Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Daily Telegraph - 10/10/07 'Nation of pot-heads'

lil angel15

Bluelight Crew
Nation of pot-heads
October 10, 2007 12:00am

0,,5694956,00.jpg

Holy smoke...NZ researchers have discovered that driving under the influence of marijuana is riskier than drink-driving.

DRIVING under the influence of cannabis is more common and riskier than drink driving, according to new research.

New Zealand researchers found that for young adults there was a greater risk of driving under the influence of cannabis than alcohol, and that the results were more harmful.

The Christchurch-based team, led by Professor David Fergusson, supported initiatives to introduce drug-driving regulations in New Zealand.

"We're quite surprised by these results, as we expected to find that drink-driving is more risky than driving under the influence of cannabis," Prof Fergusson said.

Their research questioned a group of 936 drivers aged 25 about how often they drove under the influence of cannabis or alcohol.

Those surveyed reported driving under the influence of cannabis on an average of nine occasions between the ages of 21 and 25. The average rate for drink driving was 3.62 times.

The research also found that while driving under the influence of cannabis there was an increased risk of minor car accidents, while the same was not true for drink driving.

"These results appear to be the consequence of two social trends that have acted in concert to reduce the risks of drink-driving, while increasing the risks of cannabis-driving," Prof Fergusson said.

While major efforts from publicity, legislation and law enforcement had reduced the rates of drink-driving, rates of cannabis use had increased dramatically among young adults, with little effort made to regulate driving under the influence of cannabis.

The "net effects" were that for the group of young people studied, cannabis posed a greater risk than drink driving, he said.

Daily Telegraph

I see it a different way to these puppets.

people drive on cannabis because they believe it to be safe. Most people know that driving on Alcohol is dangerous and so they dont do it. If you were to educate people about the dangers of driving on drugs, they wouldnt do it. instead nothing is said, and people assume they can do it, like they used to do with alcohol before the education campaigns. I think that unless the public is educated about both alcohol and cannabis then its like comparing apples and oranges.

Driving under the influence of ANYTHING is a stupid idea.

Some people tend to think marijuana is easier than drink driving, but this is a game of confidence Vs overanalysation.

See, you could drive home blind drunk, using only your memory from the pub to home, knowing all the streets, bends, your house, all while speeding... unless there happens to be a car or person on the road.

Marijuana driving you generally driver slower or speed limit, and concentrate a lot. But this over concentration and paranoia making you drive safely may also hit someone because you're so focused on driving properly. Get what I mean?

I dont think you should drive under the effects of any drugs, or tiredness. Prescriptions included. If it says drowsy, it should say catch a frigging bus or train. Not "May impair driving skills" in the pamphlet.

Heres a video though, of sober driving Vs cannabis driving, but just for this fellow, he claims he does not smoke often or smoke when stoned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLmHL7YznUI

I had been smoking everday since I was 17 but not that much say 1 or 2 bongs every few hours or so , say 1/2 gram a day if that, anyhow If I was going to drive anywhere I would just make sure I didnt drive for atleast a couple hours after having a couple cones.Im 31 now and have quit for good as I found if anything it made me less motivated to do sports or anything.I have never got behind the wheel when I have been drinking for 2 reasons

1.Alcohol affected me more and I could sense it after have a few schooners so I knew not to drive anywhere and wait a couple hours before getting behind the wheel & made sure I had mcdonalds or some food and drank some water.

2.I knew that If police did RBT on me Id be stuffed and lose my license & or worse kill someone & end up in jail.

But now they can test for drugs so I think I would have just not smoked until late at night when I know I wouldnt have to drive...

In all the years I have been driving I have only had 1 accident & that was when I was 18 and just got my P plates 2 weeks earlier & hadnt smoked at all, everyone has 1 or 2 accidents in their life no matter if your under influence or not.

Some alcoholics can drink and drive and never have a accident & same with people who smoke weed, its just about confidence and the person you are mentally & also the fact your always in that mind frame and are use to functioning well.Other drugs such as LSD or Heroin or Mdma well that is a completely different story and I recommend that no one drives under those drugs at all.

Last thing I will say is if you are going to do any drugs or alcohol just wait a few hours or so then you know your atleast somewhat in control.A few people I know drive a few hours after taking pills etc and I am always the one to say nar lets chill about for a bit just to try and be some what responsible and you all should do the same.

But at the end of the day there are taxis,Buses & trains out there so next time you want to get off your head then use them instead.

Last edited:
The only accidents ive been involved in were alcohol related and a minor meth+G relate. (passewnger seat)