Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Courier-Mail - The Drugs Scrouge

Top crime fighter Robert Needham and CMC nobbled
Article from: The Courier-Mail
By Greg Stolz
April 03, 2009 11:00pm

DRUG lords, outlaw bikies and pedophiles are free to ply their evil trades in Queensland after the Supreme Court effectively shut down the state's top organised crime fighting body.

In a decision that has rocked the Crime and Misconduct Commission, one of its key powers has been ruled illegal by the court.

The shock judgment means the CMC can no longer use its blanket powers to hold secret "star chamber" hearings into specific organised crime and pedophilia offences and force witnesses to testify under threat of jail.

Supreme Court Justice Stanley Jones decided this last month when he threw out an application by the CMC to jail a man who refused to answer questions relating to a major drug investigation.

The decision has hamstrung the CMC and potentially opened the floodgates to lawsuits from people who may have been illegally hauled before the secret hearings and jailed.

Alarmed Attorney-General Cameron Dick is seeking urgent legal advice and the CMC has lodged an appeal.

"The decision has had a major impact on the CMC's crime work," a CMC spokeswoman told The Courier-Mail. "It has significantly limited the CMC's ability to hold hearings and conduct investigations into organised crime and pedophilia.

"We have lodged an appeal, which is set down to be heard before the Court of Appeal ... in June."

Mr Dick said the CMC had raised its concerns with him this week and the Government would change the law if it had to ensure the commission's powers.

"I am seeking urgent legal advice on the impact of the judgment," he said.

"We will not hesitate to take any necessary legislative action to ensure the CMC can continue to conduct its important work in relation to serious criminal activity in Queensland."

In a severe blow to the CMC, Justice Jones ruled the commission had overstepped its powers in a judgment handed down in Cairns on March 4.

As part of a major investigation codenamed Operation Destiny, the CMC was seeking to have a man, identified only as Witness C, jailed for refusing to answer questions about his knowledge of drug manufacture and distribution and money laundering.

He was hit with contempt proceedings after declining to name who supplied him with 1000 ecstasy tablets, amphetamines, cocaine and cannabis found at a property last August.

His barrister, Joshua Trevino, argued there could be no contempt because the hearing was not authorised.

This was because the CMC had avoided legislative checks and balances on its powers by not first referring the drug investigation to an oversight group, known as the Crime Reference Committee. The six-member committee includes CMC chairman Robert Needham, Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson and community representatives.

In his judgment, Justice Jones concluded the CMC had instead wrongly used its umbrella powers - known as the Freshnet reference - to launch Operation Destiny without ensuring the investigation was in the public interest.

Judge Jones found the CRC's supervision had been "circumvented" and the commission's "exceptional" powers "were not validly invoked".

Prominent Gold Coast criminal lawyer Bill Potts said the CMC had been left "in limbo" because of the Government's failure to give it proper legislative teeth.

"The CMC was given the powers of a permanent royal commission, including the power to override people's right to remain silent and to not incriminate themselves," he said.

"But the commission is also a creature of statute, and the Government has allowed it to act without giving it proper legislative backing."

Courier-Mail

Drugs minus crims gives users chance
Dr Wendell Rosevear

AUSTRALIAN politicians are responsible for the gross profits in illegal drugs and could remove the profits tomorrow by legalising drugs and end the black market.

Of course all drugs are dangerous, but making them illegal makes them more dangerous as the dose and content is in the control of people whose only motive is profit.

In 1998, all state health ministers agreed to an ACT trial allowing addicts access to unadulterated drugs at near-to-cost price, or free.

But the plan was vetoed by then-prime minister John Howard.

Many addicts resort to crime to support their habit. Most property crime is drug-related.

The profit margin from grower to street is about 3000 per cent. As long as drugs are illegal the gross profits will guarantee supply and risk-taking, despite any "war on drugs".

Australia's bikie wars and Mexico's 7000 deaths in 15 months of drug wars prove that while there is money and demand, drugs will flow. In the past 10 years, drug production has doubled worldwide. The illegal market means unidentified drugs resulting in predictable, preventable overdose deaths. In one year, I had 11 patients die from preventable overdoses.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has said the Taliban is funded by Afghanistan opium. We could make a profit by selling Tasmanian opium and bring our troops home. Wars never stop humans seeking relief through drugs.

Only one person can stop someone using drugs, and that is the user themself. Politicians who get votes out of "getting tough" are hanging on to power by denying that truth - there are votes in fear.

About 80-90 per cent of people in prison have an alcohol or drug problem. Prison is the most expensive, counter-productive way to respond to addiction because addicts don't live in a world of consequences but rather in a world of instant gratification. Hence, a threat of more time in jail or the risk of death doesn't influence them to quit.

I have resuscitated an overdosed man in jail in the morning only to see him overdose the same afternoon.

While society focuses on external control and punishment and policies of prohibition that, in some countries, result in execution, we end up with individuals pushed into undercover lives. This kills the very honesty that could see individuals ask for help.

In Switzerland, a trial involving giving heroin to addicts resulted in a decreased reliance on crime. It allowed the drug recipients to feel valued and to ask for help, and get it.

Instead here we criminalise addicts, kill parent-child communication through stigmatising addicts and offer adolescents a vehicle of rebellion.

We must get honest if we are to stop the denial that goes with the dependency that creates addiction. I tell my patients: "Relief through honesty or heroin, choose your H."

I have witnessed 18 suicides in addicts who felt worthless and hopeless after trying and failing to get off drugs in a world that says you are "cool" if you can handle those drugs but "uncool" if you are under the table or in the gutter.

My working definition of an addict is: "An addict is a valuable person who doesn't know it and seeks relief through the short-cut of drugs to a dead end."

Non-users wouldn't start using just because drugs were legal. They already value their life and health and that wouldn't change. We need to legalise all drugs and tax them and provide education at the point of sale.

We need to use all the millions of dollars of taxes - including the taxes collected from tobacco and alcohol - to help those who have addiction problems and we need to educate about the dangers of all drugs.

We need to stop all drug advertising.

Currently we have a system is which users use, dealers profit and society pays. I want to see a society in which users use and users pay and only legalising drugs can do that.

People who say legalising drugs will make them more available are blind to the fact that now you can get home-delivery, 24 hours a day, sometimes on credit. Free samples are provided from "friends" until users are addicts. That "communion" of non-judgmental drug sharing can contribute to addiction when society rejects you for using.

Condoning and condemning are the language of judgment. I don't choose to do either. I'm anti-drugs but pro-life.

Dr Wendell Rosevear has worked in addiction recovery and prisons since 1975 and founded the Gay & Lesbian Alcohol and Drug Support Group in 1991.

Courier-Mail

Former drug trade player tells his story
Michael Crutcher
April 03, 2009 11:04pm

THIS is a story of Brisbane's grubby underbelly. Its characters are anything but noble - the attractive bikie girl from the rich Camp Hill family, the drug dealer who bound a man in fishing line, and the corrupt cops who were eventually jailed.

And its settings are anything but scrappy - the dealer's headquarters in a flash Spring Hill house and the sophisticated drug lab in a tidy Sandgate home. But there is one uplifting storyline: how a hopeless addict, who knew those characters and those settings, walked out of the underbelly and somehow got himself back into society.

His story starts on his 21st birthday in the late 1990s, when he inherited $50,000 to add to the two cars he had saved for since graduating from a Brisbane private school.

Within 12 months, that money and those cars were gone, burned by a $400-a-day speed habit. His mother was devastated but she couldn't stop her likeable, gentle young man - let's call him Frankie - from being destroyed by a cocktail of amphetamine-type drugs.

Frankie was holding down a job, working late hours in the hospitality industry. That meant he could get up early for his morning ritual - driving more than an hour from Wynnum to Kallangur for his drugs.

If he ran out, his dealer would arrive at his workplace, knock on the back door and hand Frankie a pre-packed syringe.

Frankie would stay late at work with his jaw clenched from the speed. His frying brain would continually prompt him to rearrange the contents of the work freezer or bar fridge.

He would be awake for days at a time, sleeping on his time off when he had poured enough paracetamol and codeine into his body to slow it down. Then he would wake, eat like it was his last supper and resume the madness.

His first jolt came when two dealers who sold to Frankie and his mates turned out to be corrupt cops.

When Frankie and his mates read in the newspaper that Gregory Catton and Peter Reid were police officers, they were shocked and scared. But not scared straight.

By 2003, Frankie had drifted away from his work and into a more convenient job – a delivery driver for a mid-level Brisbane dealer. He had been given a car and he had a clean driver's licence which was worth plenty in the industry.

He had to drive seven days a week but the job had perks – $200 cash and the first half gram of speed thrown in every day.

The day would start at the Spring Hill home which offered CBD views from one side of the house and the backdrop of the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital from the other.

Frankie would meet his boss there, have a quick hit and then head a few kilometres on the northside to the modest house of a drug czar who supplied Brisbane's mid-level dealers.

The czar was the only person Frankie noticed during his drugged days who was not a user. The czar insisted on business hours only and he did not like being bothered outside those times.

Frankie's boss had a mobile phone that rang 24 hours a day with calls from customers. Frankie would deliver daily to about 20 customers, some in upmarket suburbs like Clayfield and Paddington, others at Newmarket and others as far south as Springwood.

During those trips, Frankie followed his boss's strict edict that he not break the road rules. Police attention was never good for business.

But it was different in the dead of night and Frankie would sometimes spear down the Pacific Motorway at 200km/h for a delivery.

By now he was going without sleep for many days at a time and mixing with a sordid cast of characters.

He would watch at night as paranoid users hid for hours in bushes, wearing night-vision goggles to capture the intruders they were convinced were out to get them.

He would watch as another user flicked on a set of floodlights and mowed his grass at 3am.

He would often collect his boss's standover man – a rough bloke who would scare a statue – as he went about belting the bones of users for debts as little as $100.

Frankie was wary of a serious drug user who wore the stolen uniform of an RACQ roadside mechanic because he thought it was a cloak of legitimacy as he prowled the streets at night.

And he was captivated by the blonde daughter of a Camp Hill millionaire who had the best contacts of anyone Frankie had met. She couldn't squeeze another number into her mobile phone database and it seemed as though she knew most of the illicit drug players in Brisbane.

One night, she phoned Frankie while he was in The Beat nightclub in the Valley. She asked him to get his hands on hydrochloric acid and caustic soda for delivery to Sandgate.

Frankie dashed back to his Alexandra Hills home, picked up the goods and headed for a Sandgate house he had never visited. When he arrived, he wondered if the quiet, harmless-looking place was the right address.

The door opened and Frankie saw an upmarket drug lab that was much classier than some of the amateur kitchens he had seen.

Frankie handed over his $20 worth of acid and caustic soda and received $1000 cash for his work.

That amount of money was regularly available to Frankie and his mates but he noticed that no one ever had material goods. There were no big television sets, no expensive houses, no fancy clothes. Money was spent on drugs and the junkies would do anything to get it.

Frankie was part of an organised gang that went to Pallara in Brisbane's southwest to spend a night knocking down telegraph poles to steal valuable copper.

His car was among the few things owned by anyone in his inner circle, and it brought rewards. On one night, the man in the RACQ uniform borrowed it for an hour. He returned three hours later, handed Frankie $1000 cash and never said a word about where he had been.

On another night, the car almost became Frankie's downfall. He was asked to drive a junkie to an industrial estate, where the junkie was making good money stealing at night and selling the goods the next day.

After breaking into a warehouse, Frankie became concerned by the junkie's erratic behaviour and started to leave. The agitated junkie pushed a gun into Frankie's stomach and told him to stick around.

Frankie started to consider his future because the stakes were rising. He had been warned by the blonde girl that bikie gangs were kidnapping drug cooks, getting them hooked on heroin and forcing them to prepare their supply. Frankie wasn't a cook but he wasn't convinced the bikies would believe him.

And he had contracted hepatitis C – a problem that dogs him today.

But one night in a Darra hotel room made up Frankie's mind.

He was told to wait in the room with his boss's girlfriend and her two children aged under two.

The boss arrived, unlocked the boot of the car and dragged out a frightened man bound from head to toe in fishing line.

The woman went berserk, demanding her partner take the prisoner elsewhere. Frankie doesn't know what happened to the captive but he never saw him again.

And Frankie's mates didn't see him again after that day in 2005. He threw away his mobile phone, returned to his mother and asked if he could try to get his 28-year-old body clean.

After some false starts, help from his doctor and love from his family, Frankie made it.

He now has a high-ranking job in Brisbane's hospitality industry and a girlfriend with whom he plans to start a family. His minor brushes with the law from his junkie years have faded away.

As Frankie sipped coffee in Brisbane this week, he wondered how he made it out while at least three of his schoolmates had been sent to jail – one of them had lost his teeth from his years of methamphetamine abuse.

"It's a tragic thing," Frankie said.

"All of us were from good families. I look back on it and think, how did we get there? How did we become the scourge of society?

"We were putrid junkies. Nothing more. Nothing less.

"If I had really known what those drugs would do to me back when I was 21, I don't reckon I would have touched them.

"All my mates told me speed was a good thing. They said it wasn't addictive. It turned me into a monster. I'm just lucky I got out and I'm lucky I had a place to go to where I could clean myself up.

"If I hadn't, I would be dead by now. No risk at all."

[email protected]

Courier-Mail

Drugs minus crims gives users chance
Dr Wendell Rosevear

Courier-Mail

I know this particular article is preaching to the converted, but it is the only one where there appeared to look at real issue. We know the Courier (and other News Ltd publications) push the 'war on drugs line' - but with the majority of heart string pulling stories printed you replace the word 'drug' with 'alcohol' you have the same story.

I have a friend who works as a nurse for Queensland Health in the Drug arm and he states ~5% (or less) of the people they see is due to illicit drugs, alcohol is #1. This isn't a new fact to readers of BL - and I guess the majority of editors and journalists ignore that while enjoying a few drinks post work - or going on their benders.

And yes it is sad that some people have died, and that some people can't control their addiction, don't seek help and innocent folk suffer along the way but....we are not all tarred with the same brush!

Making comments on the Courier web page is monitored - and either it is sheer volume of responses or (here is me stating conspiracy) the monitors are to follow a preferred line of thinking and only publish those comments. The number of messages that state "Kill them all and let god sort it out" shows who their target readership is. There are only a few educated voiced amongst the throng of the angry mob unfortunately.

Following on the thread started by phase_dancer a month or so ago - where to take harm minimization now. Trying to take it step by step....

I will not get started about supposedly educated people believing every thing they read in the mass press (and I work with officially highly educated folk *sigh*) - and to think that it was uni that encouraged me to question what is in print...

School leavers at risk over drug awareness failure
Tanya Chilcott
April 06, 2009 12:00am

QUEENSLAND schools are putting their students at risk because of their failure to teach drug awareness in schools, experts have warned.
Drug and Alcohol Research Training Australia director Paul Dillon said school leavers were completely unprepared for facing illegal drugs, especially ecstasy because it was not taught in Queensland state schools.

"The only information they get is either from the media, which tends to be focused on the unusual, and of course their friends," Mr Dillon said.

"Unfortunately, we have had now, the last three or four years of young people going through our school system and coming out the other end and not being in the least bit prepared when it comes to ecstasy."

He said it was inappropriate to teach about ecstasy before Year 11 because it normalised it, but senior teachers struggled to find time for drug education.

Mr Dillon said wide-reaching pastoral care programs meant private school students often received better drug education.

Meanwhile, one drug education program taught in schools is gradually shutting down following a funding withdrawal by the State Government.

Life Education, which is funded by the New South Wales, South Australian and Victorian governments, had its Queensland funding withdrawn in 2000.

Its Queensland chief executive Michael Fawsitt said the organisation had more demand from schools than resources, with programs forced to shut down in Cairns, Maryborough, Mackay and parts of southeast Queensland.

"I think they are letting the children of Queensland down because all they have achieved in the past eight years is that fewer children are accessing our program, that schools are being denied an important drug education resource and yet the drug problem in Queensland is not going away," Mr Fawsitt said.

An Education Queensland spokeswoman said drug education was "a significant priority" for state schools and was "generally provided" in Years 1-9 Health and Physical Education and the senior health syllabus.

She said students who did not do HPE after Year 9 still received drug education through pastoral care programs and special units within curriculum at times.

The spokeswoman said the State Government did not endorse any single drug education program, with schools choosing education resources using their own budgets.

Courier-Mail[

It's pretty full on, and most of the material seems original (even if it's the same broken record) the only copy that looks reproduced is Monday's advice from government information on how to talk to your kids about drugs.

You are right, it's mostly original, but it was interesting to see a report from pillreports being lifted straight into the newspaper... again, you never know where your writing will end up once it's online!

Worst Case of Journalism in Australia's History?

I have been reading the Courier-Mail with absolute disgust. Is this the worst case of journalism in Australia's history?

Check out the clips from the current affairs show, Today. Here and here. How many myths did you spot?

I am doing an article on it now but wrote this recently:

Over the last week, I have been reading and watching some insanely bad reporting from the Courier-Mail. The Queensland arm of Murdoch's trash media empire is doing a special report called The Drug Scourge which has the feel of a 1980s style drug hysteria story. It’s backed up with TV stories from related networks. No wonder the public are so misinformed and scared, this is the worst journalism I have ever seen. I wonder if the public will ever get a chance to make an informed opinion about drug policy with such crap infiltrating their lives. I heard one “specialist” claim that a third of first time methamphetamines users become addicted and a member of the Queensland State Drug Investigation Unit said this about ecstasy “Look, it's a drug, it can be abused. I think you could never safely administer it”. When you stand back and admire it for it’s total lack of credibility, it becomes very entertaining. I’m surprised there hasn’t been more written about it because you couldn’t write a better comedy about the subject if you tried. It’s really that bad. The serious faces and alarming clichés, the suggestions that society has lost control, the use of words like “epidemic” and “scourge”. This is not to be missed!

-The Australian Heroin Diaries - Good Writers, Bad Writers, Undercover Cops & Heroin

^^ Hi Terry, welcome to bluelight.

...this is the worst journalism I have ever seen... When you stand back and admire it for it’s total lack of credibility, it becomes very entertaining....

Yeh the courier mail is trash in general but this drug scare campaign has been ludicrous. The real problem with media like this is that a good deal of people exposed to it don't look at it critically; it's accepted at face value by people who don't know better as being accurate and well researched. I'm probably sounding like a broken record but skills for critical analysis need to be taught more in school not left for post-grad uni!!! 8)

Tanya Chilcott - The Courier Mail said:
An Education Queensland spokeswoman said drug education was "a significant priority" for state schools and was "generally provided" in Years 1-9 Health and Physical Education and the senior health syllabus.

We recently had a thread debating how (in)effective drug education is in state schools.... if it exists at all. We've accepted that teaching "abstinence" to our youth is pointless in terms of sex education, so why only teach "say no to drugs" when it comes to drug education? Yeh I know 99.99% of people will have sex at some stage and what (30%?) of young people in Australia will use illicit drugs; still cause enough to re-evaluate current curriculum. If I recall correctly a safe drug use pamphlet was published and distributed in a school in NSW briefly last year until some ultra-conservative types kicked up a fuss and had them recalled. What a joke.....

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2008/s2276909.htm

There we go.

^ and the worst thing about that pamphlet been pulled was that it was actually a well written unbiased useful tool that had the potential to help a lot of kids make smart decisions

Hi Terry :) Glad to see you joining up and posting. Copying these articles in every day was pretty nauseating I have to admit... guys, you should check out Terry's blog that he's linked to too. I'm a big fan <3 :)

Welcome and I hope to see you around.

I was real surprised to read that pro legalization in the Courier Mail thread. Kind of goes against their whole "drugs scourge" bollocks they have been printing huh. Good article, though the rest are appalling.

Thanks Belarki & Hoptis for the welcome.

Yes, the pro legalisation article was a spinner. Right in the middle of this hysterical example of trash media comes an article that debunks their whole "Special Report". LOL :\

Has anyone tried to comment? I got a few through but mostly the articles don't print them.

Also, did anyone watch the TV spots they had linked to? Really funny stuff.

And another drug scourge article today, must be that time of week at the courier mail again?

This time they've dug back up the recent death of that young girl Rosie Bebendorf who allegedly bought some allegedly ecstacy tablets in the valley and allegedly overdosed on them. Yeh it turns out she was a regular meth IV user and the autopsy showed she had fresh needle marks on her arms. Putting two and two together the courier mail deduced she obviously must have died from injecting ecstacy! and her parents claim she wouldn't have injected it herself so someone else must have done it to her..... deluded much? :p Disgusting that the death of this poor girl is being splashed across newspapers in such a misguided attempt to demonise a drug like this and push the message of the journalist!

And another drug scourge article today, must be that time of week at the courier mail again?

This time they've dug back up the recent death of that young girl Rosie Bebendorf who allegedly bought some allegedly ecstacy tablets in the valley and allegedly overdosed on them. Yeh it turns out she was a regular meth IV user and the autopsy showed she had fresh needle marks on her arms. Putting two and two together the courier mail deduced she obviously must have died from injecting ecstacy! and her parents claim she wouldn't have injected it herself so someone else must have done it to her..... deluded much? :p Disgusting that the death of this poor girl is being splashed across newspapers in such a misguided attempt to demonise a drug like this and push the message of the journalist!

Wow. This is why they need to not publish news reports on this crap until all the facts are out.

Useful link, Terry :)

Though ice has been around for nearly 40 years and similar effects can be achieved from injecting methamphetamines, a media panic started not long after heroin became less prominent in the media. As the government cranked up the ice rhetoric so did the media’s reporting of violent incidents. The truth is, there have always been violent incidents involving drug use and the main cause is alcohol but with a slight increase of aggressive behaviour involving methamphetamines, the time was ripe for a new epidemic to catch the media’s eye.

how very true. although the availability of crystal did seem to proliferate around the time that heroin phased its way out, to some extent.

Yeh I'm reading through some of your blog posts when I get the time Terry, well-written and entertaining. I hope you have the opportunity to become an active bluelight member :)