Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Dangers of ecstasy (7 Sunrise)

obrien_is

Bluelighter
Broadcast Date: May 29, 2006
Interview: Sunrise Medical Editor, Dr John D'Arcy

Alarming figures were released last week showing ecstasy use in Australia is on the rise.

Sunrise Medical Editor, Dr John D'Arcy joined Sunrise to talk about the dangers of ecstacy.

Why is ecstasy use so prevalent?
The biggest problem is that these drugs are so readily available and they are cheap. In fact one pill can cost as little as $15 and if its a mixture of speed, amphetamines it can make people high or "off their head" all night long. Compare that to a night drinking alcohol and you can see how it can be attractive to young people, especially if they are studying or on a low income.

What exactly is ecstasy and does it only come in pill form?
Ecstasy is the common name for the illegal synthetic drug called methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA). It is both a stimulant and a hallucinogen and is commonly used as a mood enhancer at parties and nightclubs. MDMA was originally developed in Germany as an appetite suppressant.

Today in Australia ecstasy is made in backyard laboratories, which means the user has no idea if the dose will be strong or weak. Ecstasy is usually swallowed as a tablet, but it can also come in powder form.

What does ecstasy do to your body?
When we are stressed or under threat, the central nervous system readies us for physical action by creating particular physiological changes. These may include the release of adrenalin and other stress hormones.

Key functions like heart rate and blood pressure may increase, redirecting blood flow into the muscles and away from the gut. As a nervous system stimulant, ecstasy works by prompting the brain to initiate this 'fight or flight' response and the user feels refreshed by a burst of energy.

Coming down from ecstasy is an unpleasant experience. Symptoms can include fatigue, aching muscles and depression.

How bad can its effects be?
The common effects depend on the strength of the dose, the physiology of the user and their state of mind at the time of taking the drug. Generally some of theimmediate effects of ecstasy include: Feelings of confidence, happiness and benevolence, Accelerated heart rate and breathing, Rise in blood pressure, Sweating and dehydration, Nausea, Jaw clenching and teeth grinding, Loss of appetite, Hallucinations, an increased urge for sex and Loss of inhibitions.

The scary effects can be very subtle and can be very swift. People with certain disorders - such as epilepsy, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease, or mood or psychiatric disorders - are at greater risk if they take ecstasy. In high doses, ecstasy can cause seizures and vomiting. The symptoms of overdose include a sharp rise in body temperature and blood pressure, dizziness, cramps, heart palpitations and vomiting.

Ecstasy can cause death in a number of ways, including: Cardiac arrest, Stroke, Kidney failure, Overheating (hyperthermia) and dehydration, because the affected neurotransmitters - serotonin and dopamine - can't do their job of regulating body temperature, Dilutional hyponatremia, when the user 'drowns' their brain by drinking too much water is very common and was seen in the Anna Wood case.

Mel and Kochie's response to the interview was alarmist to say the least.
Poor Dr John gave a (IMHO) balanced and fair interview and got crucified by the hosts.... Its nice to see that reactionary media stereotypes drive the HR debate in Australia!

I felt like reaching through and killing Mel. What a bloody drama queen.

MDMA changes lives. Fuck Sunrise. However it's up to drug users to change public opinion by using substances responsibly. Unfortunatly those who go out and mix and match without eating right and making sure the body has enough liquids are going to keep drug use taboo.

Dilutional hyponatremia, when the user 'drowns' their brain by drinking too much water is very common and was seen in the Anna Wood case.

very common hey....

-Raver- said:
I felt like reaching through and killing Mel. What a bloody drama queen.

Yes, she must be an alcoholic with the way she reacted when the doctor said that taking a bit occassionally isn't necessarily any worse than alcohol!

"Oh but it is because we have mothers writing in to us telling us how their children have ground down all their teeth!" 8(

The doctor was pretty fair I thought... pity even the hosts of the show chose to ignore what he was saying, doesn't give much hope of the viewers understanding :\

Was good to hear a doctor giving a level headed opinion on shit tv though... be nice if the times they were a changing...

I can imagine what there responses would have been. I make sure not to watch sunrise because those 2 make me want to smash my head through the tv! uurgh just imagining them talking makes me cringe.

Since when is dilutional hyponatremia "very common"? where did they pull that statistic from?

tiptop said:
Dilutional hyponatremia, when the user 'drowns' their brain by drinking too much water is very common and was seen in the Anna Wood case.

very common hey....

Well it is the most common cause of death from ecstasy abuse.

All amphetamines, and MD seems to do it more so, cause water retention and can make you unable to piss. Which makes the whole water intoxication thing easier.

obrien_is said:
Broadcast Date: May 29, 2006
Interview: Sunrise Medical Editor, Dr John D'Arcy

Coming down from ecstasy is an unpleasant experience. Symptoms can include fatigue, aching muscles and depression.

Dont know about you guys but Id rather come down of MDMA any day than be hung over seady after drinking to much the night before. THe day or 2 after I enjoy riding the scatteredness

Splatt said:
All amphetamines, and MD seems to do it more so, cause water retention and can make you unable to piss. Which makes the whole water intoxication thing easier.

I dont have any trouble pissing on drugs. In fact its a good way to get ecstasy out of your system. As far as water intoxication, leah betts drank 6litres or something. A tall glass or 2 an hour is fine.

MDMA was originally developed in Germany as an appetite suppressant.

Today in Australia ecstasy is made in backyard laboratories, which means the user has no idea if the dose will be strong or weak.....

The First statement is incorrect and the second misleading.

MDMA was not originally developed as an appetite suppressant. As Shulgin has said, in 1914 when Merck first applied for the patent, the concept of appetite suppressants didn't exist.

While I've no doubt that an increasing amount of MDMA is being produced in Australia, statements from the ACC and CMC indicate most is still sourced overseas - imported. Also, the most worrying thing about backyard lab production is not so much the dosage of the product, but more the impurities which may be present.

Coming down from ecstasy is an unpleasant experience.

This statement should read: Coming down from ecstasy can be an unpleasant experience. For many people who do an occasional small amount, the claim has little relevance

My main point is that many users know these things, so even if the other stuff is reasonably accurate, how does anyone expect a young half educated user to place his faith in such comments? Using the example of Anna Woods is no more constructive than flogging the proverbial....

I removed our free-to-air television antenna long ago, so only ever see the program in mention a few times a year. I tend to agree with other posters re it's content. And I won't even go into friends' of friends' comments regarding the off screen antics of one of the hosts. Let's just say, I'm sure to that person, this story was no revelation. Hypocrites :p

*chaoscat* said:
Yes, she must be an alcoholic with the way she reacted when the doctor said that taking a bit occasionally isn't necessarily any worse than alcohol!..

I have known many journalists (print and tv) and all of them were heavy drinkers if not actual alcoholics (including my own father).

It’s of little surprise. They have looooong long lunches, paid for by the station, great parties with great grog.

Channel nine has its own swish bar that staff can drink at for free...In fact I’ve seen these journo's do shit as crazy (and far wose) then a a bunch of 17 year olds pissed on passion pop….

They're deluded hypocrites, who think they're opinions mean something, thus they're the mountain of bullshit they come out with.

I too have seen similar reactions by these journos to illegal drugs in complete ignorance to the dangerous drug they consume with little to no forethought

i think he was being sarcastically specious.....doing a Chris Payne

Alcohol is legal thus its fine. illegal drugs are bad because they're illegal.

I have found there to be a long outstanding debate of alcohol vs ecstasy amongst my current group of friends. It has seen a social split amongst us.

I hate it to death how the ones that are against ecstasy and other party drugs dont accept the negative implications of alcohol itself and the nature that it is actually a drug. Does it take a fucken genius to see that alcohol is as bad as any other drug if abused and not used correctly.

Dangers of using illegal drugs are of course incresed due to things such as impurities in manfucture...etc, however it all does really come down to harm reduction when ingesting anything of a psychoactive manner.

Just because alcohol is legal it doesnt mean that it is necessarily safe for the user. It just pisses me off how such an issue can be ignored my some people.

I'm currently smoking a cig looking at my all new look packet and i find the statistics pictured on the packet very interesting. Many of you would have seen this little bar graph.

Here it is for the other part of my social circle.

CASES OF DEATHS IN AUSTRALIA

Tobacco - 19,019
Alcohol - 2,831
Motor Vehicle Accidents - 1,731
Illegal Drugs - 863
Murders - 203

Even bullshit government statistics show that more harm is done from alcohol vs illegal drugs.

I have seen so many people write themselves off from alcohol and so many families ruined.

I myself occasionally enjoy the good old binge on alcohol, however i always take with me the same knowledge and same precaution as if i was ingesting anything else.

Some people just need to wake up or become better educated.

Last edited:
Typo alert!! Tobacco - 19,019

I first saw this today. It should help to drive the message home.

However, you must also look at the number of users in each category for you to be able to say one is more deadly than the others. Murder would be on the top if you look at it that way, so murder is not really a vaild comparison; i.e. every murder victim dies because they were murdered, where as every person who has a drink doesn't die. See where it's going....

Where on the scale would the deaths caused by illicit drugs be if every alcohol drinker took drugs instead?