spent some time speaking with her in regards to the methodology she was using and was able to answer all concerns I had.

I hate to come across as objectionable, but too many people tend to deny ecstasy causing memory related problems without any reasoning other than specious subversive idealism, IMHO.

Think about it;

5-HT (serotonin) is known to play a role in modulating cognitive processes, including memory. MDMA is a 5-HT agonist, which in all likelihood causes 5-HT receptors on the dendrite walls to downgrade and also degenerates axon terminals. There is also the issue of how MDMA causes 5-HT release - does it damage reuptake transporters? Or effect their functioning by making them work backwards, as that new theory suggests?

Plenty of users report memory loss, myself and a good friend included. While it may be to do with other drugs, the memory problems have a chronological affinity with MDMA use... That is to say that memory problems were noted mostly after periods of regular MDMA use, rather than other drugs... And I (but not my friend) have noticed my memory improving slightly as my MDMA used waned.

Don't get me wrong - I believe the ratio of pros:cons is strongly in MDMA's favour when used responsibly. I also believe that there are a lot of misconstrued, falsified and downright stupid claims about MDMA toxicity floating about in society... But, I think it's hard to deny that MDMA has the capacity to effect the human memory.

:)

my memory has really done a nose dive since i've been taking pills. both long and short term...however, like Psychadelic_paisly...that might be to do with poly drug use.

i think that if i took a break it would improve greatly. but isnt it true, as u get older ur memory gets worse. meh....i dont really care.
and its awfully logical that pills affect memory

I..... Fuck. What was I going to say?

On an entirely unrelated note. I thought the test was flawed since it didnt ask how your memory was BEFORE you took MDMA. My memory has always been shit, and I dont think its any worse now, but the results of the survey would show that my memory has been affected.

^^ I asked her about that and its taken into consideration as a variable or something, thats why its a large sample group, so clear trends can be established. She is testing another large sample group of non-drug users to further identify clear trends. No study can go back in time to test your memory before you had drugs, that is done by testing users who have never had drugs.

Last edited:
I have a very flakey memory and I take ecstacy.. However, I also smoke the herb heavily.. So whats the culprit here?

I think testing like this should be taken with a grain of salt. There are too many variables depending upon background, family issues, personality etc to really make a judgement on drug use and a highly selective quality such as memory. The only test I will believe in this sense is if the person is tested before, then after MDMA (ab)use.

Maybe the study has proven that people with memory problems are more likely to use MDMA?

and MDMA might be one of those variables.

Personally I don't discount any research, no matter how ridiculous the test subject, execution and findings might be - the simple fact is, that at the core of it all, there is a scientific basis underlying any finding - it just might be distorted and skewed. It should be our job to crap detect in the hope to extract valuable information - not jump on everything that is contary to what we'd like to believe.

Yes there are many variables that can contribute to such a finding and yes such survey's can be flawed in some regards - but armed with your knowledge of the chemical ballet that MDMA plays in your brain, every piece of research should be taken seriously.

Otherwise, what are you doing here?

how do they test long term memory?
how do they test short term memory?

can i do these tests at home, on the PC or something?

Respect! Good post haste.
It should be our job to crap detect in the hope to extract valuable information - not jump on everything that is contary to what we'd like to believe.
Sums up my view on the matter entirely...

:)

Cowboy Mac: I meant to reply sooner but as i hit reply the site went down for 2.5 hours, and i am currently in the USA...so i went to bed...

Anywho... My main concern with the study was whether she took into account people getting tired and losing concentration during the experiment cause i know iwas exhausted by the end.

damn...i wrote so much last night but forget what it was i wrote before the site went down....oh oh...I was drunk so i blame booze on that one ;)