Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Drugs @ Schoolies 2006

Drug watch on schoolies
Matt Cunningham and Milanda Rout
November 18, 2006 12:00am

THOUSANDS of teenagers are leaving anxious parents as they head to Queensland and Victoria's surf coast for schoolies celebrations.

About 30,000 school leavers are expected to hit the Gold Coast from today, while thousands more will head to party spots at Phillip Island and Lorne.

As the schoolies head off after finishing their exams, police and welfare workers have warned that drugs, alcohol, unsafe sex and gang activity could spoil the fun.

Gold Coast Acting Supt Jim Keogh said police were concerned about illicit drug use and planned to come down hard on drug dealers and users.

"Anyone found in possession of drugs or, more importantly, found supplying drugs will be immediately moved from the precinct and arrested," he said.

Supt Keogh said police sniffer dogs would patrol the edge of the party area.

Queensland police are drawing officers from as far away as Cairns to help control the Gold Coast celebrations.

There were also concerns organised gangs would head to the area.

But Supt Keogh said gangs would be easily identified and quickly dealt with by police.

"Certainly if we see any of those people in the CBD police will take action," he said.

Sen-Sgt Tim Hardiman, of the Victoria Police youth affairs unit, said schoolies needed to be mindful of local residents.

"It's about young kids in Victoria remembering that they are a visitor to these places," he said.

"It is much better if they can all work together by behaving appropriately, watching their language and if they are old enough (to legally drink), watching their intake of alcohol."

Sen-Sgt Hardiman recommended parents keep in regular contact with their children.

"I have been through this with my kids and they had a great time," he said.

"And I hope the kids this year will have a fun and safe time."
But sexual health organisation Marie Stopes International is warning the fun for some could be ruined by sexually transmitted infections and unwanted pregnancies. The organisation will offer free condoms to all Gold Coast schoolies.

"Unfortunately, we have traditionally seen an increase in the number of people needing advice for unplanned pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections reported in the weeks following the schoolies vacation," the group's CEO Suzanne Dvorak said.

"It is therefore vital that teenagers have access to condoms and that they use them at all times."

Almost 50,000 students will receive their VCE results on December 11.

Herald Sun

As the schoolies head off after finishing their exams, police and welfare workers have warned that drugs, alcohol, unsafe sex and gang activity could spoil the fun.

"It is much better if they can all work together by behaving appropriately, watching their language and if they are old enough (to legally drink), watching their intake of alcohol."

Jesus, talk about deluded.

Yes and if all those whipper snappers don't watch their language then by golly they'll get a firm clip around the ears!! 8)

The hype just keeps getting more hyped! Every year kids go off to schoolies, and yes, every year there are drunken, drugged up, sexed up kids behaving badly.

By running a GESTAPO like police operation to "stop" the immoral behaviour its only going to entrench this behaviour more rigidly.. if you tell a young person not to do something I'm sure they will just do the opposite 8o This has ALWAYS been the way.

I just hope there are smart parents out there who don't take their ques from this rubbish

Mr TIMO said:
one way or another, the kids at schoolies are still gonna get fucked up on drugs.

Agreed!

Splatt said:
I got a nasty look from a police man that heard me warning everyone about dogs up ahead.

Funniest thing I saw was a group of 6 police man standing around at the end of Orchid Ave, with a 3ml plunger right next to their feet.

Heheh! =D

hoptis said:
The mind boggles just trying to comprehend how many young people will try ecstasy for the first time over the next couple of months... even though these days, I suppose they start a bit earlier?

Last VCE exam was yesterday so it's definitely schoolies season down in Vic.

They already did it at their formals ;)

I bet the value of amphetamines and remaining E has just gone through the roof. 8)

Lol.. This is the Gold Coast. There is never a shortage of meth, they'll just find some dirtier shit.

Having gone to schoolies last year its just funny thinkin about all the effort the police are putting in when really they are stopping nothing. I remember walking from my apartment to cavill ave (about 500m) along the beach and getting offered pills (this happened every night though) speed, ice, acid, and GHB. It just seems that none of the messages the police are trying to push is getting through. I dont condone rampant drug use but arresting people who have 1 pill on them or a baggy with a tiny bit of meth in it really isn't going to do anything.

However the police are pretty fucking organised up there, everywhere ya went people were being searched or interrogated. Me and my mates were taken down an alley and given a kind of informal strip search, shirts off, shoes and socks off. Pretty full on.

They're not allowed to do that unless they have a reason to suspect you are carrying weapons or drugs. Surfers cops are a bunch of fucking cock-suckers, I know this from experience. Bunch of alcoholic speed heads, that will gang up on you and try and get you to swing at them after they push you around for a while. They're just a bunch of retarded bullies that were too dumb to join the army.

Yeah i was going to ask at the end of my post whether what they did was legal but yeah, obviously it isn't. My view at the time was to get it out of the way (didnt have shit on me) and just let them fuck off on their own. They were arrogant arseholes and i really didnt feel like having an full blown verbal fight with them as i know who would have come out on top.

Yeah dude know your rights. If they have no suspicion they had no right to do what they did.

Doesn't stop Surfers PIGS. I've been pushed against a wall and searched and they found ten pills on me. I told them what they did was illegal and they threw verbal insults at me and other swear words but in the end I walked out of the place with a smile knopwing I wasn't going to be summoned. Losers.

Raid nabs ecstasy
By Greg Stolz
November 22, 2006 11:00pm

GOLD Coast police have seized about 2000 ecstasy pills that may have been destined for the Schoolies Festival.

The drugs, weighing almost 1kg and valued at close to $100,000, were found in a raid on a factory at Ernest on the northern Gold Coast on Tuesday. Two men were arrested over the seizure.

Francis Robert Keenan, 34, and Steven John Himmelreich, 43, faced Southport Magistrate's Court yesterday charged with possessing a dangerous drug and supplying a dangerous drug.

Police opposed bail for Keenan, saying he was on bail for attempted murder, grievous bodily harm, assault occasioning bodily harm and had been convicted of drug possession on the day the ecstasy was allegedly found at his factory.

Defence solicitor Bill Potts said his client was on bail only for common assault and not the more serious charges stated by the prosecutor.

Mr Potts said Keenan denied any knowledge of the ecstasy and the factory had been occupied by Himmelreich.

Magistrate Michael O'Driscoll granted Keenan bail on condition he report to police five days a week and not leave Queensland.

He was remanded to reappear on May 4. Himmelreich was bailed to appear on January 18.

Burleigh Heads CIB Acting Inspector Terry Goldsworthy did not discount the possibility that the ecstasy pills may have been headed for Schoolies.

"We don't know where they were going to end up but they were obviously going to go somewhere, so it's good for us that we managed to intercept them before they went out on to the street".

Meanwhile, police have issued a high number of on-the-spot drinking fines during the first four nights of the Gold Coast festival and report continually confiscating pre-mixed spirits cans, which they blame for the belligerent and lewd behaviour of some schoolies.

More than 20 schoolies were arrested on Tuesday night, mostly for public nuisance offences and 55 took home a "liquor ticket" for drinking in public.

"Some of the public nuisances they're being arrested for are quite serious, like they're struggling and one particular fellow last night was also charged with obstruct and assault police," Supt Keogh said.

It's disheartening for police, very disheartening for parents and disappointing for so many students to have their schoolies marred by an arrest, Supt Keogh said.

"It's an experience that they really shouldn't be going through," he said.

"From their point of view being taken to a staging area and being processed is something they're going to remember long after the good times of schoolies."

Last year 10 schoolies were arrested on the corresponding night.

Police have linked the high levels of intoxicated schoolies to the public nuisance arrests.

"These aren't seasoned drinkers, these are people who are teenagers and consuming alcohol of that strength is obviously going to have an adverse impact on them," Supt Keogh said.

Schoolies were "blatantly" carrying cans of pre–mixed drinks in the streets and not attempting to disguise their drinks in objects such as watermelons or drink bottles, he said.

Surfers Paradise Management chief executive Lillian Montague said police were "right on to" the "unruly" behaviour of some schoolies.

"Not only are the drinks a cocktail but they are creating their own cocktails by experiencing so many different styles of drinks and types of drinks while they're here," Ms Montague said.

"Most adults who are seasoned drinkers struggle with that."

Also on Tuesday, 27 toolies were arrested, mostly for public nuisance offences with three for weapons offences.

Police confiscated two knuckle dusters and an extendable baton.

And a national health campaign with a safe sex message for schoolies may have come too late for some teenagers.

The It Takes 2 to Tango program will be launched in Surfers Paradise tomorrow but most of the Queensland schoolies will be winding up celebrations by then.

Courier-Mail / News.com.au

Me and a friend were walking around Schoolies last year, when a group who was armed stole drugs off us. They then asked for our wallets but they were both quite full and we didn't want to let go of them. In the end we realised they didn't want to stab anyone, they were just scaring people into giving them stuff. The group was 4 people and they were picking on people that aren't in groups. After we got out of the situation, one of them (who didn't have a knife) gave me a smart arse comment so I kind of did the same thing back but worse, he came charging towards me and all he could do was try to rip me shirt off and have gay sex, it didn't look like he could fight for shit. As soon as I showed I wanted to bash his skull open he ran off back to his group.

Just stay in groups if you're going to Surfers, and this sort of stuff only happens in the quiet streets a few blocks away from the main streets, and later on after the music, on the beach.

I prefer to stay away from surfers during schoolies. Too much jailbait for an older fella...

Yeah its all about staying in groups in my opinion. I do think the media sensationalises it a bit, i was expecting to see fights and shit everywhere, not that i didnt see any but it was pretty low key and cops were onto it straight away.

I found when i headed south of the main strip, to a club called [Venue name removed.] in Broadbeach i think? (Splatt you can correct me on this, i cant remember exactly) which is like 15 mins away was alot rougher and more violent than the main area because i think itt was predominantly locals around not really schoolies.

[EDIT: Please check the guidelines. Lil Angel15]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah stabbings have happened near Broadbeach recently and also some shootings in the last year or two. I've seen a few people go ape shit late at night out the front of [Venue name removed.] and [Venue name removed.] over the usual shit (drunk losers fighting over some chick), and it's usually pretty funny to watch, unless weapons are involved ofcourse. There are fights everywhere. Shit, Coolangatta down the coast even more normally records about ten times the amount of fights on New Years Eve, there is just less police in those areas. There haven't even been police in Brisbane lately because they need them all for schoolies.

[EDIT: Please check the guidelines. Lil Angel15] REPLY: Fair enough, I thought event names were normally only banned when it has something to do with scoring or taking drugs.

Last edited:
Beattie bans bongs and pipes
November 23, 2006 - 4:10PM

The sale of bongs and other drug smoking equipment will be banned in Queensland, Premier Peter Beattie says.

The state opposition says a number of businesses in the heart of Surfers Paradise have glass pipes and other implements associated with illegal drug use prominently displayed in their windows.

One shop was even promoting schoolies' specials, opposition health spokesman John-Paul Langbroek said.

The pipes are used for smoking crystal methamphetamine, commonly known as "ice" when the nation was in the grip of an ice epidemic, Mr Langbroek said.

Mr Beattie said if it was true retailers were promoting glass pipes at a discount, that was "absolutely outrageous and unacceptable."

"I don't think we should have greed over human misery," Mr Beattie told reporters today.

"I think they should stop immediately.

"I do want to warn these retailers you will not be selling these implements much longer because the Queensland government plans to have them banned."

It is illegal under current Queensland current laws to use glass pipes for illegal drugs but retailers often bypass the laws by advertising them as tobacco-smoking implements or port sippers.

AAP

The Age

Bongs are currently in a window display exactly across the strip from the police station, and they are legal to sell without the stem and cone piece attached. They can sell those seperately. With ice pipes, I guess there isn't much else you smoke on those. Tobacco vapourisers anyone? :)

Beattie is a fucking wank knob. Most of the times I have been in trouble in Surfers the last few years is after the 3AM lock-out, which is supposed to protect us all!

Last edited:
Most schoolies 'offered drugs'
By Matt Cunningham
November 25, 2006 12:00am

ILLICIT drugs are being offered to schoolies on the Gold Coast at an alarming rate.

More than half the schoolies surveyed by the Herald Sun yesterday said they had been offered drugs.

Most said they had been asked whether they wanted ecstasy or cannabis, but some also said they had been offered cocaine, speed and acid.

Of 100 schoolies surveyed, 54 said they had been offered illicit drugs.

Almost all of those who had been offered drugs said the approaches had been made by older men they did not know.

"I have been offered everything," said Gold Coast schoolie Jimmy Siennicki, 17.

"I was in my apartment elevator the other day and this dude offered me pills (ecstasy) and marijuana.

"People even offered me acid last night, that's how bad it is."

Four Port Macquarie schoolies said they had been offered drugs within hours of arriving on the Gold Coast yesterday.

"Some lad was trying to sell us pills just before; an older fella," said one of the schoolies.

"He was just like: 'Do you want to buy some pills for $30?'

Eddie Howell, 17, said he witnessed a drug deal in the middle of a fast-food restaurant.

"We were just sitting down and this guy shook this other guy's hand and I looked out of the corner of my eye and saw this bag of all this white stuff," he said.

Anthony Brown, 17, said a man aged about 30 had offered him cocaine outside a Surfers Paradise nightclub on Wednesday night.

"He said: 'Do you want to party?' I said: 'What have you got?' and he said: 'A bit of cocaine', so I said no."

Caroline Salom, the director of drug education centre Drug Arm, said the Gold Coast had experienced an influx of drugs ahead of the schoolies celebrations.

"We know there's stuff that comes into the area because the kids are here," she said.

"They know they have a market for it."

Despite the alarming number of schoolies being offered drugs, it appears most are turning down the approaches.

Just 10 of the schoolies surveyed by the Herald Sun said they had taken ecstasy or cannabis.

Herald Sun / News.com.au